The Student Room Group

Is a Law degree like Politics?

Hello,

I have applied to study a law degree and have secured a place at a decent university. I have been passionate about studying law for a few years now and I feel that this is the right course for me however, I am extremely worried that law it just like politics. I did politics at A Level for 2 weeks and absolutely hated it. I'm not sure whether it was the teacher but I could not get my head around it at all and now I am worried that the same will happen with my degree. If anyone has any information on this I would really appreciate it.
Reply 1
I did A-level pol in 2019 series and am now studying law. They're not even close. The only cross over is with the topic pertaining to the judiciary and of course some public law stuff.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
no, it's very different from a politics degree. law degree is memorising 100 million cases and points of law along with various legal theories for your 3 hour exam. politics is more like, well, politics and political theory. no need to read very long court judgments or anything like that :smile:

the exception will be you'll have to study public law (Parliamentary Sovereignty, separation of powers etc) so what may happen is you examine political issues from that point of view; but that's still very different from how just studying straight politics would be. you might also study some philosophical political theory in public law and alongside legal theory (Thomas Hobbes, JS Mill for example) but it won't be a requirement you need to know it for an exam or an essay because there's so much material you get to pick and choose and use your own research. did you study law at A level?
Reply 3
Original post by Tinders
I did A-level pol in 2019 series and am now studying law. They're not even close. The only cross over is with the topic pertaining to the judiciary and of course some public law stuff.

That’s the reassurance I needed, do you enjoy studying law? And do you have any book recommendations that I should read before starting just so that I can get a little ahead?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Joleee
no, it's very different from a politics degree. law degree is memorising 100 million cases and points of law along with various legal theories for your 3 hour exam. politics is more like, well, politics and political theory. no need to read very long court judgments or anything like that :smile:

the exception will be you'll have to study public law (Parliamentary Sovereignty, separation of powers etc) so what may happen is you examine political issues from that point of view; but that's still very different from how just studying straight politics would be. you might also study some philosophical political theory in public law and alongside legal theory (Thomas Hobbes, JS Mill for example) but it won't be a requirement you need to know it for an exam or an essay because there's so much material you get to pick and choose and use your own research. did you study law at A level?

Yeah that is true, thank you for explaining everything and no I did not study Law A Level. I did Psychology and Sociology where I am used to writing essays and memorising several cases so I am hoping that I should be okay. Do you have any tips before starting my law degree? Maybe any books I should be reading. I Have read the Secret Barrister and I have also ordered Letters To A Law Student.
Start listening to Radio 4 Law in Action - podcasts here - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006tgy1/episodes/player
Watch lectures by leading academics and lawyers - here https://www.gresham.ac.uk/lectures/?subject=law
Plus : Bingham, T. The Rule of Law (Penguin) and Wacks, R. Law: A Very Short Introduction (Oxford University Press)
Reply 6
Original post by McGinger
Start listening to Radio 4 Law in Action - podcasts here - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006tgy1/episodes/player
Watch lectures by leading academics and lawyers - here https://www.gresham.ac.uk/lectures/?subject=law
Plus : Bingham, T. The Rule of Law (Penguin) and Wacks, R. Law: A Very Short Introduction (Oxford University Press)

That’s great thank you so much!
Reply 7
Original post by Iwww
That’s the reassurance I needed, do you enjoy studying the law? And do you have any book recommendations that I should read before starting just so that I can get a little ahead?

Yeah I really enjoy studying law. Really good fun.

In terms of book recommendations perhaps 'a very short introduction to law' and 'letters to a law student' would be good buys.
Reply 8
Original post by Tinders
Yeah I really enjoy studying law. Really good fun.

In terms of book recommendations perhaps 'a very short introduction to law' and 'letters to a law student' would be good buys.

That’s so good, hopefully I enjoy it too! That’s so funny because I literally ordered those two books before your response
Reply 9
Original post by Iwww
That’s so good, hopefully I enjoy it too! That’s so funny because I literally ordered those two books before your response

Excellent! One thing I would caution you against is when you say you want to 'get ahead' don't go buy a law textbook and try and teach it to yourself. You will get extremely confused.
Reply 10
Original post by Tinders
Excellent! One thing I would caution you against is when you say you want to 'get ahead' don't go buy a law textbook and try and teach it to yourself. You will get extremely confused.

Yes you’re not wrong about that! I’ve been reading Law: A Very Short Introduction just so that I have some background knowledge and already feel a little bit confused. I just think it’s all a bit overwhelming but I am excited to learn from the basics in my lectures so that it all makes sense :smile:
Reply 11
Thank goodness! I have no interest in Politics as of now so that is definitely a reassuring thing to hear.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending