Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Dan, Jesus (Oxford) has terrible lawns in its quads. Anchemis, imo Trinity is very large, and, err, that's it. Not a pretty college at all.

Oh, I quite like Downing at Cambridge as well. Very distinctive. Looks great on misty or wintery days especially.

ReputationRep:
    "Jesus, Cambridge - really beautiful and where I'm off to"

Bleuuurghhh! Jesus is one of my least favourite Cambridge colleges. Brasenose is nice, though, especially the view of the Rad Cam from its quad.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, that last post didn't make much sense in isolation. Was just saying that although I disagreed with the Jesus-goer's #2 entry, I could see where they were going with #3.

ReputationRep:
    what have you got against jesus? i think it looks pretty and i dont even go there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sock Puppet)
    Cambridge is a more beautiful city, but its colleges are imo somewhat ugly compared to Oxford's.
    Ugly? You ever been to Caius and John's? They are gorgeous.

ReputationRep:
    John's looks nice from the outside, especially from the Cam. Inside the appeal diminishes somewhat. Doesn't it seque into a nasty 1960s extension? (Queens' has the same problem on its section west of the Cam.)

Caius I must admit I've spent little time in.

On the whole I find that Cambridge's colleges have a tattier feel than Oxford's. And Willa, as I say, Jesus (Oxford) has some of the most badly-kept lawns in the university. It's the least interesting college on the Turl architecturally as well imo. I think Exeter and Lincoln are far prettier. Lincoln looks stunning at sunset, and Exeter's main quad looks beautiful at night.

ReputationRep:
    i'm referring to jesus cambridge.....you got anything against that college!?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I think it's ugly! It's reminiscent of a big victorian secondary school building. I would say that it's my least favourite of the central (well, central-ish) Cambridge colleges. Christ's just down the road is much nicer. I bet the messiah was far happier with that one.

ReputationRep:
    John's looks nice from the outside, especially from the Cam. Inside the appeal diminishes somewhat. Doesn't it seque into a nasty 1960s extension? (Queens' has the same problem on its section west of the Cam.)

Caius I must admit I've spent little time in.

On the whole I find that Cambridge's colleges have a tattier feel than Oxford's. And Willa, as I say, Jesus (Oxford) has some of the most badly-kept lawns in the university. It's the least interesting college on the Turl architecturally as well imo. I think Exeter and Lincoln are far prettier. Lincoln looks stunning at sunset, and Exeter's main quad looks beautiful at night.
    You obviously haven't spent much time in either Caius or John's. Both are beautiful colleges full of little cobbled courtyards. Yes, John's has Cripps Court a way down the river, but it's actually not on the main site; I think even in Oxford it's fair to say that the old college buildings are unlikely to be able to accommodate all their students so it is kind of necessary to add some more modern buildings to house them :rolleyes: Oxford and Cambridge are both pretty; if you feel that Cambridge's colleges are ugly perhaps you need to look at them again? Preferably some other than Churchill and Fitz... I can name loads of beauties. Christ's, Corpus, Caius, John's, Magdalene, Pembroke...

I am glad to hear you obviously prefer Sidney to Jesus though :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    You obviously haven't spent much time in either Caius or John's. Both are beautiful colleges full of little cobbled courtyards. Yes, John's has Cripps Court a way down the river, but it's actually not on the main site
    Cripps isn't actually too bad. It's tucked away a bit, and there is a kind of architectural progression if you walk from the front to the back of college, so it doesn't look too out of place.

ReputationRep:
    You may have hit upon something there. I think I'm right in saying that Cambridge colleges tend to house their students in college for more of their stay there, and to do so have often had to put up rather ugly extensions, whereas Oxford's colleges generally stay as they are and force increasing numbers of students to live out.

It's absolutely true that I've spent more time in Oxford's colleges than in those of Cambridge. Maybe the latter are an acquired taste? Many of them feel bigger and somewhat plain. I really do think Kings would be fairly dull without the chapel. Trinity, as I've said before, is big but rather lacking in any charm. (Christ Church at Oxford, its closest point of comparison, isn't one of my favourites, but I think it's far nicer-looking than Trinity.)

And is there a difference in any of the materials used, or the way they've weathered under differing conditions? A lot of Cambridge's colleges seem grimier than Oxford's.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting... Are the Oxford colleges covered in cladding? A lot of the Cambridge ones are (I hate it!) - don't know if that makes a difference? - maybe it makes the general griminess stand out? It's funny you should mention grime actually - I was walking back from King's tonight moaning about the state of the chapel! It desperately needs a clean :s: Though to be honest I'm not that keen on King's Chapel - it's a bit OTT for me...

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and btw, I'm being somewhat flip in the use of the term "ugly". Ugly only as a relative term, measured against very high standards. I doubt that if someone took a blindfold off me in the middle of one of the Cambridge college courts I might for a moment think mistakenly that I was at UEA. I do think Cambridge is a very beautiful city, probably more so overall than Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    well... trinity has the 'LARGEST' enclosed quarters in europe or something... plus its thriving history, financial background and honour....

ReputationRep:
    Caius, Emma, John's and Clare are realy nice (in cam)

in Oxford, as said it is different. There is more Ivy, for sure, and in somre respects they are better, however, I would Choose Cambridge anyday

p.s. Jesus in Cambridge is really nice, almost applied there.

ReputationRep:
    You may have hit upon something there. I think I'm right in saying that Cambridge colleges tend to house their students in college for more of their stay there, and to do so have often had to put up rather ugly extensions, whereas Oxford's colleges generally stay as they are and force increasing numbers of students to live out.

It's absolutely true that I've spent more time in Oxford's colleges than in those of Cambridge. Maybe the latter are an acquired taste? Many of them feel bigger and somewhat plain. I really do think Kings would be fairly dull without the chapel. Trinity, as I've said before, is big but rather lacking in any charm. (Christ Church at Oxford, its closest point of comparison, isn't one of my favourites, but I think it's far nicer-looking than Trinity.)

And is there a difference in any of the materials used, or the way they've weathered under differing conditions? A lot of Cambridge's colleges seem grimier than Oxford's.

In Oxford, a lot of the colleges have used Cotswold stone as opposed to brick in the a lot of Cambridge. The effect of the stone in summer is amazing when the sun is shining - it looks like it's glowing, v.beautiful.

Brick is not seen as very attractive in Oxford, as demonstrated by the Keble brick removal society.

ReputationRep:
    I can't think of any brick anywhere near me. well not redbrick.

ReputationRep:
    cambridge, being mostly brickwork, has suffered more from pollution over the years. brickwork is virtually impossible to clean. e.g. silver street and drummer street. those colleges that appear not to be made from cambridge brick have stone cladding e.g. pembroke.
    oxford colleges are generally made of stone so appears 'brighter' - "a city of aquatint" (waugh). but personally, i don't like the heavier traffic in oxford city centre. all those buses on high street and around balliol. urgh! cambridge is prettier overall, but Ox colleges are prettier individually.
    p.s. cambridge buses that run through the very centre are gas fuelled. has this not dawned on Ox city council yet? Ox traffic is skank!

ReputationRep:
    Redbrick looks nice when it's clean, eg. LMH. Keble is right between two fairly large roads so is pretty filthy by comparison.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    I can't think of any brick anywhere near me. well not redbrick.
    Doesn't have to be redbrick, though there is some in Cambridge.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.