Kamikaze094
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi, I just completed my Neuroscience Undergrad in Canada. My Gpa is 3.02 out of 4.

Is this equivalent to 2.1 degree for UK medschool?

I am sitting for UCAT Only.

I am planning undergrad entry to medicine in Ucat. Do i have to apply as a graduate applicant or could i apply with just my high school scores.

Do i have a chance to enter into medschool and if so which university would be my best options,
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
ecolier for this one...
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Kamikaze094)
Hi, I just completed my Neuroscience Undergrad in Canada. My Gpa is 3.02 out of 4.

I am planning undergrad entry to medicine in Ucat. Do i have to apply as a graduate applicant or could i apply with just my high school scores.

Do i have a chance to enter into medschool and if so which university would be my best options,
Are you an international or local student for fee purposes? The competition ratios could be vastly different.

If you are a degree holder, you may well be put into a pot to compete with other grads - it will still be more competitive compared to undergrads applying to the very same course.

Finally, I would come back and ask after knowing your UCAT score - telling you where to apply now would be pointless because if you scored high in your UCAT you may have more options; if you scored low than or recommendations would be wrong.

One more thing - there's a dedicated "which medical school should I apply to" thread. Post in there https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6679038 after you have your UCAT score please.

(Original post by ageshallnot)
ecolier for this one...
:ta:
SyedN
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

I might be wrong but I believe a GPA of 3.3 and above is equivalent of 60-64% which is a upper second class degree (2:1), a GPA of 3.02 is a lower second class degree (2:2).

This will limit the number of med schools you can apply to.
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by SyedN)
I might be wrong but I believe a GPA of 3.3 and above is equivalent of 60-64% which is a upper second class degree (2:1), a GPA of 3.02 is a lower second class degree (2:2).

This will limit the number of med schools you can apply to.
Now THAT is a useful bit of knowledge :king1:
I was going to have to Google it
SyedN
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
Now THAT is a useful bit of knowledge :king1:
I was going to have to Google it
Thank you!

Helps having American cousins lol !
Kamikaze094
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Are you an international or local student for fee purposes? The competition ratios could be vastly different.

If you are a degree holder, you may well be put into a pot to compete with other grads - it will still be more competitive compared to undergrads applying to the very same course.

Finally, I would come back and ask after knowing your UCAT score - telling you where to apply now would be pointless because if you scored high in your UCAT you may have more options; if you scored low than or recommendations would be wrong.

One more thing - there's a dedicated "which medical school should I apply to" thread. Post in there https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6679038 after you have your UCAT score please.

:ta:
Ucat : 2760
SJT: Band 2.

International student international fees.

For southhampton, do i have a shot?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Ucat : 2760
SJT: Band 2.

International student international fees.

For southhampton, do i have a shot?
Note that UK medical schools have a strict quota on how many international students they can take, and so these spots are often much more competitive than the home-fees spots. Also as noted since you are a graduate that may also make things more competitive on top of that.

I think if you are not a competitive applicant for medical schools in Canada/the US you probably won't be competitive for international fees places in the UK. As such realistically I think your GPA is going to really hold you back, unless you have a masters at distinction level or equivalent in hand as well...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (296)
57.59%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (72)
14.01%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (57)
11.09%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (43)
8.37%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
5.06%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
3.89%

Watched Threads