The Student Room Group

PPE personal statement to apply for HSPS at Cambridge?

I am in a pretty tricky situation, so any advice would be appreciated :smile:
The course I would like to study at university is PPE or econ/politics. Initially, the plan was to apply to Oxford, Warwick, UCL, Bristol and Bath, however after visiting Oxford and Cambridge, I quickly realised that Oxford really isn't for me and I can't really see myself coping with the stress of Oxford PPE.
So now my plan is to apply to HSPS at cambridge, but considering all my other courses are PPE, is it possible for my personal statement (which revolves around PPE) to be competitive for Cambridge HSPS?
If not, then I am prepared to forget about Oxbridge and settle on Warwick as my first choice (assuming i am offered a place.)
(...just as a side, I'm not prepared to tailor my PS to HSPS, as this could risk jeopordising my other 4 PPE applications)
Any advice?
Hi! From what im thinking PPE and related courses are gonna be veryyyy economics heavy so in ur personal statement ur gonna want to talk lots about economic key theories etc, whereas HSPS is more about society and culture… so i’m not sure how well they would mix. Have you thought about straight econ at cambridge?
Reply 2
Original post by jjmilito
The course I would like to study at university is PPE or econ/politics. Initially, the plan was to apply to Oxford, Warwick, UCL, Bristol and Bath, however after visiting Oxford and Cambridge, I quickly realised that Oxford really isn't for me and I can't really see myself coping with the stress of Oxford PPE.
So now my plan is to apply to HSPS at cambridge, but considering all my other courses are PPE, is it possible for my personal statement (which revolves around PPE) to be competitive for Cambridge HSPS?
If not, then I am prepared to forget about Oxbridge and settle on Warwick as my first choice (assuming i am offered a place.)
(...just as a side, I'm not prepared to tailor my PS to HSPS, as this could risk jeopordising my other 4 PPE applications)
Any advice?

I’m thinking of doing this too, did you end up applying for HSPS ?
Original post by n123c
I’m thinking of doing this too, did you end up applying for HSPS ?

I don't really recommend this, for PPE you need a really strong Maths + Economics statement, whereas for HSPS you need to base it more on Politics and Sociology.

This is not to say it cannot be done, if you have a strong SAQ form then you theoretically can do it.
Original post by EternalKnight_02
I don't really recommend this, for PPE you need a really strong Maths + Economics statement, whereas for HSPS you need to base it more on Politics and Sociology.

This is not to say it cannot be done, if you have a strong SAQ form then you theoretically can do it.

lol what, SAQ means literally nothing
Original post by Barbedwireless
lol what, SAQ means literally nothing

This is patently false.
Reply 6
Original post by EternalKnight_02

Ohh thanks for the advice, I was thinking of making my PS mostly political based for PPE tbh, so would a weak PS for PPE would probably focus less on economics? Of course I am going to include economics in my PS, but maybe less so
Original post by jjmilito
Any advice?

Hii i applied for oxford, ucl and have an offer for warwick. what uni did you end up going to and how did you find it!
Original post by Cant.be.asked
Hii i applied for oxford, ucl and have an offer for warwick. what uni did you end up going to and how did you find it!

Congratulations on your offer. May I ask when did you hear back from Warwick and what your predicted grades were?
Original post by User08928719
Congratulations on your offer. May I ask when did you hear back from Warwick and what your predicted grades were?

hii i heard back within 2 weeks and im predicted A*AA with gcses 999999998

Quick Reply

Latest