The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Are you pressured to get the vaccine?

Do you feel there are pressures from your family, friends, school, university, and certain employers?

If you have felt pressure, do you think it is justified? Furthermore do others have any right to force you to get any sort of medications especially if you don't want to or don't need to.

Volunteer Note: For advice, guidance and up-to-date information on Coronavirus/COVID-19, please check out the NHS, UK Government, and Mind (mental health) web-pages.
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yes. Family, so we can visit Pakistan in the near future... With video calls, they can't really justify it. To the last question, no.
Nope, no pressure. Got it out of choice.
I have felt a bit pressured to get the vaccine. Mainly from certain family members. My friends and I rarely discuss it, and I don't think they'd care either way. Which I feel is quite nice, as there isn't any pressure from them.

I don't feel it is justified, no. It isn't fair to put pressure on someone to get something they might not want. Others don't have any right whatsoever to force you to get any type of medication. It is your body, and your life. Whatever you choose to do is your choice, and you shouldn't be forced into that decision when you don't necessarily feel it is the right one.
Reply 4
Original post by urlocalinmate
Yes. Family, so we can visit Pakistan in the near future... With video calls, they can't really justify it. To the last question, no.

Have you been vaccinated yet?
Original post by Lucifer323
Have you been vaccinated yet?

No, probably will get one next week.
Reply 6
I have received letters myself in the past and texts in relation to Covid Vaccines. Obviously you do expect the NHS to send out letters and texts to millions of people and especially to encourage the elderly and the clinically vulnerable to get vaccinated.

I do think there is a lot of pressure but usually from family & friends.
Reply 7
Original post by ReviseSleeping
I have felt a bit pressured to get the vaccine. Mainly from certain family members. My friends and I rarely discuss it, and I don't think they'd care either way. Which I feel is quite nice, as there isn't any pressure from them.

I don't feel it is justified, no. It isn't fair to put pressure on someone to get something they might not want. Others don't have any right whatsoever to force you to get any type of medication. It is your body, and your life. Whatever you choose to do is your choice, and you shouldn't be forced into that decision when you don't necessarily feel it is the right one.

I can't agree more with respect to your second paragraph.

It's indeed family and friends who usually put the most pressure on you not just to get vaccinated in this case but for other matters too. Think how many times you were pressured in your life by family members.
Yes, although I've sidestepped it. And no, I don't believe such pressure is in any case warranted. My employer - at least currently - has no intention to pressure employees into getting it, which is the bare minimum I'd expect of an employer.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by black tea
Nope, no pressure. Got it out of choice.

That's good news.

If you were pressured how would you have reacted?
Do you feel there are pressures from your family, friends, school, university, and certain employers?

If you have felt pressure, do you think it is justified? Furthermore do others have any right to force you to get any sort of medications especially if you don't want to or don't need to.

If you are intelligent enough to search out the facts for yourself and come to a conclusion on what's best for you, you should be able to withstand what you may feel is pressure.
For myself I look at what the medical profession think is the best thing to do, they are the ones treating covid patients every day of the week first hand, and they also have their own family members to advise ....the majority will say have the jab.
But we live in a free country so it's your choice, if you feel strongly enough that it's not for you don't have it, I like many others have had relatives die and others very ill from it, so I feel fortunate to live in a country where it's free and available to most.
Work made it a requirement to go back to the office for now
Original post by Little pecker
Work made it a requirement to go back to the office for now

Can they enforce this to you or other employees?
Can they enforce this to you or other employees?

Well the manager emailed us saying their approach is to have only double vaccinated people back if they want to come for now.

Whether I turn up to the office and get refused entry isn’t something I’ve explored, imagine it won’t get me great feedback though.
Well the manager emailed us saying their approach is to have only double vaccinated people back if they want to come for now.

Whether I turn up to the office and get refused entry isn’t something I’ve explored, imagine it won’t get me great feedback though.

So it sounds like a form of blackmailing in a few words. Either you get vaccinated or you cannot come back. I really want to know how the Law deals with this specific matter.
Reply 16
Yes and I eventually gave in.

Some kinds of pressure are more justifiable than others. Hounding someone over it or flipping out at them isnt okay. But telling family/friends you dont want to be around them until they're fully vaccinated for your own personal health is reasonable if you're genuinely worried. Its a bit hard since the vaccine has become so politicized and there are so many different opinions, unlike prescription medications that there is not often this level of controversy around.

I think there are serious legal issues with such a policy and thus it's worth testing it imo. Turn up for work. See if they sack you or otherwise discriminate against you. If they sack you I think you'd easily win a law suit. It would be akin to sending black people home.
Most of these kind of threats are just giant poker bluffs.

In the end the TRUTH will be that people can either:

1) Show they've been vaccinated
2) Show they've previously had Covid (and so have natural immunity and are safe to others)
3) Show they don't currently have Covid

Any company who just lets fully vaccinated people turn up for work is being negligent because those people still get symptomatic Covid and spread it to others so by failing to actually test those people employers are being totally negligent and are therefore liable for any damages caused if someone gets Covid from such a vaccinated person.
On the issue of parental peer pressure towards young people I think that's abhorrent and young people should stand firm and refuse the vaccines if that is what they want. This is a life decision, possibly a life and death decision so the decision must be with the individual. Any parent who does not respect the free right of their children to make their own decision in this respect is an appalling person. It would be enough to make me get up and leave home any way I could if I were in such a situation.

Young people are at such little risk of serious Covid illness that I can't see any justification for risking un-fully-tested unapproved mRNA treatments.
Original post by Foxehh
Yes and I eventually gave in.

Some kinds of pressure are more justifiable than others. Hounding someone over it or flipping out at them isnt okay. But telling family/friends you dont want to be around them until they're fully vaccinated for your own personal health is reasonable if you're genuinely worried. Its a bit hard since the vaccine has become so politicized and there are so many different opinions, unlike prescription medications that there is not often this level of controversy around.

The whole matter has been politicalised heavily from the beginning. Covid, Lockdowns, and now Vaccines & Testing are fully politicalised.

Pressuring friends and family to accept or reject medications is just unacceptable and often unethical.

Latest