M.thota
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Basically the title.
Are there other beneficial courses to learn on the side?
Economics or business or even finance , if you want to go into setting up your own business? And I mean as a degree
Anna Schoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by M.thota)
Basically the title.
Economics or business or even finance , if you want to go into setting up your own business? And I mean as a degree
True entrepreneurial skill involves a high level of risk analysis (this is quite different from safety-obsessed risk assessment carried out by your teachers) and an ability to make decisions quickly and under pressure. In my personal experience (having set up a business of my own, and knowing quite a few entrepreneurs personally) these skills are not taught in any A level syllabus.

That being said, I would suggest business management as a useful A level. Economics and finance tend to concentrate on macro stuff - i.e. world markets etc., which, although interesting in itself, is not particularly useful for the entrepreneur who needs to focus on the micro stuff.

Another useful A level - but perhaps not possible for you, as it depends on your GCSE subjects - is a foreign language. There is nothing that pleases an overseas client more than a native English speaker who can at least made a half-decent stab at speaking his or her language! Learning a foreign language also helps you to see things from a different perspective - vital for understanding market behaviour, for example.

A thorough understanding of whatever domain you want to be an entrepreneur in is also an enormous asset. So if you have a particular interest in modern technology, then an A level in computing might be the thing.

As far as degree courses are concerned, I would suggest - if available - a combination of business management and your target entrepreneurial domain. However, many of my most successful entrepreneurial friends do not have degrees at all and personally, I would recommend you to look for an apprenticeship in a company that deals with your target domain. This gives you immediate hands-on experience, whereas a degree, by its very nature, will tend to be more abstract. If your interest in becoming an entrepreneur is to make money, then the apprentice route is certainly a much quicker route to riches, particularly in the UK with their extortionate student loans.
M.thota
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anna Schoon)
True entrepreneurial skill involves a high level of risk analysis (this is quite different from safety-obsessed risk assessment carried out by your teachers) and an ability to make decisions quickly and under pressure. In my personal experience (having set up a business of my own, and knowing quite a few entrepreneurs personally) these skills are not taught in any A level syllabus.

That being said, I would suggest business management as a useful A level. Economics and finance tend to concentrate on macro stuff - i.e. world markets etc., which, although interesting in itself, is not particularly useful for the entrepreneur who needs to focus on the micro stuff.

Another useful A level - but perhaps not possible for you, as it depends on your GCSE subjects - is a foreign language. There is nothing that pleases an overseas client more than a native English speaker who can at least made a half-decent stab at speaking his or her language! Learning a foreign language also helps you to see things from a different perspective - vital for understanding market behaviour, for example.

A thorough understanding of whatever domain you want to be an entrepreneur in is also an enormous asset. So if you have a particular interest in modern technology, then an A level in computing might be the thing.

As far as degree courses are concerned, I would suggest - if available - a combination of business management and your target entrepreneurial domain. However, many of my most successful entrepreneurial friends do not have degrees at all and personally, I would recommend you to look for an apprenticeship in a company that deals with your target domain. This gives you immediate hands-on experience, whereas a degree, by its very nature, will tend to be more abstract. If your interest in becoming an entrepreneur is to make money, then the apprentice route is certainly a much quicker route to riches, particularly in the UK with their extortionate student loans.
Thank you so much!
M.thota
Rep:
?
Thank you so much!
So something like business English and maths a levels?
Anna Schoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
So something like business English and maths a levels?
English is good if you don't have a foreign language, because it teaches you to view things from different perspectives.

And if you like Maths, do Maths!
M.thota
Rep:
?
English is good if you don't have a foreign language, because it teaches you to view things from different perspectives.

Thank you, I will !!
M.thota
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago

Is sociology beneficial?
Arden University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is sociology beneficial?
M.thota
Hello, my degree is in Sociology (a 1st from a major mainstream University). I would say that Sociology is a fantastic subject to study which influences the way in which you look at society/people. However, it sounds to me like Psychology might be more useful to a business environment (I did my MSc in this). There are some really good books out there on the Psychology of business which might interest you.

Have you thought about doing your business degree either with a blended learning approach in Manchester/Birmingham/London or 100% online? Arden offer a really good program

https://arden.ac.uk/our-courses/unde...%20wide%20open.

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
BenRyan99
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Basically the title.
Realistically there is going to be little in an academic university degree that's massively useful for being an entrepreneur. Entrepreneurship is about coming up with new ideas, gaps in the market, etc, whereas this is very different from learning to basically become an academic researcher in a specific subject (the role of most university degrees.

Degrees only impact entrepreneurship if you do a degree in the area that you want to sell goods or services in then that can obviously be beneficial (e.g. if you want to make and sell electrical goods for example, an electrical engineering degree would be helpful). Beyond this, probably degrees like computer science and accounting are most useful due to their practical element, or just general business administration.
Last edited by BenRyan99; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (215)
56.28%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (50)
13.09%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (44)
11.52%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (33)
8.64%
I haven't started researching yet (23)
6.02%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (17)
4.45%

Watched Threads