taxonomy.
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by CoochieMan)
What do you mean? You should fill out your chemistry and biology grades, not sure what you do if you did double science
i got 8.1 is that good
CoochieMan
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by taxonomy.)
i got 8.1 is that good
According to this https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/schools...interview.aspx the threshold was 8.56 and it's pretty likely to go up, if you're contextual though, I think you'd be fine
A_J_B
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
i got 8.1 is that good
8.1 is likely to be ok- cutoff for both contextual and non contextuals is likely to be 7.5+
Previously the cutoff was different for contextual and non contextuals as the selection process was slightly different.

According to this https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/schools...interview.aspx the threshold was 8.56 and it's pretty likely to go up, if you're contextual though, I think you'd be fine
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Scoring has changed since then, so it is not going to be that crazy! 8 is the maximum a non-contextual applicant can score now
CoochieMan
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
Scoring has changed since then, so it is not going to be that crazy! 8 is the maximum a non-contextual applicant can score now
Oh so is the "offer calculator" on their website inaccurate? I didn't know that I apologise!
Justamamma
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hope you don’t mind me hopping on this discussion! Do you think it’s safe to assume that B’ham UCAT score bands will be similar to last year’s? I’m a bit worried that given B’ham compute their own deciles based on their applicant pool (if I’ve understood correctly) that this could be a bit of a moveable feast. My daughter would have been in their 9th decile last year, and so her score would have been over the 7.5 mark (she’s non contextual). That would change though if she were to drop into the 8th decile this year, and I’m not sure how to assess this based on, for example, the interim deciles that were released yesterday.
Last edited by Justamamma; 3 weeks ago
taxonomy.
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Oh so is the "offer calculator" on their website inaccurate? I didn't know that I apologise!
i actually got 8.4
CoochieMan
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
i actually got 8.4
GANFYD said this

So I think you might stand a pretty good chance depending on how scoring changed.
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
GANFYD said this

So I think you might stand a pretty good chance depending on how scoring changed.
I think cut offs will be a bit under 7.5, but I would want that or more to be safe.
Bear in mind they use SJT for 25% of interview score, so you might not want to lose those marks?
CoochieMan
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I think cut offs will be a bit under 7.5, but I would want that or more to be safe.
Bear in mind they use SJT for 25% of interview score, so you might not want to lose those marks?
I don't think I'll apply to Birmingham then, does Aston do the same?
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Justamamma)
Hope you don’t mind me hopping on this discussion! Do you think it’s safe to assume that B’ham UCAT score bands will be similar to last year’s? I’m a bit worried that given B’ham compute their own deciles based on their applicant pool (if I’ve understood correctly) that this could be a bit of a moveable feast. My daughter would have been in their 9th decile last year, and so her score would have been over the 7.5 mark (she’s non contextual). That would change though if she were to drop into the 8th decile this year, and I’m not sure how to assess this based on, for example, the interim deciles that were released yesterday.
Welcome on board!
Yes, Birmingham use their own deciles, which are genrally higher than the official ones, as they have more high-scoring applicants, but I would suspeect they would be similar to last year. It can increase the risk if you sit right on the bottom of a decile, though
Last edited by GANFYD; 3 weeks ago
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I don't think I'll apply to Birmingham then, does Aston do the same?
As which bit??
If you mean use SJT, no, they don't.
They add achieved A levels to GCSE for 2/3 of interview score with UCAT for the rest, and may well carry that forward for post-interview scoring, too, but the interview itself is just MMI (or whatever online alternative they may be pushed into this year)
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The calculator had historically massively over-estimated chances of an interview, but I have not played around with it this year, to see how it is calibrated.
Have appraisal coming up and drowning in mandatory e-learning
CoochieMan
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
As which bit??
If you mean use SJT, no, they don't.
They add achieved A levels to GCSE for 2/3 of interview score with UCAT for the rest, and may well carry that forward for post-interview scoring, too, but the interview itself is just MMI (or whatever online alternative they may be pushed into this year)
I meant SJT, and I'm glad they don't. Ahh I think I'll apply to Aston then
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I meant SJT, and I'm glad they don't. Ahh I think I'll apply to Aston then
Aston would be a good choice for you, I think - usually has a high interview to offer ratio and you have excellent stats
CoochieMan
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Aston would be a good choice for you, I think - usually has a high interview to offer ratio and you have excellent stats
I can't thank you enough! You're really nice and offer amazing advice
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I can't thank you enough! You're really nice and offer amazing advice
You have to slay those interviews this year! You will make a fab Dr
CoochieMan
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You have to slay those interviews this year! You will make a fab Dr
I'll try my best Thank you!
Justamamma
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Welcome on board!
Yes, Birmingham use their own deciles, which are genrally higher than the official ones, as they have more high-scoring applicants, but I would suspeect they would be similar to last year. It can increase the risk if you sit right on the bottom of a decile, though
Thank you, good to be here!
So my next questions is, what constitutes bottom of a decile?! My daughter has a UCAT of 2810 and B’ham 9th decile last year was 2790 - 2900. I’m worried it could go either way and if she ends up in the 8th then it’ll have been a wasted choice.
She would like to pick one of B’ham or Notts, where she’s scoring 132, and it’s not proving easy! She has band 1 situational judgement …
Again, your words of wisdom are v much appreciated.
Last edited by Justamamma; 3 weeks ago
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Justamamma)
Thank you, good to be here!
So my next questions is, what constitutes bottom of a decile?! My daughter has a UCAT of 2810 and B’ham 9th decile last year was 2790 - 2900. I’m worried it could go either way and if she ends up in the 8th then it’ll have been a wasted choice.
She would like to pick one of B’ham or Notts, where she’s scoring 132, and it’s not proving easy! She has band 1 situational judgement …
Again, your words of wisdom are v much appreciated.
It is hard to be sure, but there has not been a lot of movement on Birmingham deciles between years, generally, and 20 points would be quite a lot.
I would also have hoped 132 will be safe for Nottingham, so she should choose the one she likes best, where there is no clear pointer one way or the other.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (46)
13.37%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (93)
27.03%
I'm a bit unsure (60)
17.44%
I'm finding things difficult (115)
33.43%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (30)
8.72%

Watched Threads