Tales of an Overachiever

Watch
thealphabetsays
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Picnicl)
Why did you title this whole topic Tales of an 'OVERACHIEVER'?
Because I but so much bloody pressure on myself, as do my parents, which means that I get grades I don't need and are often beyond what I would happily settle for.

And also, I made this quickly and couldn't think of anything else. I was thinking of changing it at some point - any suggestions?
thealphabetsays
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Thursday 13th January

Yay mocks..! Overall I have 13 exams this fortnight - as of right now (Thursday evening) I have completed 7 of these. Just 6 to go.

In my opinion, it all seems to be going okay. R.S was quite good, however, in our lesson after the mock, the teacher was marking my paper and circled something and scribbled next to it. Did it make me slightly worried? Absolutely. But I'm sure it's fine - after all, these are merely practices.

Moving on, Biology went as well as it could have done. English Language, questionable...but it's English Language, and all I'm looking for is a 6. Business was mixed, most likely looking at a 7/8 there.

German writing was the most relaxed exam ever. I had a clash, so sat the exam early, in a room of 8 other people, with a lovely view onto the school field, with the sun shining. I had plenty of time left over, so may have daydreamed a little. Hoping for an 8/9 from that serendipitous exam! Hopefully, it'll drag my other German scores up.

And that brings us to today. I had maths this morning, which definitely went well. There was one question I wasn't entirely sure how to do, but I took an educated guess - as did almost everyone else. I already know I likely dropped one silly mark, but on a paper out of 80 where my aim is 72, not too shabby methinks..!

And finally, this afternoon. Geography. Abandoned at the bottom of my subject priority list, ignored for the stress of maths. 2 nine-markers. 4 six-markers. A myriad of multiple-choice and statistics. I can safely say that my answers in this exam were pure, unfiltered waffle. Honestly...I do think I could have revised more for Geography. But I did know some case studies, and despite not knowing the number of new homes in the Olympic Park, I got through the exam. (I case you were wondering - you weren't - my post-exam Google revealed that the no. new homes was 2818)

Hope anyone with exams is doing okay! And even if you don't have exams, I hope that life is treating you well at the moment.

I will try and update this next week-ish, and I'll start updating with my mock results!
Mythical Pingu
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Hey!

Nice blog - congratulations on getting through more than half of your mock exams! You're doing great

MP
thealphabetsays
Rep:
(Original post by Mythical Pingu)
Hey!

Nice blog - congratulations on getting through more than half of your mock exams! You're doing great

MP
Thanks so much!
thealphabetsays
Rep:
Sunday 16th January

Current mood: English lit can jump off a cliff :bawling: (I am so sorry for that if you enjoy English literature). I had my English Lit mock on Friday afternoon. If I walk out with more than a 6 from that exam, believe me, I will be shocked.

Moving on swiftly, this week has all sorts of delights ahead. Physics, Chemistry, German listening and reading, French writing, and last (and definitely least) French listening and reading. Can't wait... To be honest, though, these are probably (besides maths) going to be my best exams, as I am a sciencey & languagey person.

I've been thinking a lot about A-Levels recently. We have to hand in our choices by March, which seems like ages, but, then again, I have about 4 subjects I have to narrow down to 1. I'm set on Maths, FM and Physics, but I can't decide between the following for my 4th:

• Biology
  • Chemistry
  • French
  • German

I see the benefits of either a language or a science. Chemistry would be especially useful if I end up doing NatSci or chemical engineering, yet a language would be a nice contrast to my other 3 subjects, not to mention that it may make me slightly more employable in the future. But then which language do I pick!?!? So much choice, not enough options. :eek3:

In terms of degrees, I'm currently feeling physics, in particular, quantum, nuclear & particle (love me some quarks <3). I have, like, 2 years though, so no rush there!

Anyways, if you're reading this blog at all thank you so much! I hope you're well and school/life is treating you okay.
Last edited by thealphabetsays; 1 week ago
Cupcakes12
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by thealphabetsays)
Sunday 16th January

Current mood: English lit can jump off a cliff :bawling: (I am so sorry for that if you enjoy English literature). I had my English Lit mock on Friday afternoon. If I walk out with more than a 6 from that exam, believe me, I will be shocked.

Moving on swiftly, this week has all sorts of delights ahead. Physics, Chemistry, German listening and reading, French writing, and last (and definitely least) French listening and reading. Can't wait... To be honest, though, these are probably (besides maths) going to be my best exams, as I am a sciencey & languagey person.

I've been thinking a lot about A-Levels recently. We have to hand in our choices by March, which seems like ages, but, then again, I have about 4 subjects I have to narrow down to 1. I'm set on Maths, FM and Physics, but I can't decide between the following for my 4th:

• Biology
  • Chemistry
  • French
  • German

I see the benefits of either a language or a science. Chemistry would be especially useful if I end up doing NatSci or chemical engineering, yet a language would be a nice contrast to my other 3 subjects, not to mention that it may make me slightly more employable in the future. But then which language do I pick!?!? So much choice, not enough options. :eek3:

In terms of degrees, I'm currently feeling physics, in particular, quantum, nuclear & particle (love me some quarks <3). I have, like, 2 years though, so no rush there!

Anyways, if you're reading this blog at all thank you so much! I hope you're well and school/life is treating you okay.
Sorry that English Lit didn't treat you well. (I hated it too, it was my worst GCSE).

When you pick your A levels, it's always better to pick the subject that you enjoy the most, and can do the best in, rather than one you think will help you get into uni. That way it's not causing you extra stress.

Good luck with your last few exams!
thealphabetsays
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by Cupcakes12)
Sorry that English Lit didn't treat you well. (I hated it too, it was my worst GCSE).

When you pick your A levels, it's always better to pick the subject that you enjoy the most, and can do the best in, rather than one you think will help you get into uni. That way it's not causing you extra stress.

Good luck with your last few exams!
Thanks for the advice! I am thinking I'll just pick chemistry at the moment as I do enjoy it and find it really satisfying.
thealphabetsays
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
Monday 24th January

Mocks are over for me! Actually, I finished last Thursday and I have pretty much sat and watched Netflix since. Relaxation is important. (Question: how long until the "I've-just-done-my-mocks-I-deserve-this" excuse runs out :confused: ??)

Anyways. It'll be this week that I begin to receive my mock results! I suspect I will be getting chem, physics, biology, french at minimum, in addition to the maths I've already had back.

I haven't seen the maths paper yet as we aren't allowed to see them until Wednesday, but we did get our marks. I, by some miracle, some feat, got 80/80. I very nearly screamed - I am so, so delighted with this score. It is now the 4th maths test in a row in which I have gotten 100%, so clearly my recent revision strategies are paying off!

Currently I'm just relaxing and I intend to keep this up until Friday at minimum. Then, well, I'd like to say I'll begin revising, but that's not hugely likely...

Hope everyone is okay & thank you for reading this blog!
thealphabetsays
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
Mock Results

English Language - ?/80 ()
English Literature (Frankenstein only) - ?/30 ()
Maths (non-calc) - 80/80 (9)
Physics - ?/90 ()
Chemistry - ?/90 ()
Biology - ?/90 ()
R.S. - ?/96 ()
Business - ?/88 ()
Geography - ?/no clue ()
German - L - /? R - /? W - /60 S - ?/60 ()
French - L - /59 R - /59 W - /60 S - ?/60 ()

Overall grades:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (17)
6.91%
October 2021 (117)
47.56%
November 2021 (25)
10.16%
December 2021 (32)
13.01%
January 2021 (21)
8.54%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (26)
10.57%