Ismail_U031
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
How should I greet thee?- With silence and tears.

Is “silence” a verb or a noun in this context?
I think it’s a verb
ilovepuppiez
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Noun
Last edited by ilovepuppiez; 3 months ago
Anna Schoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Ismail_U031)
How should I greet thee?- With silence and tears.

Is “silence” a verb or a noun in this context?
I think it’s a verb
It is definitely a noun in this context, as "tears" are. The two words have the same function, after "with". For example: "with milk and sugar" - both milk and sugar are nouns here, although both words could also be verbs in other contexts: to milk a cow, to sugar a pill.

Added to which, the verb, "to silence", is transitive - so you always silence somebody, you cannot just silence. In the context of this quotation, the verb silence does not make sense - "silence and tears" implies immense sadness or grief (I remain silent while I cry), whereas the verb "to silence" implies a more aggressive attitude (I silence you) - so why would I be crying?
Ismail_U031
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Thank you so much !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (67)
33.33%
Yes - a trusted person (54)
26.87%
No (53)
26.37%
I'm not sure (27)
13.43%

Watched Threads