The Student Room Group

Do I have to pay for equipment recommended to me by my DSA assessor?

So I'm due to start at Sheffield Hallam next month and I was wondering if I have to pay for the equipment that I have been told I need or if that is usual paid for by the University as I had a look at my assessment and summary of costs was over £4000
The costs should be covered by the government via outsude companies through your university. There maybe certain items that you will have to subsidise if you choose not to have what is being recommended.
Original post by TinyPizza256
So I'm due to start at Sheffield Hallam next month and I was wondering if I have to pay for the equipment that I have been told I need or if that is usual paid for by the University as I had a look at my assessment and summary of costs was over £4000

Not generally, they pay, that’s literally the whole point of the DSA. Why did you qualify, as some parts do need payment.
Original post by Kelivesy
The costs should be covered by the government via outsude companies through your university. There maybe certain items that you will have to subsidise if you choose not to have what is being recommended.

ok just thought I'd check
ok just thought I'd check

You’d have to pay some things, or towards some things, depending on what you got.
I had a look at the government website (https://www.gov.uk/disabled-students-allowance-dsa) doesn't really much other than what it's meant to cover, guess I'll find out when it comes to getting the stuff.

I had a look at the government website (https://www.gov.uk/disabled-students-allowance-dsa) doesn't really much other than what it's meant to cover, guess I'll find out when it comes to getting the stuff.

Hey! I'm assuming you've already applied for DSA and had your needs assessed.
The letter the needs assessor provided should have instructions (the needs assessor should tell you what to do next as well).

Generally its software / equipment (e.g. laptop, printer etc). For example, because I have dyspraxia I got a laptop with various software to help with essay planning etc. because my current one wouldn't cope with the software suggested The suppier I got given for equipment was Barry Bennet Ltd. You don't pay for the software equipment they give, but you'll need to contact the supplier to organise the delivery for whatever equipment you've been recommended :yes: If you've been recommended a laptop the only thing you contribute is £200 (unless you want to upgrade to something other than the base model laptop the supplier provided).

Quick Reply

Latest