Tales of an Overachiever

Watch
thealphabetsays
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Welcome to my GCSE GYG!
My name is Bonnie and I'll be starting Year 11 in September! I am 15 (almost 16).

About Me:
Spoiler:
Show
- My favourite kind of music is country, specifically Eric Church.
- My favourite sport is cricket and my favourite film is Sunshine On Leith.
- I have TMJ (a jaw problem)
- I have mild autism
- I LOVE cricket
- Stationery = basically my life (ask me for a pen recommendation lol)

My GCSE subjects and most recent mock grades:
Spoiler:
Show

English Language (AQA) - 9
English Literature (AQA) - 8
Mathematics (AQA) - 9
Biology (OCR Gateway) - 9
Chemistry (OCR Gateway) - 9
Physics (OCR Gateway) - 9
Religious Studies (AQA A) - 8
French (AQA) - 9
German (AQA) - 9
Business Studies (Edexcel) - 9
Geography (AQA) - 9

My university / A-Level goals:
Spoiler:
Show

For A-Levels, I think I'd like to do Maths, Further Maths and then either Physics, Chemistry, Economics, Geography, French or German. I think I'd like to do Economics at university but God knows where! Possibly Cambridge or maybe the LSE - I visited the latter recently and quite liked the vibe. Honestly, this could all change in the next year though.

I hope you enjoy this GYG! I'll probably update it once a week formally but drop in and chat most days. In the coming days, I'll upload my revision timetable and stuff like that. During the year if I find/make any good revision resources I'll link those.

If you'd like to be added to the tag list let me know!

- Bonnie
Last edited by thealphabetsays; 2 months ago
0ptics
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by thealphabetsays)
Welcome to my GCSE GYG!
I had a GYG last year but I began it so late in the year that I ended up abandoning it, so hello and welcome to my first real grow your grades blog!

About Me:
Spoiler:
Show

I am 15 years old, and you can call me Bonnie! (not my real name, but close enough) I am from the UK. I am currently going into Year 11 so this GYG will document my GCSE progress! My favourite kind of music is country, specifically Eric Church. My favourite sport is cricket and my favourite film is Sunshine On Leith.

My GCSE subjects and most recent mock grades:
Spoiler:
Show

English Language (AQA) - 9
English Literature (AQA) - 8
Mathematics (AQA) - 9
Biology (OCR Gateway) - 9
Chemistry (OCR Gateway) - 9
Physics (OCR Gateway) - 9
Religious Studies (AQA A) - 8
French (AQA) - 9
German (AQA) - 9
Business Studies (Edexcel) - 9
Geography (AQA) - 9

My university / A-Level goals:
Spoiler:
Show

For A-Levels, I think I'd like to do Maths, Further Maths and then either Physics, Chemistry, Economics, Geography, French or German. I think I'd like to do Economics at university but God knows where! Possibly Cambridge or maybe the LSE - I visited the latter recently and quite liked the vibe. Honestly this could all change in the next year though.

I hope you enjoy this GYG! I'll probably update it once a week formally but drop in and chat most days. In the coming days I'll upload my revision timetable and stuff like that. During the year if I find/make any good revision resources I'll link those.

If you'd like to be added to the tag list let me know!

- Bonnie
Here before the format is edited
- forget I ever said anything
Last edited by 0ptics; 2 months ago
thealphabetsays
Rep:
?
(Original post by 0ptics)
Here before the format is edited
- forget I ever said anything
Your secret is safe with me
thealphabetsays
Rep:
?
21st August 2021

I have done very little work this summer . I think I will start my summer work soon, because I have to read Frankenstein and I KNOW that will take me a good week. I also have some biology work which I am dreading.

On a better note, I finished my business work so at least I'm not totally a lost cause. Although I have spent a LOT of time stationery shopping when I should have been studying...it was worth it though!
thealphabetsays
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
23rd August 2021

Hi!! I'm updating again even though it has only been two days, because I got a job! I work in my local bakery and I had my 2nd shift today. Aside from the (blistering) heat it was great - I learnt how to close the shop, make the sandwiches and I even got to take a loaf of bread home. I'm not sure how much I'll get paid but I get paid next week. I have 4 more shifts this week so I'm looking forward to learning lots . If anyone has any advice I'd love to hear it!!! Luckily I managed to miss the worst of the lunch rush as I was on my break. I can't say I'm looking forward to dealing with that...

Thanks for reading this short update!
~ Bonnie
Interea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well done on the job! It's good that they're teaching you at a decent pace, so often you hear about jobs just throwing people in at the deep end
thealphabetsays
Rep:
?
(Original post by Interea)
Well done on the job! It's good that they're teaching you at a decent pace, so often you hear about jobs just throwing people in at the deep end
Thank you! Yeah, I was definitely glad about that - I was really worried that they were going to expect me to be able to do everything, like knowing what all of the bread, pastries and sandwiches were! I've learnt quickly which is good but I definitely couldn't have done any of it if they hadn't taught me.
ApplePi55
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
23rd August 2021

Hi!! I'm updating again even though it has only been two days, because I got a job! I work in my local bakery and I had my 2nd shift today. Aside from the (blistering) heat it was great - I learnt how to close the shop, make the sandwiches and I even got to take a loaf of bread home. I'm not sure how much I'll get paid but I get paid next week. I have 4 more shifts this week so I'm looking forward to learning lots . If anyone has any advice I'd love to hear it!!! Luckily I managed to miss the worst of the lunch rush as I was on my break. I can't say I'm looking forward to dealing with that...

Thanks for reading this short update!
~ Bonnie
Omg that’s great!! You got a job! I really want to get a job when I’m 16
thealphabetsays
Rep:
?
(Original post by ApplePi55)
Omg that’s great!! You got a job! I really want to get a job when I’m 16
Thank you !! Definitely look in the windows of your local shops, some of them will be looking for people less than 16 - the advert I responded to was looking for people 15+!
ApplePi55
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you !! Definitely look in the windows of your local shops, some of them will be looking for people less than 16 - the advert I responded to was looking for people 15+!
Wow that’s great thanks, I’ll follow your advice :-)
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Welcome to my GCSE GYG!
My name is Bonnie and I'll be starting Year 11 in September! I am 15 (almost 16).

About Me:
Spoiler:
Show
- My favourite kind of music is country, specifically Eric Church.
- My favourite sport is cricket and my favourite film is Sunshine On Leith.
- I have TMJ (a jaw problem)
- I have mild autism
- I LOVE cricket
- Stationery = basically my life (ask me for a pen recommendation lol

- Bonnie
Do you have a favourite cricket team or favourite player?
thealphabetsays
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
Do you have a favourite cricket team or favourite player?
I like Yorkshire (I'm Yorkshire born and bred!) - and I like Anderson (although he plays for Lancashire ew) and Root
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I like Yorkshire (I'm Yorkshire born and bred!) - and I like Anderson (although he plays for Lancashire ew) and Root
The racism is quite a concern isn't it?

I follow Essex as I was born there - Alastair Cook personally sgned his autobiography for me I only get to watch in the school holidays so have not seen much since 2019.
thealphabetsays
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
The racism is quite a concern isn't it?

I follow Essex as I was born there - Alastair Cook personally sgned his autobiography for me I only get to watch in the school holidays so have not seen much since 2019.
Yeah definitely, it put me off a bit!

That's amazing about Alistair Cook! Reminds me of the time I met Ryan Sidebottom - unfortunately no memorabilia there . I haven't watched much live lately either as Headingly sells out straight away unfortunately but I am hoping to watch something soon.
thealphabetsays
Rep:
?
7th September 2021

Wooo! Back to school tomorrow for me. Today is all about chilling :cool:. I've watched some TV, and the weather is lovely so I might go for a walk. I have a trip to IKEA planned this afternoon for some last-minute "essentials". I've sorted my pencil case and done some recapping of Year 10 work, although I'm not confident it has really stuck. Not to worry, I have lots of catch-up sessions planned.

To anyone who's already gone back to school; I hope it went alright! The teachers will be saying that everything is different and putting loads of pressure on us but we've got to keep calm ! I have faith in us, class of '22!
thealphabetsays
Rep:
?
Monday 13th September

Hello everyone !

I've had a manic first week back - straight into it.

We've begun our Further Maths course, which I believe is AQA. I'm really enjoying it so far - coordinate geometry anyone?!? As for my other subjects, I have tests in Geography, Business, Physics and R.S. soon, so slightly nervous about those but I'm sure it will turn out fine!

Thought I'd list below my main revision resource for each subject at the moment, a list I'll add to the OP at some point and update .

Maths - MyMaths
FM - also MyMaths
English Language - God knows at this point. I will be starting English Lang this weekend so will update then. If anyone has recommendations, I'm all ears.
English Literature - AudioPi, BBCBitesize, Sparknotes
Biology - Educake
Chemistry - Educake
Physics - Educake
R.S. - this revision book they sold us R.S. Book
French - Memrise/Quizlet
German - Memrise/Quizlet
Geography - Seneca/Revision Guide (CGP)
Business - Seneca

What I've done for myself this week:
- Slept a lot!!!
- Read NatGeo
- Went to see my grandmother
- Drank lots of tea
- Bought some fairy lights to make my room a bit nicer for revising in

I hope that everyone is doing well!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (310)
57.84%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (76)
14.18%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (59)
11.01%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (45)
8.4%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
4.85%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
3.73%

Watched Threads