The Student Room Group

oxford open application

I am applying for law 2022 entry and have a few questions:
1. Is it possible to get into a large college like this(eg Christ Church, Magdalen etc.)?
2.Does it increase your chances?
Original post by TSR2020
I am applying for law 2022 entry and have a few questions:
1. Is it possible to get into a large college like this(eg Christ Church, Magdalen etc.)?
2.Does it increase your chances?

1. Yes
2. No. The last stats I saw - for History, E&M and H&E - indicated that Open applicants in all of these actually did rather worse overall than other applicants. Once they got through to interview, however, they did as well (but not better) than other applicants. I suspect this may be because some Open applicants have spent less time researching their application generally, and may submit substandard applications as as result.

As I often say in answer to this question, there is absolutely no advantage to making an Open application. All you do is minimise the chances you will get into the college you really want, and increase the chances of getting into a college you really don't.
Reply 2
Original post by OxFossil
1. Yes
2. No. The last stats I saw - for History, E&M and H&E - indicated that Open applicants in all of these actually did rather worse overall than other applicants. Once they got through to interview, however, they did as well (but not better) than other applicants. I suspect this may be because some Open applicants have spent less time researching their application generally, and may submit substandard applications as as result.

As I often say in answer to this question, there is absolutely no advantage to making an Open application. All you do is minimise the chances you will get into the college you really want, and increase the chances of getting into a college you really don't.

Thanks for the reply!
In terms of the first question what do you think the likelihood is for getting in to Magdalen for example?
And generally, how are the applications processed?(college or faculty first etc.)
Original post by TSR2020
Thanks for the reply!
In terms of the first question what do you think the likelihood is for getting in to Magdalen for example?
And generally, how are the applications processed?(college or faculty first etc.)

For law, the admissions office will reassign
applicants if a college is significantly above or below quota. That is done without regard to strength of application. Thereafter admissions decisions are solely a matter for the colleges and the only role of the faculty is to disseminate information about candidates so that each college is fully informed particularly about unplaced students.

The faculty has a greater role in the Law and Law Studies in Europe course because no college has a fixed allocation of places for the course or the individual countries.

The statistical likelihood of getting in to Magdalen and of getting into Oxford if you apply to Magdalen is published in each year’s admissions statistics on the Oxford website.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending