The Student Room Group

Worth doing an EPQ?

Hi, I'm doing A level computer science, maths, further maths, and physics. Probably going to drop physics. Worth doing an epq? I'm interested in doing a computer science degree at cambridge, imperial or ucl.
Reply 1
Original post by AimPerfectly
Hi, I'm doing A level computer science, maths, further maths, and physics. Probably going to drop physics. Worth doing an epq? I'm interested in doing a computer science degree at cambridge, imperial or ucl.

Not an expert on Computing but I know it's extremely competitive. If I were you, I'd keep all 4 A-Level subjects as they can be advantageous to your application (there's a PDF from Cambridge about the recommended A-Levels for competitive subjects) instead of drop one for an EPQ.
I do those exact subjects. I'd say the epq was worth It as it gave me a whole paragraph to talk about in my PS and I learnt some research skills. However, there is no point doing it if you're not confident that you could get 4A*'s while doing an epq.
Reply 3
Ik this post is old but thought I'd add this for anyone who sees this later.

Just got an offer of BBB so long as I get a B in my EPQ for Computer Science Bsc at Lancaster. Without the EPQ I need ABB.

My epq is mostly related, and the use of C was mentioned in my PS which may have helped.

Unis below the too 15-20 (such as Lancaster) seem to care a lot more about EPQ, so therefore if you are doing 3 A Levels I would highly recommend doing an EPQ unless you are only applying top 10 (and doing that without FM is probably not going to work out anyway, so still
do the EPQ lol).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending