Stressed about my a level choices

Watch this thread
Sb17890
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I have decided to take bio and chem to progress onto either dentistry or optometry however after looking at the content I’m not sure if I will be able to do really good at them and get A/A* which is required by all uni for them courses . I’m worried about taking bio and chem and doing really bad at the end of year 12 . That would mean that I would lose a year .
I looked at dental hygiene and therapy too and u only need biology for uni . It also has a much lower requirement of ABB .
I’m really unsure on what to do . Maybe I lack confidence but any advice would be really helpful
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Sb17890)
I have decided to take bio and chem to progress onto either dentistry or optometry however after looking at the content I’m not sure if I will be able to do really good at them and get A/A* which is required by all uni for them courses . I’m worried about taking bio and chem and doing really bad at the end of year 12 . That would mean that I would lose a year .
I looked at dental hygiene and therapy too and u only need biology for uni . It also has a much lower requirement of ABB .
I’m really unsure on what to do . Maybe I lack confidence but any advice would be really helpful
Hi Sb17890,

Personally, I think one of the worst things you can do before starting an A-Level is looking at the content. You haven't learnt any of it yet, so of course, it will look difficult.

I took A-Level Chemistry. Do you have any specific questions?
Sb17890
Rep:
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
Hi Sb17890,

Personally, I think one of the worst things you can do before starting an A-Level is looking at the content. You haven't learnt any of it yet, so of course, it will look difficult.

I took A-Level Chemistry. Do you have any specific questions?
I looked at paper 1 for aqa a level chemistry and as a gcse student who got grade 98 I’m not able to answer any of the questions and that has really put me of from doing chemistry .
Shall I do chemistry and see for the First 2 weeks of sixthform ?
5hyl33n
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
I looked at paper 1 for aqa a level chemistry and as a gcse student who got grade 98 I’m not able to answer any of the questions and that has really put me of from doing chemistry .
Shall I do chemistry and see for the First 2 weeks of sixthform ?
Of course, you will not be able to answer any of the questions! You haven't started the course! :laugh:

How did you find GCSE Chemistry?
Sb17890
Rep:
Of course, you will not be able to answer any of the questions! You haven't started the course! :laugh:

How did you find GCSE Chemistry?
Gcse chemistry did make sense to me like organic chemistry about the hydrocarbon and fractional distillation and quantitative chemistry but I didn’t like the chemical chnages with the reactions of acids and stuff
5hyl33n
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
Gcse chemistry did make sense to me like organic chemistry about the hydrocarbon and fractional distillation and quantitative chemistry but I didn’t like the chemical chnages with the reactions of acids and stuff
Don't worry, everyone has their favourite/ least favourite topics.

I think you will be fine at A-Level as long as you are willing to study hard.
Sb17890
Rep:
Don't worry, everyone has their favourite/ least favourite topics.

I think you will be fine at A-Level as long as you are willing to study hard.
Thank youu
Are you doing biology too ? If so how are you finding it
5hyl33n
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
Thank youu
Are you doing biology too ? If so how are you finding it
I finished my A-Levels this year. I took Chemistry, but not Biology.

From what I’ve heard, Biology is slightly easier than Chemistry.

Do you have any specific questions about A-Level Chemistry? E.G. the course structure, exam technique, difficulty of topics…
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (64)
66.67%
No (25)
26.04%
I didn't use it to prepare (7)
7.29%

Watched Threads