The Student Room Group

How do you like the name "Kelija" and would you name your daughter Kelija?

So quite recently I have come across this name that I have never heard before, it is pronounced in the following way: Kel - ee - yah

I suppose there are probably alternative spellings of that name as well

I personally think it is one of the nicest names that I have heard

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I wouldn't name my daughter Kelija because she would have to either correct everyone she met on the pronunciation, or change her name.
it's a nice name i guess
i wouldn't be entirely oppossed to naming my child this. but I don't have any particular desire to.
Original post by Sinnoh
I wouldn't name my daughter Kelija because she would have to either correct everyone she met on the pronunciation, or change her name.

I really wanted to share the original spelling but I suppose it would have to be something more like "Kelyah" but then it would miss out on the nice soft "ee" sound in the middle of that name
Original post by Obolinda
it's a nice name i guess
i wouldn't be entirely oppossed to naming my child this. but I don't have any particular desire to.

It's really original and super rare
Reply 4
I also think it’s a really nice name. I just googled it and apparently it’s Irish. I thought it would be more middle eastern since it reminds me of my friends name “Khadija”, also I tend to like middle eastern names lol
It's alright I guess, would I name it my daughter? Eh, depends on whether the baby-momma like it, its her choice 🤷🏼*♂️
Wouldn't spell it like that but it sounds nice
Original post by ashtolga23
Wouldn't spell it like that but it sounds nice

Just wanted to share the original spelling tbh, I got used to pronouncing 'j' as 'y' in many different languages and being aware of 'i' being pronounced as 'ee'. What spelling would you go with if you were to go with Kelija? I think "Kelyah" would be the simplest solution but it would miss out on the pretty 'ee' sound in the middle of that name
Sounds like most Arabic girls names tbh. It is pretty nice tho
Original post by Justaboutalive
Sounds like most Arabic girls names tbh. It is pretty nice tho

Does it really? The origin is actually more like Baltic, Scandinavian or Irish
I like the name. Has a different ring to it but I have already another name planned for my future daughter ><
Original post by Halfeti Rose
I like the name. Has a different ring to it but I have already another name planned for my future daughter ><

What is it?
No, I wouldn't choose that name for a baby.
I have five friends living in australia, the usa and israel whose names sound very similar but are spelt differently.
Original post by londonmyst
No, I wouldn't choose that name for a baby.
I have five friends living in australia, the usa and israel whose names sound very similar but are spelt differently.

Interesting, I always value your opinion in particular
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Robert Walpole
Just wanted to share the original spelling tbh, I got used to pronouncing 'j' as 'y' in many different languages and being aware of 'i' being pronounced as 'ee'. What spelling would you go with if you were to go with Kelija? I think "Kelyah" would be the simplest solution but it would miss out on the pretty 'ee' sound in the middle of that name

I was thinking Keliya probably.
Everyone's gonna mispronounce it, nice name other than that.
Not hating it but not loving it either, its just ok.
I have no strong feelings on it but I wouldn't name my daughter that because I prefer more traditional names.
I assumed it would rhyme with Elijah.

I hate spelling out my own name all the time (fairly common name but lots of different spellings), so personally I wouldn't choose such an unusual name for my child.

It does sound nice though.
I don’t like it at all and will not be naming my daughter that.

Quick Reply

Latest