The Student Room Group

Has Covid effecting Asian mens dating life?

Before covid I think women where not consciously racist but it was unconsciously. I did an experiment with female uni students years ago, asking them what kind of guy they fantasize about. Most of them said white guys, a few said black guys. None said Indian or Chinese men.

Even asking my female friends to help set me up with their friends, they said they have no-one suitable. I asked a close friend who would be honest, and she said that unfortunately none of her single female friends would date a Chinese guy.

Take another example, the actor in Crazy Rich Asians, Henry Golding. I've heard many women say he's hot but not there "type".

Now because of covid, I've noticed it's now more acceptable for women to say "I don't date Asian men".
I think the shrimp **** rumour didn't really help and also Asian hate/racism certainly increased during covid

I think saying I don't date Asian men is a bit on the offensive side as to "I prefer XXX men" - being positive rather than negative being the key point I'm making
I believe that covid and many of the practical consequences arising from the pandemic has somewhat affected everyone's dating life, generally in a negative way for most single guys.

Particularly those located within the uk & usa who heavily rely on bars, clubbing, hookup apps, going to college/work, online dating and student societies to meet potential dates.
I'm not sure about the extent of the impact within sites aimed primarily at 20s+ asian professionals that are seeking to get married like shaadi or religious matchmakers that only cater to members of one specific religion/religious sect.
Original post by Anonymous
Online, I see so many asian men complaining about dating, usually chinese or indian.

It's not your race. If it was about race, you wouldn't have millions of K-pop stans creaming to BTS or Stray Kids.
It's your height and looks. You can't change your height, but you can change your looks. You can workout at the gym, get tattoos, get that bowl-cut hairstyle, switch glasses for contact lenses, brighten your skin or make your skin look better.

If you are not a good looking guy, don't be surprised when white men do better than you on dating apps. It works for both genders, unattractive females or males struggle the same.

^lol this tbh
Clearly you haven't noticed the BTS psychosis that seems to be running rampant.
Original post by Trinculo
Clearly you haven't noticed the BTS psychosis that seems to be running rampant.

Yeah all these underage fangirls or femcel women in their 20s creaming to BTS or Stray kids. And then there are koreaboos and weebs who are a whole other story.

Asian men have it good right now. You just need to improve your looks and social skills really.
Racism.
Lack of Indian or Chinese Men representation in movies etc. Especially south Asians- in particular Indian people.
Racism.
Lack of Indian or Chinese Men representation in movies etc. Especially south Asians- in particular Indian people.

"Especially South Asians- in particular Indian people?" So Pakistanis, Bengalis and Sri Lankans are more represented than Indians in Western film?
"Especially South Asians- in particular Indian people?" So Pakistanis, Bengalis and Sri Lankans are more represented than Indians in Western film?

No. I know Hijabis are represented more than other groups you've mentioned, but all south asians need more representation full stop
Brighten your skin- contributes to colorism, I agree with everything else you said but that brighten your skin comment

Online, I see so many asian men complaining about dating, usually chinese or indian.

It's not your race. If it was about race, you wouldn't have millions of K-pop stans creaming to BTS or Stray Kids.
It's your height and looks. You can't change your height, but you can change your looks. You can workout at the gym, get tattoos, get that bowl-cut hairstyle, switch glasses for contact lenses, brighten your skin or make your skin look better.

If you are not a good looking guy, don't be surprised when white men do better than you on dating apps. It works for both genders, unattractive females or males struggle the same.
I'd say it's prevented racist women from being attracted to them, which is nice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending