The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

What glen eyre accomodation is this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWbgc_z9Eeo

Which halls in Glen is the standard en suite shown in this video in? It doesn't say.
bump
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Original post by sadbabypanda

Which halls in Glen is the standard en suite shown in this video in?

Hi

It looks like it is potentially Chancellors Court, however, it is really hard to tell!

Lauren
(Student Ambassador)
Original post by sadbabypanda

Which halls in Glen is the standard en suite shown in this video in? It doesn't say.

Hi,

I think Lauren is right in saying this is Chancellors Court, I stayed there in my first year in the standard en-suite room. I really enjoyed my time there and I would be happy to answer any questions you may have about Chancellors Court or Glen Eyre as a whole.

Jasmine (An Official University of Southampton Rep)
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Uni of Southampton Students
Hi,

I think Lauren is right in saying this is Chancellors Court, I stayed there in my first year in the standard en-suite room. I really enjoyed my time there and I would be happy to answer any questions you may have about Chancellors Court or Glen Eyre as a whole.

Jasmine (An Official University of Southampton Rep)

Hi Jasmine,

Please can you tell me the best location for medics to live?
Also, I am a really social person but like my sleep and know that studying medicine will mean I need my sleep! Should I request a quiet room? Do you know anyone who has lived in a quiet flat or floor and if so, was it a positive experience?

Thanks!
Original post by Santorini1991
Hi Jasmine,

Please can you tell me the best location for medics to live?
Also, I am a really social person but like my sleep and know that studying medicine will mean I need my sleep! Should I request a quiet room? Do you know anyone who has lived in a quiet flat or floor and if so, was it a positive experience?

Thanks!

Hi @Santorini1991,

I do not think there is necessarily a better accommodation for medics to live, it all comes down to personal preference and the type of halls experience you want. I lived with some student medics and nurses in Chancellor's Court, Glen Eyre, and it seemed to suit them really well. Of course, if you are after a quieter halls, it may be looking into some of the smaller options such as Highfield Hall (located just by Avenue Campus and a short walk away from Highfield Campus). A quieter flat will just mean the people you live with will have also requested to live with quieter people, so less parties, less playing loud music etc. This can be handy if you struggle studying around some noise. There is also the option of a studio flat, where you would live in a small flat on your own (no sharing a kitchen, toilet etc), which would also mean limited noise distractions.

Some people do really enjoy their experiences in quieter flats or studios, however some also get along really well in standard flats (as I mentioned I lived with medics and nurses and they got on really well in the standard flat environment). Just think about where you would be most comfortable living and studying for the next year. If you enjoy where you live, it will make the university experience a lot better!

Which accommodation are you looking to apply for?

Jasmine (an Official University of Southampton Rep):smile:
Original post by Uni of Southampton Students
Hi @Santorini1991,

I do not think there is necessarily a better accommodation for medics to live, it all comes down to personal preference and the type of halls experience you want. I lived with some student medics and nurses in Chancellor's Court, Glen Eyre, and it seemed to suit them really well. Of course, if you are after a quieter halls, it may be looking into some of the smaller options such as Highfield Hall (located just by Avenue Campus and a short walk away from Highfield Campus). A quieter flat will just mean the people you live with will have also requested to live with quieter people, so less parties, less playing loud music etc. This can be handy if you struggle studying around some noise. There is also the option of a studio flat, where you would live in a small flat on your own (no sharing a kitchen, toilet etc), which would also mean limited noise distractions.

Some people do really enjoy their experiences in quieter flats or studios, however some also get along really well in standard flats (as I mentioned I lived with medics and nurses and they got on really well in the standard flat environment). Just think about where you would be most comfortable living and studying for the next year. If you enjoy where you live, it will make the university experience a lot better!

Which accommodation are you looking to apply for?

Thank you for your help. I think the issue is just total unpredictability. My brother was in a quiet flat at his uni and the first year it was all students who didn’t mix at all, many international. He struggled with that for the first term. The next year, in the same flats, he was fine because other students there were more social. Other students I know have had a nightmare with noisy, inconsiderate neighbours in their flats and I don’t think I could handle that late at night when med school is so full on and I need sleep. If I actually get an offer, I was considering Connaught for the part-catered and not having to fit cooking and shopping into my schedule in yr1. Plus the rooms were quite big and the facilities seem really good on that site. However, I am tempted by Glen Eyre due to its proximity to campus and the U6H bus stop being nearby! Seems to be about half hour to the hospital for, there but not sure how long it takes from Wessex Lane. By the way, my insurance is also Southampton, though not sure I will take it or have a gap year if I get no med offers.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Santorini1991
Thank you for your help. I think the issue is just total unpredictability. My brother was in a quiet flat at his uni and the first year it was all students who didn’t mix at all, many international. He struggled with that for the first term. The next year, in the same flats, he was fine because other students there were more social. Other students I know have had a nightmare with noisy, inconsiderate neighbours in their flats and I don’t think I could handle that late at night when med school is so full on and I need sleep. If I actually get an offer, I was considering Connaught for the part-catered and not having to fit cooking and shopping into my schedule in yr1. Plus the rooms were quite big and the facilities seem really good on that site. However, I am tempted by Glen Eyre due to its proximity to campus and the U6H bus stop being nearby! Seems to be about half hour to the hospital for, there but not sure how long it takes from Wessex Lane. By the way, my insurance is also Southampton, though not sure I will take it or have a gap year if I get no med offers.

I completely understand the risk of living with people you do not know in your first year, but it is important to remember that the accommodation team are there to help you with any struggles that you have in your flat. Lots of people have such a positive experience in student halls and end up making friends for life, so don't be fully put off by the unpredictability. Treat it as an opportunity to meet new people and, if you end up struggling at all, just know that there are options that you can take to remedy this with the help of the accommodation team.

Part-catered options are a great way of taking some of the load off of your to-do list, especially in first year! Wessex Lane, I believe, is about a 32 minute bus ride away from Southampton General Hospital. The bus links in Southampton are fantastic, so wherever you choose to live (if you decide Southampton is the university for you), rest assured that you will find travelling around the city really easy. This is made even easier by the bus pass that is given to first years that are staying in university owned accommodation (it is important to check this is still in place the year you decide to attend, as things are subject to change).

Hope this helps, best of luck with everything!

Again, any more questions please ask away.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending