The Student Room Group

transferring to a private school

did anyone here go to a comprehensive or grammar school for years 7-11 and then transfer to a private school for sixth form? how was your experience? would you recommend it?
Hey ive moved your thread to a more relevant section :h:
Reply 2
Original post by Obolinda
Hey ive moved your thread to a more relevant section :h:

thank you haha
Original post by saharknj
did anyone here go to a comprehensive or grammar school for years 7-11 and then transfer to a private school for sixth form? how was your experience? would you recommend it?

yep I did, and I can confidently say it was one of the best choices I've ever made. I've just finished y12 and I can't wait for y13. I was blessed to meet some great people. It can obviously be hard because some people already have their friendship groups but it's not hard to fit in and teachers give you so much support and guidance - when I started, they organised a buddy for me who would help me get to class and that was amazing and now she is one of my best mates. If you have the opportunity to go to private school for sixth form, I'd say take it... there's more one-to-one and smaller class sizes which help with learning and it's a great place to make new friends and meet new people! :smile:
Reply 4
In terms of the quality of education you receive, I found private school to be much better purely due to the sizes of classes and resources the school has access to. Private schools are, in essence, a business so try to tailor your time there to the individual, so that you get your money's worth. If you're concerned about the social side, it completely depends on the private school you'd be moving to. I found that at the private school I went to, wealth was never really a topic of conversation, people were somewhat down to earth considering their parents were paying thousands of pounds a month for them to be there. As a general rule, it'll be just as easy/difficult making friends as it would be moving to any other school, as there will be a range (not as much as in a larger state school) of different people who you may or may not get along with.

I'd say go for it, it'll definitely be worth it.
Reply 5
Original post by angelgomes
yep I did, and I can confidently say it was one of the best choices I've ever made. I've just finished y12 and I can't wait for y13. I was blessed to meet some great people. It can obviously be hard because some people already have their friendship groups but it's not hard to fit in and teachers give you so much support and guidance - when I started, they organised a buddy for me who would help me get to class and that was amazing and now she is one of my best mates. If you have the opportunity to go to private school for sixth form, I'd say take it... there's more one-to-one and smaller class sizes which help with learning and it's a great place to make new friends and meet new people! :smile:

thank you so much for this! the buddy thing is a great idea
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by bwobs
In terms of the quality of education you receive, I found private school to be much better purely due to the sizes of classes and resources the school has access to. Private schools are, in essence, a business so try to tailor your time there to the individual, so that you get your money's worth. If you're concerned about the social side, it completely depends on the private school you'd be moving to. I found that at the private school I went to, wealth was never really a topic of conversation, people were somewhat down to earth considering their parents were paying thousands of pounds a month for them to be there. As a general rule, it'll be just as easy/difficult making friends as it would be moving to any other school, as there will be a range (not as much as in a larger state school) of different people who you may or may not get along with.

I'd say go for it, it'll definitely be worth it.

thank you for this (i was worried abt being called the broke kid lmao) but yeah, we shall see how the application process goes. i'll be going to a few open days soon so i can really get a feel of the schools. if i can get in, i'll be so happy!! there's also entrance exams that i need to prepare for and so many documents to fill in for the scholarship but i'm going to give it a shot. thanks for reassuring me.
Reply 7
Original post by saharknj

hey! i'm in the exact same boat as you right now- i've been going to a grammar for all of secondary (7-11) but now i have the option to go to a different sixth form which is private but better, but i can't imagine leaving my friends and teachers, even though i'm really excited about this new school. let me know how it all goes! if it helps i think i might just apply to both then decide on results day, but i'm not sure if that's the done thing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending