Is this sort of church a cult?

Watch this thread
JVM2020
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
2 years ago, I feel I escaped luckily

A group of guys from London met me regularly in 2019 until July 2019 when I found it too much.

They kept saying I wasnt a disciple yet and the only way was to leave my hometown and move to their Church to be a disciple.

They did say to eagerly examine the Bible everyday which I aim to do my best but discipleship is what I need.

Is this some kind of cult? I did see a post from years ago over a cult calling themselves the Church of Christ going round to take students from Uni and make them pay fees for God etc etc

I'm learning about cults here relating to Church and I know cults are not the works of God and I saw it as Devil's stuff.
username5713179
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 months ago
Ask them yourself
JVM2020
Rep:
I broke off contact to be safe. Couldnt have them do this again

Church is supposed to be where you can be you, not copy others. stay in your lane
SlaveofAll
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
I'm so sorry you have to go through all that. I might be in a mainstream denomination that has been coming to terms with the modern world a bit, but the remaining strictures that prevent me from being free are still intact there.

I can only wish you long-lasting safety and peace of mind.
Ten-Ten
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
They wanted you to live in the church?
JVM2020
Rep:
(Original post by Ten-Ten)
They wanted you to live in the church?
Yes it seems they wanted me to live in the Church

Then they suggested to me to start looking for accommodation in London with christian people. It was rather peculiar and at the time I was in a job that I needed to stay in where I had to be
SlaveofAll
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by JVM2020)

Then they suggested to me to start looking for accommodation in London with christian people. It was rather peculiar and at the time I was in a job that I needed to stay in where I had to be
This is why being secular right from the start is much better than having to follow the restrictive rules of any faith.
londonmyst
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Possibly a cult.
Could also be a very repressive fringe church/religious movement seeking to rigorously control its members, their finances and their access to all external support networks outside of their control.

Always trust your gut instinct and listen to what your common sense is telling you.
Good luck!
JVM2020
Rep:
(Original post by londonmyst)
Possibly a cult.
Could also be a very repressive fringe church/religious movement seeking to rigorously control its members, their finances and their access to all external support networks outside of their control.

Always trust your gut instinct and listen to what your common sense is telling you.
Good luck!
I agree with you

These sorts of societies damage the reputation of the Church and many churches across the World who practice cult have had their image damaged.

Any cult claiming to be Church must be exposed.

You can see that the events involving Prince Harry and Meghan and also the events involving Prince Andrew have now damaged the Royal's reputation.
Ten-Ten
Rep:
Report 10 months ago

That’s quite strange
mathperson
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Yes, it is a cult. I'm glad to hear you escaped.

During a period when I was going through clinical depression, a few year ago, I was taken in by a local Hillsong affiliated 'church'.
Long story short....all nice and smiley on the surface but when I recovered from my depression I realised that it wasn't a church, but a business designed to fleece people. They're only interested in money and control. Same goes for C3 as well as other churches.
SlaveofAll
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
I agree with you

These sorts of societies damage the reputation of the Church and many churches across the World who practice cult have had their image damaged.

Any cult claiming to be Church must be exposed.

You can see that the events involving Prince Harry and Meghan and also the events involving Prince Andrew have now damaged the Royal's reputation.
This should be applicable to any institution with oppressive strictures.
cameroon36
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
2 years ago, I feel I escaped luckily

A group of guys from London met me regularly in 2019 until July 2019 when I found it too much.

They kept saying I wasn't a disciple yet and the only way was to leave my hometown and move to their Church to be a disciple.

They did say to eagerly examine the Bible everyday which I aim to do my best but discipleship is what I need.

Is this some kind of cult? I did see a post from years ago over a cult calling themselves the Church of Christ going round to take students from Uni and make them pay fees for God etc etc

I'm learning about cults here relating to Church and I know cults are not the works of God and I saw it as Devil's stuff.
Offering the "help" to those who are: poor, desperate or looking for the "truth" - that's how cults and extremists find members.

Without the name of their organisation or knowing any of their beliefs I can't say for sure if they were a cult. With Christianity in decline ( especially church attendance) I've seen mainstream churches resort to questionable practices to get new members. They definitely sounded sketchy.
JVM2020
Rep:
(Original post by cameroon36)
Offering the "help" to those who are: poor, desperate or looking for the "truth" - that's how cults and extremists find members.

Without the name of their organisation or knowing any of their beliefs I can't say for sure if they were a cult. With Christianity in decline ( especially church attendance) I've seen mainstream churches resort to questionable practices to get new members. They definitely sounded sketchy.
I knew their Church name.

It would be wise to keep it discreet to avoid alarming anyone or creating chasing.
username5804874
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by mathperson)
Yes, it is a cult. I'm glad to hear you escaped.

During a period when I was going through clinical depression, a few year ago, I was taken in by a local Hillsong affiliated 'church'.
Long story short....all nice and smiley on the surface but when I recovered from my depression I realised that it wasn't a church, but a business designed to fleece people. They're only interested in money and control. Same goes for C3 as well as other churches.
That's the same with a lot of mega churches.

If the pastor rocks up wearing a Rolex while the parishioners starve and if the church does nothing for the poor, pregnant women, and other people in need of Christian help then you're probably at the wrong church.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (27)
27.55%
As I expected (29)
29.59%
Harder (35)
35.71%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
7.14%

Watched Threads