The Student Room Group

Be honest, what are your genuine opinions when you see families with 7-10 children

or more?

Scroll to see replies

If they are paid for by them and have enough equal parenting, then good luck.
(edited 2 years ago)
Torn between envy and pity, envy because they have continued their line and pity because of the work that they will have to bear
I worry about if the parents can give enough attention to their children. I’m friends with a girl of 5 abd the oldest sister looked after the 3 youngest a lot which isn’t fair.

That being said if the parents have enough money and are able to manage it then great.

At the end of the day it’s not really my business to judge them when I don’t know what kind of parents they are or what their kids are like
"They must be extremely family-orientated".
I feel sorry for the children. Especially if they're living in cramped conditions
Reply 6
I feel exhausted just thinking about it

It's not that weird to me, though - my Nan was one of ten and some of my family still have like 5 kids, so the big family thing doesn't really phase me
They've probably got a rich full life, whatever that particularly means...
Each to their own, personally I don't like it and I'm Asian so its common in my family to see 5-7 children. I got lucky, my parents only had three kids but even I think three is too many. I think two kids is the perfect amount. But my mum and dad both had 6 siblings and were happy with it and my cousins who are part of large families were happy to have lots of sibling so.... I dunno.
In the most respectful way ever I think you must be bloody crazy, why would you give yourself that much work??

But I do believe children are a blessing and so long as they are being loved and cherished and not ignored and are happy then who am I to judge.
The two things I hate though are

-when they have several kids on the tax payers money
-or when they have more and more and then expect the eldest children to play second-parent without even asking if thats what they want. THAT to me is incredibly unfair, selfish even. You (the parents) wanted the kids, YOU should be the ones looking after them.
Reply 10
I think it’s selfish. The older children almost always have to sacrifice some of their childhood to look after their younger siblings. It’s even worse if they can’t afford it.
they're rich!
I tend to wonder if the parents are religious, wealthy, low income but committed to quiverful or if they are secular people that have opted to continue a family tradition of larger families.
A few single fundamentalist christian friends are hoping to be tradwives and have at least 8 biological children.
Quite a few of the people I grew up with were raised in culturally traditionalist or religious households that favour having 4+ children.
Original post by Delusion6
In the most respectful way ever I think you must be bloody crazy, why would you give yourself that much work??

But I do believe children are a blessing and so long as they are being loved and cherished and not ignored and are happy then who am I to judge.
The two things I hate though are

-when they have several kids on the tax payers money
-or when they have more and more and then expect the eldest children to play second-parent without even asking if thats what they want. THAT to me is incredibly unfair, selfish even. You (the parents) wanted the kids, YOU should be the ones looking after them.

If the parents have childless and spouseless relatives, they can simply have them lighten up the work for them instead of leaving them to the older kids.
Original post by SlaveofAll
If the parents have childless and spouseless relatives, they can simply have them lighten up the work for them instead of leaving them to the older kids.

IF thats what they want. Let them offer.
Original post by Delusion6
IF thats what they want. Let them offer.

That's a good solution, though.
Reply 16
I'd be like 'I don't envy you at all' and then smile internally knowing that I get to go home and sleep peacefully without any interruptions. :h:
Reply 17
Original post by SlaveofAll
That's a good solution, though.

Not every childless or spouseless couple wants to help look after children though, many of them are childless by choice now. They don't hate kids but that doesn't mean they want to always babysit yours.
Original post by Allie4
Not every childless or spouseless couple wants to help look after children though, many of them are childless by choice now. They don't hate kids but that doesn't mean they want to always babysit yours.

I never said that they should take the duty without consent.
I would judge families like that nowadays in developed nations. You can’t possibly have enough time to look after the emotional needs of 10 children, even if you can afford to look after them. A lot of the worst parents seem to have the most children.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending