medical school entry requirements

Watch this thread
junaid.05
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Do I need A-level chemistry to get into medical school, can a level applied science suffice for the chemistry requirements?
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by junaid.05)
Do I need A-level chemistry to get into medical school, can a level applied science suffice for the chemistry requirements?
Have you studied biology, as I believe that keeps a lot more options open? I don't believe any med school will let you sub in applied science if they ask for chemistry.

In fact, can you give a full breakdown of your A-levels?
Last edited by SarcAndSpark; 8 months ago
junaid.05
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I’m doing A-level biology, A-level psychology and I’m choosing between picking A-level chemistry and Applied sciences. So I just want to know if i can still get into medical school without doing A-level chemistry?
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
I’m doing A-level biology, A-level psychology and I’m choosing between picking A-level chemistry and Applied sciences. So I just want to know if i can still get into medical school without doing A-level chemistry?
Looking at this list, which may be a little out of date, your options would be pretty limited: https://themsag.com/blogs/applying-t...or-medicine-uk

If you just do biology, and not chemistry, maths or physics, then you're down to:

East Anglia
KMMS
Leicester
Newcastle
NMS
Plymouth
Sheffield

As you can see, you're hugely cutting your options down, and you may not meet other entry requirements for these unis.

Doing chemistry will keep all options open. Doing maths or physics will keep more options open, if you'd rather that than physics.

I don't think applied sciences will help you at all.
hungrysalamander
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
Most medical schools require chemistry A-level so I recommend going for that. Not sure how widely accepted applied sciences are.
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
Generally, Applied anything is not a good idea and chmistry would open more doors
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (140)
43.21%
Not yet, but I will soon (56)
17.28%
No (128)
39.51%

Watched Threads