Liam1001019
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I’m applying for uni next year, I have already got my grades and they are A*AA.
I was going to study law as it’s a respected degree however I actually really am not interested in it at all!
I really like business, I did it as an a level and it’s something I think I will thrive in and do really well.
My concern is that it’s not respected as a degree and people see it as a waste of time or an easy/pointless degree.
Is it actually worth studying or is it a waste of my grades?
I really want to study business but I don’t want to waste my time :/
Any advice will be appreciated !
fifi.a
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
Have you considered law and business degrees? It's basically 50:50 of each so you still get to what you like and still have that practical edge with the law and that degree is very highly regarded! But In my opinion I would go with what I'm interested in and I don't business is a subject for you to worry that much about especially if you succeed with a high grade you'll be able to progress onto many different fields
Last edited by fifi.a; 5 months ago
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
There's no point doing a law degree if you don't want to go into law - it's not even needed for that so definitely not worth it if that isn't your aim anyway!

If you enjoyed business at A-level then by all means continue it to degree level. Personally I think there are a lot of really fascinating subjects available at degree level other than business which would be just as "good" in terms of your graduate prospects but, you should pursue what you find interesting!

Ultimately graduate schemes aren't really that fussed what you studied your degree in and you would be seen equally whether you studied law, business, anthropology, Ancient Near Eastern Studies, or marine biology. What really makes the difference is the relevant work experience you developed while on your degree through internships, placements, etc. That is what sets applicants apart from the crowd, not the subject they studied.
Liam1001019
Rep:
(Original post by artful_lounger)
There's no point doing a law degree if you don't want to go into law - it's not even needed for that so definitely not worth it if that isn't your aim anyway!

If you enjoyed business at A-level then by all means continue it to degree level. Personally I think there are a lot of really fascinating subjects available at degree level other than business which would be just as "good" in terms of your graduate prospects but, you should pursue what you find interesting!

Ultimately graduate schemes aren't really that fussed what you studied your degree in and you would be seen equally whether you studied law, business, anthropology, Ancient Near Eastern Studies, or marine biology. What really makes the difference is the relevant work experience you developed while on your degree through internships, placements, etc. That is what sets applicants apart from the crowd, not the subject they studied.
May I ask what else you would recommend? Yeh I guess I just know people look down on business/management degrees and I know I’m capable of a more demanding degree, it’s just I would rather do something I enjoy if ygm? Like the optional topics at Bristol for business really interest me for example!
Liam1001019
Rep:
(Original post by fifi.a)
Have you considered law and business degrees? It's basically 50:50 of each so you still get to what you like and still have that practical edge with the law and that degree is very highly regarded! But In my opinion I would go with what I'm interested in and I don't business is a subject for you to worry that much about especially if you succeed with a high grade you'll be able to progress onto many different fields
Thankyou! I will defo look into that! Yeh I know I can do really well especially because it’s something I enjoy! It just feels like a waste to do something I enjoy when I’m capable of a more demanding degree but maybe I’m just worrying too much about what other people think of my degree idk
fifi.a
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Liam1001019)
Thankyou! I will defo look into that! Yeh I know I can do really well especially because it’s something I enjoy! It just feels like a waste to do something I enjoy when I’m capable of a more demanding degree but maybe I’m just worrying too much about what other people think of my degree idk
ahhh i get you 1000% when i explain my degree to people I do get that "wow" response a lot and it does make a big difference and trust me, telling people you study law AND business will really give you an edge! if that's the case I would especially look at the modules (optional ones too in 2nd year) for each uni you are interested in so you are happy and satisfied with the ratio of it and see yourself doing well in the degree! (if you decide one way or the other as long as you like the modules and see yourself enjoying them and doing well then you're set!!)
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
May I ask what else you would recommend? Yeh I guess I just know people look down on business/management degrees and I know I’m capable of a more demanding degree, it’s just I would rather do something I enjoy if ygm? Like the optional topics at Bristol for business really interest me for example!
Who do you think looks down on this?

I don't think employers look down on business degrees, at all.

If YOU like studying business, and you think you would enjoy this degree then go for it! It's your life, so please don't make your decisions based on what other people think!
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
I wouldn't necessarily recommend anything - it depends entirely on your academic interests! I would say, pick the course that appeals to you intellectually/academically the most, without thinking about (supposed) job prospects. Since generally job prospects will be similarly mainly dependent on the work experience you personally obtain, you can then just pick whatever it is that interests you most. If that's business then, go with that.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Look at 'Business and ....' degrees or Business with a work placement or with study abroad - both will add greater value to your degree.

Remember that Business at degree level will be very different to A level - go to some Open Days in September and listen to the subject talks to make sure it is really what you think it is and really what you want to do.

Business courses at Exeter - http://business-school.exeter.ac.uk/...ergraduate/#a1
Southampton - https://www.southampton.ac.uk/busine...ate/index.page
Surrey - https://www.surrey.ac.uk/business-sc...aduate-courses
Sussex - https://www.sussex.ac.uk/business-sc.../undergraduate
thatguyme
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I was going to study law as it’s a respected degree however I actually really am not interested in it at all!
I really like business, I did it as an a level and it’s something I think I will thrive in and do really well.
My concern is that it’s not respected as a degree and people see it as a waste of time or an easy/pointless degree.
if you are at a top uni its not a waste of time at all for it as itll help you seriously to get scouted by the big banks etc.
You can get into LSE for it so go there if I was you. If not then go to Warwick or Kings.
Pearson Business School Rep
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi Liam, Pearson College London here.

Sorry to hear that you don't think Business is a respected degree .
I can assure you its not.
I'm in my second year now, currently studying Business Management with Entrepreneurship and currently planning and researching my business idea.
I've definitely learnt some valuable skills studying Business such as: empathy, decision making, essay writing and much more.
I've also learnt different theories and practices which are important into opening your business, such as finance and marketing, that I wouldn't have known if I didn't come to Pearson.

If you want to incorporate Law into your degree, then at Pearson we do offer Law modules within the Business degree.
Have a look at our prospectus: https://www.pearsoncollegelondon.ac....rospectus.html for more help.

Happy to answer anymore questions!
Aisha.
University of Bath
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi Liam,

I am a final year Business student at the University of Bath and I also did Business A-level.

I think it's really important to study something you are interested in as you will be studying it for at least 3 years.

Also, a Business degree is definitely not seen as a waste of time, especially if you go to university renowned for its Management courses. I'd definitely recommend taking a lot at some league tables and figuring out which universities rank highly for their Business degrees. Bath is definitely up there- that's why I chose to go here and have really enjoyed my degree.

My best advice would be to pick something you know you'll enjoy studying and that you'll do well in, because then you will be sure to have a really great university experience.

I hope this helps and I'm happy to answer any more questions you may have!

Best of luck,
Kayley
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (29)
6.9%
October 2021 (193)
45.95%
November 2021 (43)
10.24%
December 2021 (56)
13.33%
January 2021 (46)
10.95%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (39)
9.29%