The Student Room Group

Are my A level choices good enough for Oxford Law?

I know I need essay writing subjects, and I got straight 9s for my GCSEs so I know my grades are OK, I’m just worried that my A levels (History, Politics, Economics, Maths and Spanish) aren’t essay-based enough. Could anyone help me out and let me know if they’re ok, and if not what I should change? Thanks

Edit: I’m half mexican so I’m taking the exam without actually doing any lessons since I can already speak, write, and read Spanish almost fluently.
(edited 2 years ago)
Your subjects don't matter as long as the grades are high.
Original post by AlexStricklin12
I know I need essay writing subjects, and I got straight 9s for my GCSEs so I know my grades are OK, I’m just worried that my A levels (History, Politics, Economics, Maths and Spanish) aren’t essay-based enough. Could anyone help me out and let me know if they’re ok, and if not what I should change? Thanks

Edit: I’m half mexican so I’m taking the exam without actually doing any lessons since I can already speak, write, and read Spanish almost fluently.

Why are you 'worried' about these subjects? They're fine. But there's five of them - that's slightly ridiculous. Note, too, that the Spanish will probably be disregarded as you could be considered a 'native speaker' of it - you'd need to check Oxford's position on this - otherwise it's a complete waste of time.

I presume you're 'only' doing 5 for Yr12. Which ones will you be taking forward to the full A level?
as long as you like all the subjects they're fine. i hope you're not taking 5 into year 13 though as that's overkill and unnecessary- it won't give you an advantage over applicants with 3 subjects.
Original post by Reality Check
Why are you 'worried' about these subjects? They're fine. But there's five of them - that's slightly ridiculous. Note, too, that the Spanish will probably be disregarded as you could be considered a 'native speaker' of it - you'd need to check Oxford's position on this - otherwise it's a complete waste of time.

I presume you're 'only' doing 5 for Yr12. Which ones will you be taking forward to the full A level?

Well, my school makes us do 4 A levels and I’ll be taking the Spanish exam so I can get my A level certificate in it, and I’m not obviously Mexican nor have I ever lived in Mexico so I doubt I’ll be considered a native speaker. I don’t really know which ones I’ll be carrying forwards, I’ll drop whichever one I’m worst at or have lost the most interest in. My main concern is that I don’t think my a level subjects are essay-based enough.
Original post by AlexStricklin12
Well, my school makes us do 4 A levels and I’ll be taking the Spanish exam so I can get my A level certificate in it, and I’m not obviously Mexican nor have I ever lived in Mexico so I doubt I’ll be considered a native speaker. I don’t really know which ones I’ll be carrying forwards, I’ll drop whichever one I’m worst at or have lost the most interest in. My main concern is that I don’t think my a level subjects are essay-based enough.

History and politics aren't essay-based enough?

That's besides the point though to be honest, people do the traditional 'all the sciences' A-Levels and go on to do law.
History is the most common A level subject that Law students take - it is definitely very essay based as you will find out when you start the course

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending