The Student Room Group

Can I get to Medicine?

I got my A-Level results
B - Psychology
B - Business
D - Biology

Bunch of 5s in GCSE

Retaking Biology, and did not even get the chance to do A Level Chemistry due to a pass at GCSE. I think I want to do something in this field, after changing from Business, so other job options can be considered like Pharmacy, Phys Associate etc.

An option I was looking at was Aston as my priority is to not move away, so that leaves Aston and Birmingham (they were long gone for any course after I got my GCSEs).

Is it even possible for me to get to medicine? Just exploring my options in this field atm

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Can this thread be moved over there? That would be great.

Yeah, it's a lot of hard work and retakes, not even sure how many years it would take to get the required grades.

I'm exploring other degree options too that would require not moving away. Just wondering if it is truly worth all the effort with 'poor' grades I achieved.
Original post by IAH567
I got my A-Level results
B - Psychology
B - Business
D - Biology

Bunch of 5s in GCSE

Retaking Biology, and did not even get the chance to do A Level Chemistry due to a pass at GCSE. I think I want to do something in this field, after changing from Business, so other job options can be considered like Pharmacy, Phys Associate etc.

An option I was looking at was Aston as my priority is to not move away, so that leaves Aston and Birmingham (they were long gone for any course after I got my GCSEs).

Is it even possible for me to get to medicine? Just exploring my options in this field atm

Honestly, no. You’re grades are not good enough so you’ll struggle like crazy at medical school, and universities pretty much all insist on A level chemistry to a B-A* depending on the Uni. Maybe look into psychology or biosciences.
Reply 3
yeah, it's just a consideration at the moment. From the research I've done becoming a doctor does seem interesting.

I'll need to check which unis will actually allow me to resit all the subjects and how many resit years they accept.
Reply 4
hahaha! Yeah, I've already done experience in a pharmacy, so therefore have gotten a very small taster of what the NHS is like. Also seems like A Level Chemistry isnt needed at all in Pharmacy (for community at least)!

Cool, I'll check that link out
Original post by IAH567
hahaha! Yeah, I've already done experience in a pharmacy, so therefore have gotten a very small taster of what the NHS is like. Also seems like A Level Chemistry isnt needed at all in Pharmacy (for community at least)!

Cool, I'll check that link out

afaik Keele and Bradford are the only pharmacy schools which don't require chemistry. You have to take chemistry if you want to persue medicine though.
Original post by hungrysalamander
You have to take chemistry if you want to persue medicine though.

That's not strictly speaking true. It is possible to find medical schools which don't require A-level Chemistry in order to start a Medicine degree.
Reply 7
afaik Keele and Bradford are the only pharmacy schools which don't require chemistry. You have to take chemistry if you want to persue medicine though.

yeah all other ones require Chemistry. Also from my limited research Birmingham dont even consider GCSEs except for a B in GCSE Maths, so they may be worth looking into two gap years to achieve what's needed to go there.

Aston allow 1 resit year, but this doesn't mean that I won't have to work extremely hard to get my GCSEs up and A Level Chemistry grade. hmm...
Reply 8
Original post by han.578
I don't know if this is a plausible option, but couldn't you a different degree, then apply for the graduate medicine course?

Ive went through this forum a little, and have seen has adamantly stated that going into a degree just for GEM is stupid as its really competitive.
(edited 2 years ago)
Not OP, but I have 9s (A star) in all my sciences (Bio, chem, physics, psychology and maths), but I have a 6 (B) in my English language.

Is this enough for medicine. I am looking into Queen Mary Medical school?

Would appreciate a reply please.
Reply 10
Original post by Candycane101
Not OP, but I have 9s (A star) in all my sciences (Bio, chem, physics, psychology and maths), but I have a 6 (B) in my English language.

this is a joke right? those grades are very good.
Original post by IAH567
this is a joke right? those grades are very good.

Oh my god! You got me scared with your first sentence.!
I was just asking because of my English grade (it was teacher assessed anyway)
Would you think it is okay or should I appeal??

Yea just get a good ucat score and check GCSE requirements for each medical school
Reply 13
Oh my god! You got me scared with your first sentence.!
I was just asking because of my English grade (it was teacher assessed anyway)
Would you think it is okay or should I appeal??

there are a lot of medical schools that would accept you
Yea just get a good ucat score and check GCSE requirements for each medical school

I meet the requirements of many of the schools but I am scared of the competition as medicine is sooooo competitive! Thank for the reply though!
What do yo think is a 'good UCAT' score ??
I meet the requirements of many of the schools but I am scared of the competition as medicine is sooooo competitive! Thank for the reply though!
What do yo think is a 'good UCAT' score ??

It's definitely possible to get a medicine offer with a 6 in gcse english lang. I have a 6 in gcse english lang too and have an offer for dentistry in september. As for the UCAT anything above 2700 is good imo with band 1-2 SJT.
It's definitely possible to get a medicine offer with a 6 in gcse english lang. I have a 6 in gcse english lang too and have an offer for dentistry in september. As for the UCAT anything above 2700 is good imo with band 1-2 SJT.

What a relief! Thank you very much. I am just getting a bit more information for my knowledge. Congratulations on your offer!!!

Also, when do you sit the UCAT/BMAT exam roughly? I apologise for my lack of knowledge on this!

Also what resources are there to revise for it? Any recommendation would be appreciated:smile:
Also if you don't mind me asking where did you get your offer from? You don't need to answer this if yo don't want to:smile:
What a relief! Thank you very much. I am just getting a bit more information for my knowledge. Congratulations on your offer!!!

Also, when do you sit the UCAT/BMAT exam roughly? I apologise for my lack of knowledge on this!

Also what resources are there to revise for it? Any recommendation would be appreciated:smile:
Also if you don't mind me asking where did you get your offer from? You don't need to answer this if yo don't want to:smile:

The UCAT is between August and the start of September. You can book the exam yourself at a time you like. The BMAT is at the start of November and you have to contact your school to take the exam. I didn't take the BMAT so not sure about resources; as for the UCAT I'd recommend medify or medentry.

You can find more info about the UCAT here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6864776&page=249
The UCAT is between August and the start of September. You can book the exam yourself at a time you like. The BMAT is at the start of November and you have to contact your school to take the exam. I didn't take the BMAT so not sure about resources; as for the UCAT I'd recommend medify or medentry.

Thanks for the reply. Okay I see.
Do you have the exam during year 12 or 13?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending