The Student Room Group

a level options

would i still be able to do an accounting course at uni if i haven’t taken A-Level maths but instead subjects like; economics, statistics and law. there is an option to take accounting but some unis see it as a soft subject so i’m not quite sure what to take?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by ay3sh4t
would i still be able to do an accounting course at uni if i haven’t taken A-Level maths but instead subjects like; economics, statistics and law. there is an option to take accounting but some unis see it as a soft subject so i’m not quite sure what to take?

you need to check the requirements of the unis. its very easy search [uni name] accounting entry requirements
Reply 3
Just to check - why not take a level maths? What was your gcse grade? Is a level statistics available?
Reply 4
Original post by ajj2000
Just to check - why not take a level maths? What was your gcse grade? Is a level statistics available?

I couldn’t take maths as i only got a grade 5 in maths but statistics as an A-level is available.
Reply 5
Original post by ay3sh4t
I couldn’t take maths as i only got a grade 5 in maths but statistics as an A-level is available.

Ah, what a hassle having to study and do exams during covid. My gut reaction (and you should check with your teachers) is that it wouldnt be wise to do a subject like statistics for A level without a higher starting point. Thats not to say you couldn't be successful but it seems an unnecessary risk. For universities getting three good A level grades matters. It also matters a lot for accounting firms and to a lesser extent other accounting jobs. Its way better to get ABB in (for example) history, sociology and geography than ACC in business studies, maths and physics.

For both university applications for accounting and finance AND for job applications for accountancy jobs you should seriously look to resit GCSE maths to get a grade 6. This is a cut off for lots of jobs and many university courses. Again - even if you get a great degree it can stop you getting interviews. You should look to take this either this autumn if available or next summer sittings.
Reply 6
Original post by ajj2000
Ah, what a hassle having to study and do exams during covid. My gut reaction (and you should check with your teachers) is that it wouldnt be wise to do a subject like statistics for A level without a higher starting point. Thats not to say you couldn't be successful but it seems an unnecessary risk. For universities getting three good A level grades matters. It also matters a lot for accounting firms and to a lesser extent other accounting jobs. Its way better to get ABB in (for example) history, sociology and geography than ACC in business studies, maths and physics.

For both university applications for accounting and finance AND for job applications for accountancy jobs you should seriously look to resit GCSE maths to get a grade 6. This is a cut off for lots of jobs and many university courses. Again - even if you get a great degree it can stop you getting interviews. You should look to take this either this autumn if available or next summer sittings.

yes i completely understand. thank you so much for the advice :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest