The Student Room Group

A level options - Geography, economics and.........

So at the moment I have currently picked economics and geography and have computer science put down for the third option however am thinking about maybe changing this as am not particularly confident in the programming side of the subject. I am thinking about maybe taking biology instead however I am not sure whether it would be good by itself and do not really fancy doing chemistry or physics. Math's would be good however I only got a 7 and know it would be too difficult. What would you recommend taking alongside geography and economics? Any help would be very much appreciated. This is also taking into account that I am not too sure what I would like to study at university yet.
Original post by GHPH
So at the moment I have currently picked economics and geography and have computer science put down for the third option however am thinking about maybe changing this as am not particularly confident in the programming side of the subject. I am thinking about maybe taking biology instead however I am not sure whether it would be good by itself and do not really fancy doing chemistry or physics. Math's would be good however I only got a 7 and know it would be too difficult. What would you recommend taking alongside geography and economics? Any help would be very much appreciated. This is also taking into account that I am not too sure what I would like to study at university yet.

Maths is the obvious one. Economics courses at university require Maths A level in most leading universities. Geography at degree level has a Maths leaning on many courses. If you decide not to take Maths then any other subject would be as good as another. How about a new subject such as Politics or Sociology. Biology would also be fine.
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
Maths is the obvious one. Economics courses at university require Maths A level in most leading universities. Geography at degree level has a Maths leaning on many courses. If you decide not to take Maths then any other subject would be as good as another. How about a new subject such as Politics or Sociology. Biology would also be fine.

So if I were not too take maths there would not be a next best subject to take? Maths would be a good option but I want to be able to do as well as possible in the subjects I take and want to feel confident in that I could do well and maths is not my strongest subject.
Original post by GHPH
So if I were not too take maths there would not be a next best subject to take? Maths would be a good option but I want to be able to do as well as possible in the subjects I take and want to feel confident in that I could do well and maths is not my strongest subject.

It wont matter what your third subject is another than if you go further with Economics especially you wont get into most top universities without A level Maths. Government and Politics would go well with Economics but then any subject will be fine. The one subject not to take is Business as some universities count Economics and Business as 1 subject due to them being similar subjects but other than that take what you want and can do well in.
Reply 4
Original post by swanseajack1
It wont matter what your third subject is another than if you go further with Economics especially you wont get into most top universities without A level Maths. Government and Politics would go well with Economics but then any subject will be fine. The one subject not to take is Business as some universities count Economics and Business as 1 subject due to them being similar subjects but other than that take what you want and can do well in.

Ok, thanks for the help 👍

Quick Reply

Latest