The Student Room Group

Gcse resit on university

So I got a 5 in English language but I needed to get a 6 min. for medicine. I got A*s for everything except both English with lit being a 6 and lang being a 5. I want to resit the exam and wanted to know if the university would reject me if I did? Currently I just finished my GCSEs so I'm wondering for the future.
Reply 1
Original post by Jhffbbhgxc
So I got a 5 in English language but I needed to get a 6 min. for medicine. I got A*s for everything except both English with lit being a 6 and lang being a 5. I want to resit the exam and wanted to know if the university would reject me if I did? Currently I just finished my GCSEs so I'm wondering for the future.

If you can take exam in October or November then it will not even be seen as a resit. It will just make your application more competitive. Do you know what went wrong?
Reply 2
Original post by Scotney
If you can take exam in October or November then it will not even be seen as a resit. It will just make your application more competitive. Do you know what went wrong?

Hi can u elaborate on more competitive? And what went wrong is that they used teacher assessed grades and I didn't do that so well in the mocks and final exam. Overall I was given a hight 5, close to a 6. And technically they call it a resit as we did exams in June and so I'm doing it again to get a higher grade
Reply 3
Hi can u elaborate on more competitive? And what went wrong is that they used teacher assessed grades and I didn't do that so well in the mocks and final exam. Overall I was given a hight 5, close to a 6. And technically they call it a resit as we did exams in June and so I'm doing it again to get a higher grade

Okay what I mean is you have a load of A*so the obvious question is what is the problem with English. Is there a reason why you find Eng Language more difficult than your other subjects?
Reply 4
Original post by Scotney
Okay what I mean is you have a load of A*so the obvious question is what is the problem with English. Is there a reason why you find Eng Language more difficult than your other subjects?

I found it difficult as in the subject because I was confused at times on what to write and the structuring of my answers were all over the place. Could have done deeper analysis
Reply 5
Original post by Scotney

But the main thing I wanted to know is would I be rejected for doing a resit? Especially if I wanted to apply to medicine. In the future to these top unis
Reply 6
But the main thing I wanted to know is would I be rejected for doing a resit? Especially if I wanted to apply to medicine. In the future to these top unis

can you advise here?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7

Nottingham (and Lincoln), Edinburgh, Aston and Birmingham do not accept GCSE resits. It looks like Aberdeen do not.

Cardiff are OK with it if done within a year of originals. Keele will accept but not if applying with pending grades (must be completed).
I think most others are OK

They meet treat an Autumn resit as first sitting, in which case all would accept it, but clarify if applying to those who do not typically accept GCSE resits
Reply 8
Original post by GANFYD
Nottingham (and Lincoln), Edinburgh, Aston and Birmingham do not accept GCSE resits. It looks like Aberdeen do not.

Cardiff are OK with it if done within a year of originals. Keele will accept but not if applying with pending grades (must be completed).
I think most others are OK

They meet treat an Autumn resit as first sitting, in which case all would accept it, but clarify if applying to those who do not typically accept GCSE resits

Would he be better off to resit having got a 5 for Eng Lang and a 6 for Eng Lit.
Reply 9
Original post by Scotney
Would he be better off to resit having got a 5 for Eng Lang and a 6 for Eng Lit.

Yes, the others all accept resits and only a couple will let Lit substitute for Lang. And as I say, hopefully they will all just take it as first sit if he does it in the autumn
Original post by GANFYD
Yes, the others all accept resits and only a couple will let Lit substitute for Lang. And as I say, hopefully they will all just take it as first sit if he does it in the autumn

Thanks I thought I was right but just wanted to check!
Reply 11
Original post by Scotney
Thanks I thought I was right but just wanted to check!

You are always right! Nice to see you back around :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by GANFYD
You are always right! Nive to see you back around :smile:

Oh thanks!Try my best!:blushing:
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending