Alevel Choices for Law

Watch this thread
__annaaa__
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
can someone help me out 😭 i have to confirm my subject choices but i’m indecisive and not sure. i want to do law at uni (preferably a russell group uni) and i’m thinking of taking history for sure but i’m not sure about my other 2 subjects.
i am debating whether to do english literature or not, it seems really hard and i like english but i don’t know if i’ll be dedicated enough and history already seems hard enough. i’m torn as it is also a respected alevel and could help a lot with skills. i was thinking of doing psychology too but i’ve seen a lot of people say it isn’t interesting or fun, but i want to try something new? since i’ve already done sociology at gcse, however sociology seems more chill.
so i’m not sure if i should do 2 facilitating subjects and struggle, or do 1 facilitating subject then 2 others (sociology and psychology).
the unis i want to go to don’t have preferred subjects but i just want to be safe, i’d rather get the grades needed.
thank you
ilovepuppiez
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 months ago
History is hard but so is English lit! Personally I’m doing English lit, history and English language (only because I rly enjoy English lol)

As long as you have essay subjects like history, and English lit, ur good to go.

Maybe a third option like psychology would be good to show you’re also good with maths/science.

2 facilitating subjects are preferred.

I’m worried about hisotry tho because it seems SOOO long lmao
AmIReallyHere
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
Sociology, History and Psychology are all essay subjects - which helps with Law but you will be doing a lot of writing (even if you do lit) - hope you are ready for it!
Last edited by AmIReallyHere; 9 months ago
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
Law does not require any specific subjects - just high grades.
So pick the 3 subjects where you feel the most confident of A grades.

PS. 'Facilitating Subjects' was a concept that was dumped by RG Unis 2 years ago : https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...s-subjects-hit
AmIReallyHere
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by McGinger)
Law does not require any specific subjects - just high grades.
So pick the 3 subjects where you feel the most confident of A grades.

PS. 'Facilitating Subjects' was a concept that was dumped by RG Unis 2 years ago : https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...s-subjects-hit
Oxford asks for essay subjects and Cambridge states essay subjects are useful preparation - if someone's A-Levels were less essay related subjects, they wouldn't really be showing a possibility to be doing the essays nd arguments that Law requires
absolutelysprout
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
english lit a level is hard, involves a lot of reading but you should be ok if you do lots of practice essays. i'd only take it if you think you'd enjoy it though. i really enjoyed a level psychology, it's not too hard and i found it very interesting. probably best to research the specifications of the subjects you think you're taking and see which one appeals to you the most. i've a friend who's doing law and politics and he did bio, chem and politics at a level so as long as you've got at least one essay based subject you'll be fine.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by AmIReallyHere)
if someone's A-Levels were less essay related subjects, they wouldn't really be showing a possibility to be doing the essays nd arguments that Law requires
Marketing legislation means that Universities must clearly state the subjects they require for each course - there is not 'secret information' that only some people know.
kennykhchan
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by AmIReallyHere)
Oxford asks for essay subjects and Cambridge states essay subjects are useful preparation - if someone's A-Levels were less essay related subjects, they wouldn't really be showing a possibility to be doing the essays nd arguments that Law requires
Hi, just want to ask is an essay based subject for Oxford?
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by __annaaa__)
can someone help me out 😭 i have to confirm my subject choices but i’m indecisive and not sure. i want to do law at uni (preferably a russell group uni) and i’m thinking of taking history for sure but i’m not sure about my other 2 subjects.
i am debating whether to do english literature or not, it seems really hard and i like english but i don’t know if i’ll be dedicated enough and history already seems hard enough. i’m torn as it is also a respected alevel and could help a lot with skills. i was thinking of doing psychology too but i’ve seen a lot of people say it isn’t interesting or fun, but i want to try something new? since i’ve already done sociology at gcse, however sociology seems more chill.
so i’m not sure if i should do 2 facilitating subjects and struggle, or do 1 facilitating subject then 2 others (sociology and psychology).
the unis i want to go to don’t have preferred subjects but i just want to be safe, i’d rather get the grades needed.
thank you
History, psychology and sociology are fine. I'd go with those.
AmIReallyHere
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by kennykhchan)
Hi, just want to ask is an essay based subject for Oxford?
Yes, I've reread it and misunderstood - both Oxford and Cambridge only say it is helpful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (146)
29.26%
It went fairly well (236)
47.29%
It didn't go too well (74)
14.83%
TERRIBLE! (43)
8.62%

Watched Threads