Medicine - GCSE resits

Watch this thread
awm13
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I achieved a grade 6 a couple of days ago on my GCSE results day but, I got all 8s and 9s in my other subjects. I don’t know whether I should resit my GCSE biology exam for a higher grade (hopefully an 8/9) or not - I don’t want it to harm my medicine application if I do decide to apply for that, although, I might not decide to apply for medicine maybe chemistry, natural sciences or chemical engineering instead. Alternatively, I could appeal but my grade could go down and because of grade descriptors used instead of boundaries, I am unsure about how to formulate my appeal as that was the main basis of it (along with me having to complete the exam during a noisy lesson because I had a doctors appointment and was in pain; I was given antibiotics and cream to subside this pain ). I do plan to apply to competitive universities, so what do you propose I do? Should I leave it and stick with my 6? (As my new sixth form did accept me for all the courses I chose) or do I resist? (Since I have three weeks ,from today, to revise before sixth form starts and it is the only subject in resitting).
BurgerEater123
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by awm13)
I achieved a grade 6 a couple of days ago on my GCSE results day but, I got all 8s and 9s in my other subjects. I don’t know whether I should resit my GCSE biology exam for a higher grade (hopefully an 8/9) or not - I don’t want it to harm my medicine application if I do decide to apply for that, although, I might not decide to apply for medicine maybe chemistry, natural sciences or chemical engineering instead. Alternatively, I could appeal but my grade could go down and because of grade descriptors used instead of boundaries, I am unsure about how to formulate my appeal as that was the main basis of it (along with me having to complete the exam during a noisy lesson because I had a doctors appointment and was in pain; I was given antibiotics and cream to subside this pain ). I do plan to apply to competitive universities, so what do you propose I do? Should I leave it and stick with my 6? (As my new sixth form did accept me for all the courses I chose) or do I resist? (Since I have three weeks ,from today, to revise before sixth form starts and it is the only subject in resitting).
I would resit it, why not! It sticks with you for life and biology is really easy to get a 9 in if you try. Considering you have 9s and 8s, it shouldn't be a problem resitting it!
Last edited by BurgerEater123; 9 months ago
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by awm13)
There's a thread about appeals here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=7062276

I think most med schools will not mid a resit GCSE, but the 6 may be an issue for some schools, and may limit the schools you can apply to. Looking through some of the stickies may help you here.

All med schools are competitive, though!
awm13
Rep:
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
There's a thread about appeals here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=7062276

I think most med schools will not mid a resit GCSE, but the 6 may be an issue for some schools, and may limit the schools you can apply to. Looking through some of the stickies may help you here.

Yes, I understand. However, would resitting put me at a disadvantage to other candidates or not? Say if I resat and got an 8/9 or appealed and achieved a 7 would you still advise me to resit? Because of the level of competition at all medical schools, as you mentioned, I feel a bit lost as to what to do and I don’t really have anyone to go to advice to because it’s the summer holidays. To sum up, do you think I should appeal/resit for a better grade as the six won’t cut it anyway?
Last edited by awm13; 9 months ago
awm13
Rep:
(Original post by BurgerEater123)
I would resit it, why not! It sticks with you for life and biology is really easy to get a 9 in if you try. Considering you have 9s and 8s, it shouldn't be a problem resitting it!
Thank you for your response! Do you think it is plausible for me to learn all the content (even the parts that we won’t taught) before the exams are held (I think in November is that right?)
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by awm13)
Yes, I understand. However, would resitting put me at a disadvantage to other candidates or not? Say if I resat and got an 8/9 or appealed and achieved a 7 would you still advise me to resit? Because of the level of competition at all medical schools, as you mentioned, I feel a bit lost as to what to do and I don’t really have anyone to go to advice to because it’s the summer holidays. To sum up, do you think I should appeal/resit for a better grade as the six won’t cut it anyway?
There are a few med schools that will not accept GCSE resits. Birmingham, Nottingham (+ Lincoln) come to mind. There may be a couple more too - Edinburgh and maybe Dundee, as GANFYD said.

But we would still advise resitting your GCSE if it will open more doors.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by awm13)
Personally, I would enter the autumn resits, as it will keep more doors open, and appeal, just in case that gets you a good outcome.

AFIAK the 6 will close more doors than the resit. (Although we are guessing how unis will view things in 2+ years time).
gcse20212004
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 8 months ago

Btw it won’t count as a resit because no actual exams took place this year. So it’s like they’d count it as doing the actual exam
gcse20212004
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
I’m also resitting biology as it was the lowest grade I got. What exam board are you doing
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by gcse20212004)
Btw it won’t count as a resit because no actual exams took place this year. So it’s like they’d count it as doing the actual exam
This is OfQual's position, but some med schools seem to be suggesting they might take a different position on people resitting A-levels in the autumn this year.
awm13
Rep:
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I’m also resitting biology as it was the lowest grade I got. What exam board are you doing
OCR A you? I moved schools so can I still apply to re-sit at my old school?
awm13
Rep:
This is OfQual's position, but some med schools seem to be suggesting they might take a different position on people resitting A-levels in the autumn this year.
So it doesn’t matter for gcse? Please could you explain further (looking at my situation)?
awm13
Rep:
Really?! Could you send me a link to where you found this info?
gcse20212004
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by awm13)
Really?! Could you send me a link to where you found this info?
I don’t really have an official source for it but I’ve been told this by the exams officer at my school
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (269)
42.3%
The paper was reasonable (262)
41.19%
Not feeling great about that exam... (58)
9.12%
It was TERRIBLE (47)
7.39%

Watched Threads