Krimnal
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I'm going into year 10 in September and I've heard alot about starting revision from then but how would I go about it.
Oófie
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 months ago
I just finished year 11 and you do not need to be worried about revising for the final exams in year 10. Do revise for the topic assessments, and make flashcards ect that you could use for the exams but don't worry about the exams (or constantly reviewing the flashcards) until year 11. Also doing well in the topic assessments means less revision in year 11, and higher predicted grades, which can be really motivational when you get them. To be honest I probably spent more time doing extra curricular stuff than revision in year 10 and I did pretty alright in GCSEs. Enjoy yourself
annabrownbridge
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
Hi!

You should DEFINITELY start revising when you start Year 10. No doubt about it.

Different methods of revision work better for some people than others. Search some up on google or Youtube and have a go at each - see what works for you. I personally find that decorating my notes helps me get a lot more invested into my work, that's how I got 9s in both my English exam sections! I was predicted 4s until I began using this method!

Once you find a suitable and efficient revision method, create a timetable that you can rely on and most importantly: stick to. This will help you get into the groove and will help you motivate yourself each time you want to study. If you let your parents know you're going to study at these times, they will leave you alone so you can get more done, which is just a little added bonus.

As for how long you should do this, at this stage I would maybe aim to do around an hour to 45 minutes worth of revision on some select days, not every day - you need to have a life. On any subject you like for now. however when it gets to be around the time that you have to start doing your mocks, I would up this to about an hour to an hour and a half per each day you decide to study, on the subject that your next mock is on. If you have 2 mocks on the same day - 45 minutes each, 3 mocks - 30 mins each and etc. When you get to Year 11, I would personally up this again, but it's your choice.

just a bit of personal advice more than general here - don't let anyone other than your friends and your teachers know you're studying. There's a lot of nasty people (likely to be the chavs) who will call you names like 'teacher's pet' and 'neek' or whatever. Keep your studying to yourself to avoid all of that. If it does get out, ignore it. They'll be the ones who come out with 2s and 3s on results day whilst you're there with your 7s, 8s and 9s. Trust me, I've been in this EXACT position on my results day a few days ago.

Overall don't let studying take over your life. Make sure not to forget to ENJOY Years 10 and 11, they are your final years until you start looking for higher education! Go to those parties, meals and sleepovers. Live out your teenage life to the fullest whilst you still have the chance.

Hope this helped
Last edited by annabrownbridge; 9 months ago
LilHan20
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
Hi I'm going into yr 10 tomorrow, and what I'm going to do, which might not work for you, is make revision materials all through Yr 10 like flashcards and notes, then in Yr 11 I will revise for maybe 30 minutes a day up until the Christmas holidays, then in January I'll do about 1-2 hours per day and keep upping the revision time but I definitely won't do more than 4 hours per day obviously I'm not going to revise every day to avoid burnout but thats my plan so maybe try to find something that works for you, Good luck in Yr 10 xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (88)
67.18%
No (29)
22.14%
I didn't use it to prepare (14)
10.69%

Watched Threads