The Student Room Group

GCSE result and Russell group

Hi, is it possible to het into a Russell group university with just 1A* in GCSE from a Grammar School? Hoping to get A/A* in A levels. Thanks
Original post by Momabear786
Hi, is it possible to het into a Russell group university with just 1A* in GCSE from a Grammar School? Hoping to get A/A* in A levels. Thanks

yeah its more than possible theres a youtuber who went to cambridge with bad gcses he got 1 b 2cs and 4 ds thats so bad yet he managed to get A*AA for his a levels good luck what do u wanna study in uni ? and what subjects u taking ? just make sure u work extra hardx than your class mates since u need those As and in year 12 make sure u take it serious x

Most Russell Group universities require 5 GCSEs grade C or above including English and Mathematics at grade C or above. Sometimes a higher grade in subjects may be needed depending on the course you intend studying but most accept students with a mix of grade Bs and grade Cs. It is very rare for a university to ask for so many grade A*. Other than the English and Maths GCSE requirement univerrsities are more concerned with A level grades and subjects taken.
What do you want to study at University?
There’s no difference in how RG or non-RG consider GCSE’s. Competitive courses at both might consider your overall profile, but not having multiple A*’s isn’t going to hinder you.

What course are you looking at?
Reply 5
Original post by hijarbie2019
yeah its more than possible theres a youtuber who went to cambridge with bad gcses he got 1 b 2cs and 4 ds thats so bad yet he managed to get A*AA for his a levels good luck what do u wanna study in uni ? and what subjects u taking ? just make sure u work extra hardx than your class mates since u need those As and in year 12 make sure u take it serious x

Thank you for your reply. I am taking Maths and Economics in A levels and will most probably be pursuing a degree in Economics.
Reply 6
Original post by McGinger
What do you want to study at University?

Economics
Reply 7
Original post by Admit-One
There’s no difference in how RG or non-RG consider GCSE’s. Competitive courses at both might consider your overall profile, but not having multiple A*’s isn’t going to hinder you.

What course are you looking at?

Economics
Economics

For Economics top universities will require grade A in Maths A level. Possibly grade B or in a couple of cases grade A in Maths.GCSE,
Economics

So as above, firstly a lot of decently ranked uni’s will need Maths at AL to consider you.

Beyond that, Econ can often be a competitive courses, so it’s likely most half decent places will score your GCSE profile. How that’s done will vary depending on the Uni. They might only look at your top X grades, or score A’s and A*’s the same.

My advice above still stands, only having one A* isn’t going to hinder you. Just apply to places in and around with your predictions.

What were your actual GCSE grades? And did you get numbers really? If so, it's far more useful to share your actual grades than your conversion of them.

On the face of it, having one 8/9 grade won't be a problem for most universities (and the Russel group as a whole really isn't that special), but if the rest of your grades are 5s, for example, that might be an issue at some, more competitive universities.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
What were your actual GCSE grades? And did you get numbers really? If so, it's far more useful to share your actual grades than your conversion of them.

On the face of it, having one 8/9 grade won't be a problem for most universities (and the Russel group as a whole really isn't that special), but if the rest of your grades are 5s, for example, that might be an issue at some, more competitive universities.

8 in Maths and 8 7s and 6 in Spanish. I was expecting a few more 8s. Hence, the disappointment.

I am honestly looking for advice on how to make my application stand out. What can I do in addition to trying for the excellent grades in Alevels.
8 in Maths and 8 7s and 6 in Spanish. I was expecting a few more 8s. Hence, the disappointment.

I am honestly looking for advice on how to make my application stand out. What can I do in addition to trying for the excellent grades in Alevels.

Your grades are more than fine and will meet the minimum requirements for the vast majority of courses.

For the average course at the average RG uni, with strong A-levels you will be fine.

What course are you thinking of applying for?
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Your grades are more than fine and will meet the minimum requirements for the vast majority of courses.

For the average course at the average RG uni, with strong A-levels you will be fine.

What course are you thinking of applying for?

Thank you for your reply. At this point I am thinking of Economics but might do anything with Maths/accounting etc
Thank you for your reply. At this point I am thinking of Economics but might do anything with Maths/accounting etc

For all of these, it will be most important to get a strong maths A-level grade, so I would focus on that going forwards.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending