Electric field q

Watch this thread
kswales1
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hi! I was wondering if someone could help me with these questions, or maybe just a) and c)? Thanks for any help in advance
Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 47
Size:  163.7 KB
Eimmanuel
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by kswales1)
Hi! I was wondering if someone could help me with these questions, or maybe just a) and c)? Thanks for any help in advance
Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 47
Size:  163.7 KB
For (a), you can use
Electric force = Charge × Electric field strength
and for (d), it is just using the work done formula.
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
To a.)

As already answered, the Electric force depends on the charge of the particle and electric field within the two plates, so Electic force = charge x Electric field strength.

The Electric field strength in turn is dependend on the voltage within the plates of the capacitor and the distance of the plates themselve:

Electric field strength = Voltage / distance

to c.)

A charge that moves up and down expends potential energy in an electric field in the direction to point B:

W = Electric field * charge * length from A to B

as Electric field strength = Voltage / distance, the formula can be written:

W = (Voltage / distance) * charge * length from A to B
Last edited by Kallisto; 11 months ago
kswales1
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by Kallisto)
To a.)

As already answered, the Electric force depends on the charge of the particle and electric field within the two plates, so Electic force = charge x Electric field strength.

The Electric field strength in turn is dependend on the voltage within the plates of the capacitor and the distance of the plates themselve:

Electric field strength = Voltage / distance

to c.)

A charge that moves up and down expends potential energy in an electric field in the direction to point B:

W = Electric field * charge * length from A to B

as Electric field strength = Voltage / distance, the formula can be written:

W = (Voltage / distance) * charge * length from A to B
Ah ok, thank you so much!!
Does this mean that e) would just be work done from A->B + work done from B->C + work done from A->C?
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by kswales1)
Ah ok, thank you so much!!
Does this mean that e) would just be work done from A->B + work done from B->C + work done from A->C?
It is the sum of work done, yes. It is electric force F = electric field * charge and electric field and electric field E = Voltage / distance. Note: the distance of the two plates!

the distances s are given in the sketch.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (8)
38.1%
Take a gap year (4)
19.05%
Resit my exams (5)
23.81%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (2)
9.52%
I don't know yet (1)
4.76%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
4.76%

Watched Threads