reasons for bullying Watch

This discussion is closed.
horrorboy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
i don't understand how people can say people bully others out of jelousy :confused: If this is true, how come it 'seemed' to be the 'scruffy', 'geeky' people who were no good academicly and no good at sport. How could the bullies be jelous of them? :confused:
Of course despite their unfortunate characteristics they were very nice people and certainly didn't deserve to be bullied
No Future
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Because they'd probably end up with higher paid jobs eventually...
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I was bullied because I'm fat
visesh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by juno_the)
Ah so that answers the question i asked the other day :eek:

I was "bullied" because I knew too much :rolleyes: .
frost105
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I've been on both sides I'm ashamed to say. i was bullied in middle school because I was so obnoxious and loud. Then in high school I bullied 2 girls with another group of girls.

I'm not sure why I joined in. I think I was so miserable myself I actually took pleasure from making others miserable around me. Anyway I got to see the 2 of them a year ago and got to apologise about my behaviour. They accepted the apology but I will always have to know that i behaved so appallingly once.
horrorboy
Rep:
?
(Original post by No Future)
Because they'd probably end up with higher paid jobs eventually...
how would they? about 2 of them i know who were bullied are now cleaners. One is a window cleaner and the other one scoops up litter full time at the bus station.
dogtanian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think what the threadstarter is trying to ask is what is the 'root cause'.

I mean, I don't know how big you are, or if you are at all. But it's not your weight that caused the bullying. If that was the case, everyone who you met or knew would have bullied you...

I don't know what it is. I'll have to stick with the cliche: It's for all different reasons.
horrorboy
Rep:
?
(Original post by frost105)
I've been on both sides I'm ashamed to say. i was bullied in middle school because I was so obnoxious and loud. Then in high school I bullied 2 girls with another group of girls.

I'm not sure why I joined in. I think I was so miserable myself I actually took pleasure from making others miserable around me. Anyway I got to see the 2 of them a year ago and got to apologise about my behaviour. They accepted the apology but I will always have to know that i behaved so appallingly once.
yeah i suppose the main revenge on bullies is guilt and shame. Anyway is there any chance you bullied out of jelousy?
frost105
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by horrorboy)
yeah i suppose the main revenge on bullies is guilt and shame. Anyway is there any chance you bullied out of jelousy?
No. If anything I had more than they did. I just remember being miserable and just enjoyed others being miserable too.
Jump
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think theres a thin line between lighthearted piss-taking and hurtful bullying, some people can't see the line...
Toy Soldier
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Hayley...)
I mean, I don't know how big you are, or if you are at all. But it's not your weight that caused the bullying. If that was the case, everyone who you met or knew would have bullied you...
Also, you'll find plenty of fat people who AREN'T bullied. To be bullied for being fat, I think you'd have to be both fat and shy. It's definately more to do with confidence though. I've never seen a confident person being bullied.
silverleaf
Report 14 years ago

Perhaps people in your situation join in with the bullying because they know that if they don't they'll be the next victim. Only a theory, I don't know your situation.

It's a basic human need to feel part of a group, to feel like you belong. There is a lot of pressure to go along with whatever the group does, even if no-one actually agrees with it they're too scared to be "different" and do their own thing.

Often even the "lead bully" does this because they are expected to behave in a certain way by others, i.e they live up to their stereotype.

This group mentality means that anyone who is in some way different has to be punished, to make people who are part of the group feel more secure in their own role. By pointing out how different someone else is, you reaffirm how similar you are to the rest of the group.
horrorboy
Rep:
?
No. If anything I had more than they did. I just remember being miserable and just enjoyed others being miserable too.
If i had bullied someone in high school the only pleasuse i can imagine getting from it is increasing my self esteem/feeling better (kinda what you said) and increasing my authority/control (so id feel more popular )

i guess thats partly answered the thread
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by visesh)
Ah so that answers the question i asked the other day :eek:

I was "bullied" because I knew too much :rolleyes: .
I'm not that fat though! And I've lost loads of weight recently (I put it all back on though )
Natalie Lane
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Wouldn't that make you jealous of the fact that they were happy while you were feeling miserable then?
visesh
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm not that fat though! And I've lost loads of weight recently (I put it all back on though )
I blame the caloric intake involved with all that alcohol consumption
Mad Vlad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
There's no excuse for bullying anyone. Any victim of bullying is infinitely better than a bully. Thats my opinion. Bully's do it for the attention it brings... it shows their friends and everyone else that theyre better than so and so for doing this. Then everyone else copies them because they see that it will make them seem cool. Its sickening. Its an ego trip thing.
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by visesh)
I blame the caloric intake involved with all that alcohol consumption
It's a well known fact that if it's clear it has no calories
Cirsium
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
*shrugs* gets me... i jus got bullied for being unable to talk
visesh
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It's a well known fact that if it's clear it has no calories
If you say so, dear.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (44)
44%
Pro-humanity (56)
56%

Watched Threads