The Student Room Group

Ib target uni

What are the latest ib targeted uni

Scroll to see replies

fym latest. List hasn't changed in the last x amount of years afaik. Except maybe durham being the highest placing semi. rest are on the stickies
Reply 2
What is the list ? Is Oxford brookes any good ?
Original post by Bindu5
What is the list ? Is Oxford brookes any good ?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n1vLYhVzGB_g7_eJKCebn21C8dyb7x5r/view
covers p much all relevant unis. oxford brookes is extreme non-target afaik
Targets: Oxbridge, UCL, LSE, Warwick, Imperial (postgraduate economics course)
Upper Semi-targets: Bristol, Nottingham, Durham, Bath
Lower Semi-targets: KCL, Manchester, Loughborough, Edinburgh, Exeter, and a few others
Rest are non-targets

Most IB and consultancy people come from the targets, some from semi-targets, and very few from non-targets but it is still possible, just depends on your determination.
Original post by Courtesy
Lower Semi-targets: KCL, Manchester, Loughborough, Edinburgh, Exeter, and a few others
Rest are non-targets

Most IB and consultancy people come from the targets, some from semi-targets, and very few from non-targets but it is still possible, just depends on your determination.

Post graduate economics course?
Original post by leviticus.
Post graduate economics course?

Well, I should've been more clear but Imperial'ss finance courses at postgraduate level are very well respected. They only offer STEM subjects at undergrad level I believe.

However, any courses at the targets/semi targets are good enough for getting into IB, but I suspect most people going into the sector would probably do a degree that is finance-related.
Well, I should've been more clear but Imperial'ss finance courses at postgraduate level are very well respected. They only offer STEM subjects at undergrad level I believe.

However, any courses at the targets/semi targets are good enough for getting into IB, but I suspect most people going into the sector would probably do a degree that is finance-related.

I think 50% nowadays do something else like STEM/humanities. Atleast that’s the recent GS summer internship intake. Imperial’s mainly targeted for MSc Finance at the postgrad level I think, don’t think any of the other courses come particularly close in placement.
Reply 8
I am currently a student from university of manchester and doing bsc economics. I know this university is not good enough to make me into investment banks, but if I can get into oxbridge to do a master degree, am I more likely to find a place in investment banks? I have this doubt, because I heard that investment banks pay less attention on students whose undergraduate degree are not from target university, despite having a master degree in target university. But I am not sure of that.
Original post by SongZé
I am currently a student from university of manchester and doing bsc economics. I know this university is not good enough to make me into investment banks, but if I can get into oxbridge to do a master degree, am I more likely to find a place in investment banks? I have this doubt, because I heard that investment banks pay less attention on students whose undergraduate degree are not from target university, despite having a master degree in target university. But I am not sure of that.

People do get into IB as Manchester, just not quite as many as from 'target' unis so I definitely wouldn't rule yourself completely out just off your undergrad alone. But it's true that a master's from a target in a relevant subject can help in IB recruiting
Rest are non-targets

Your source please.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by RoyalBeams
Your source please.

Whether or not you choose to believe it, he's roughly right.
All you have to do is look at the intern cohorts of investment banks or the placement of these unis on Linkedin
Original post by anonuser99
Whether or not you choose to believe it, he's roughly right.
All you have to do is look at the intern cohorts of investment banks or the placement of these unis on Linkedin

Can you show me this, or your search input, on LinkedIn to prove your point?
Can you show me this, or your search input, on LinkedIn to prove your point?

disregard total as it includes consulting, look at column G. Paints a very clear picture.
disregard total as it includes consulting, look at column G. Paints a very clear picture.

That's a really good resource. How does UCL place so well? Some of their courses only need ABB which was lower than what I had to get to get into my non target uni that isn't even on that list, damn
Original post by anyIBers
That's a really good resource. How does UCL place so well? Some of their courses only need ABB which was lower than what I had to get to get into my non target uni that isn't even on that list, damn

And some of their courses require A*A*A lol, it’s not to do with how hard it is to get in but the general prestige of the uni, historic placement/alumni network etc. LSE has some AAB courses for example but is a IB factory.

Better!

I was thinking how the hell can someone tell me Loughborough is a semi-target for IB. It sounded nuts!

From this, one can say:

Targets: LSE, Cambridge, UCL, Warwick, Oxford and Durham

Upper Semi-target: Nottingham, KCL and Imperial

Lower Semi-target: Bath, St Andrews, Exeter, Edinburgh and Bristol

Considered: Manchester, Birmingham, City, Leeds and York
Better!

I was thinking how the hell can someone tell me Loughborough is a semi-target for IB. It sounded nuts!

From this, one can say:

well placement is a *little* misleading. UCL is over twice as big as some of those schools and Imperial is a STEM school so naturally not many people are actually interested in finance in the first place so the number applying is much smaller than say even LSE (which is a tiny school). Typically a lot of people from UCL and Warwick (and increasingly LSE) apply and get nothing, alot of representation comes from sheer numbers applying. Imperial is a top target for MBB though: https://ibb.co/album/ChVCJg
Better!

From this, one can say:

Targets are targets because all* banks visit these universities in networking events and the general consensus is that the targets are the ones that I listed before. Durham cannot be a target because not all* banks visit them in networking events and they are targeted by fewer banks/consultancy firms, so therefore they are a semi-target. Also, all of the targets and upper semi-targets have their own department for Economics but Durham's Economics course is taught in their business school. Whilst I know this doesn't play much of a factor in terms of recruiting, it can give an idea of why it is less targeted by employers.

Also, with regards to me listing Loughborough as a lower semi-target, if you search on LinkedIn you will see that they do place into IB but not as much as the targets and upper semi-targets.
(edited 2 years ago)
well placement is a *little* misleading. UCL is over twice as big as some of those schools and Imperial is a STEM school so naturally not many people are actually interested in finance in the first place so the number applying is much smaller than say even LSE (which is a tiny school). Typically a lot of people from UCL and Warwick (and increasingly LSE) apply and get nothing, alot of representation comes from sheer numbers applying. Imperial is a top target for MBB though: https://ibb.co/album/ChVCJg

But the reality is that banks do focus most of their hiring on FLAME and STEM.

This is why Warwick is so successful with IBs; because of it serious strength in Economics, Maths and [to a lower extent] Management/Finance/Accounting. It also has huge student bodies in these fields.

Imperial has huge student body in all STEM.

Quick Reply

Latest