The Student Room Group

How does application work in 2021

Hello, I’m thinking about applying to a Computer Science course in Oxbridge but I am not quite sure how the application process works in the UK since I am used to a different application process in my previous country. I take 4 subjects - Computing, Physics, Maths and Further Maths but I am not so sure how my application process is altered because of Further Maths.

From what I understand, for 2022 Undergraduate Entry you need to apply with your predicted grades.(?)
I’ve been told that for Oxbridge particularly there isn’t any great benefit for applying with 4 subjects and I think they typically choose your 3 highest subjects anyway, however if I choose to apply with 4 subjects and get an offer with 3 subjects, what happens to my fourth subject? Can I drop it, or do I still have to complete the A Level for it? Do university offers specifically mention what subjects are required in the offer?

Another question is, if I get a predicted offer of A*A*A*A* for my subjects, would it make sense to drop Further Maths and take my other 3 subjects instead since it wouldn't matter?

Thanks.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Normally Cambridge would give an offer for 3 subjects you take in the final year, while Oxford does consider grades you already have as part of the conditions. Let's suppose they both have entry requirement A*A*A. If you already have Mathematics A*, Cambridge would ask for A*A*A in FM, Physics, CS while Oxford would possibly ask for A*A*A with A* in Mathematics/cs , and A*A from other 3 subjects in any order.
For Cambridge, it is not possible to drop any course, otherwise you won't meet conditions. For Oxford, though you could still meet the conditions without one course, you must ask for permission from your college whether they allow you to drop the course, though you could just attend the exam for the subject without preparation (if you don't need the fourth A*) if you are confident with your other 3 subjects.
Cambridge could also ask for STEP grades as part of condition.
Reply 2
I supposed you already have A* in Mathematics for the answer above. If you are taking Mathematics and FM in the final year, both universities would ask for 3 Alevels with some restrictions, but you could simply forget about the 4th subject by attending the exam without preparation if you are confident about the other 3 subjects. Note that it is uncommon for both universities to allow student to drop a course ( not attending the exam).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending