The Student Room Group

a-level psych

what is it like? im deciding between a-level maths & psych, mainly because im worried maths is going to be too difficult for me

however im not a fan of essay writing...
What do you want to do post A Level?
How did you do at Maths GCSE (and psychology if you took it - most haven't so don't worry about it)
Reply 2
Original post by AmIReallyHere
What do you want to do post A Level?
How did you do at Maths GCSE (and psychology if you took it - most haven't so don't worry about it)

probably med, and I got an 8 in gcse maths (which took A LOT of work im not naturally gifted lol)
Original post by lean1bean
probably med, and I got an 8 in gcse maths (which took A LOT of work im not naturally gifted lol)

I applaud you for putting in the work then - keep that ethic up for A-Levels and uni and I'm sure you will do just as well!

If medicine I would say go for maths but this depends on the other A-Level choices, for example if you did Chem, Art and Psychology (which is a humanities at A-Level so as you said, lots of essays), it wouldn't be as strong as Maths, Chemistry and Art - although the other factors of your application do still matter akdaja and just make sure that the unis you are looking into don't have things that say "people who take 2 of: XXX, XXX, XXX, etc won't be considered" and stuff like that
what is it like? im deciding between a-level maths & psych, mainly because im worried maths is going to be too difficult for me

however im not a fan of essay writing...

I also want to do med (current year 12) I do psych chem & bio and luckily for me psych is a back burner subject if that makes sense - I have to put 100% into bio + chem as they’re quite difficult and time consuming but can put maybe 60/70% in psych and get the same (a lot of people feel the same) BUT, I did psych at GCSE so that helps & it’s not necessarily an easy subject.

Do things you can guarantee 3 A’s hence why I chose psych over maths, because at GCSE I works way too hard in maths and I fought for my A lmao so yeah best of luck !!

Also it’s not that much essay writing like the highest is a 16 marker so I mean it’s manageable
Reply 5
Original post by kylalee.x
I also want to do med (current year 12) I do psych chem & bio and luckily for me psych is a back burner subject if that makes sense - I have to put 100% into bio + chem as they’re quite difficult and time consuming but can put maybe 60/70% in psych and get the same (a lot of people feel the same) BUT, I did psych at GCSE so that helps & it’s not necessarily an easy subject.

Do things you can guarantee 3 A’s hence why I chose psych over maths, because at GCSE I works way too hard in maths and I fought for my A lmao so yeah best of luck !!

Also it’s not that much essay writing like the highest is a 16 marker so I mean it’s manageable

oh i thought it was loads of essay writing? what do the exams mainly consist of?
oh i thought it was loads of essay writing? what do the exams mainly consist of?

Hey! I finished my A levels this year and took Psych, chem and bio (not going into med though like most other people I know who took both bio&chem🤷).

If you want to see what exams consist of then look at past exam papers for the specific exam board you would be taking. For AQA long essays are 16 marks and there is also usually a plan a study question in the research methods section which is worth 12 marks. I can't recall off the top of my head how many 16 markers there are in a paper but you can check past papers as I said before.

As said above, look at what unis require for the course you want to pursue(look at multiple, not just the ones you want to apply to right now cos you may change your mind)...you don't want to take psych if they specifically want maths!

Good luck with whatever you choose and if you have any more questions about psych I'll do my best to answer them! :smile:
Psychology was pretty easy in my opinion, definitely nowhere near maths for difficulty, and also very interesting. If you're with AQA, the longest essay will be 16 marks and they're very formulaic so for me it didn't feel anything like an English essay would.

What would you want to know about it?

Also, forgot to add that if you are taking biology (idk if you are🤷) you will have to essay write anyway as it is a major part of paper 3. The structure is also very different for a bio essay than a psych essay (at least how we were taught) so...
I studied both at a level! As someone who had never studied psychology before I found it to be very content heavy compared to other courses especially maths which mostly involved building on skills I already knew and learning and repeating new methods. It's worth thinking about how it would fit in with your other subjects and maybe check uni entry requirements for course your interested in as some of those express preferences for certain subjects
Original post by gryffindor_02
Hey! I finished my A levels this year and took Psych, chem and bio (not going into med though like most other people I know who took both bio&chem🤷).

If you want to see what exams consist of then look at past exam papers for the specific exam board you would be taking. For AQA long essays are 16 marks and there is also usually a plan a study question in the research methods section which is worth 12 marks. I can't recall off the top of my head how many 16 markers there are in a paper but you can check past papers as I said before.

As said above, look at what unis require for the course you want to pursue(look at multiple, not just the ones you want to apply to right now cos you may change your mind)...you don't want to take psych if they specifically want maths!

Good luck with whatever you choose and if you have any more questions about psych I'll do my best to answer them! :smile:

(long story short, how did you revise for psychology?)

i’m going into year 13 and have got the exact same subjects. How did you revise for psychology? I’ve found my method for bio and chem but i’m struggling with psychology, i find it so boring to revise (but i enjoy learning in the classroom). I haven’t revised a non-science subject for agesss

forgot to add anyone can answer this, the more help the better!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by sumayaaa

i’m going into year 13 and have got the exact same subjects. How did you revise for psychology? I’ve found my method for bio and chem but i’m struggling with psychology, i find it so boring to revise (but i enjoy learning in the classroom). I haven’t revised a non-science subject for agesss

Personally, I rarely revised psych as I found it easy and would get B's without really trying (obvs don't encourage this) and came out with an A overall 🤷

The times I got A*'s & A's I'd revise by making flashcards for ALL the keywords listed on the exam board website and in my textbook (wouldn't look at them again cos making them was enough for me to remember most of them).

For long answer questions I wouldn't necessarily suggest writing out full essays all the time but write plans for as many possibilities as you can. You don't need to memorise every single piece of evidence you can find either...make sure you focus on learning the key ones that can be applied to all possible questions in each topic and then a couple of others. Evidence doesn't have to be all named case studies but we got told that examiners like you to name drop at least one thats supporting and one thats contradictory.

Sorry I don't really have any proper tips but my one big piece of advice is to learn a mnemonic for all the statistical tests! There are ones online but I ended up having to make my own cos I couldn't remember those...make it the first thing you write out in that exam and then you can refer back when you need it!
Original post by sumayaaa

Oooh...and have YouTube videos on in the background whilst you do other things (non school related like cooking, etc.). I often found it easier to passively revise psych whereas I had to actively revise for chem and bio 🤷😅

I used Psychboost mainly!
Personally, I rarely revised psych as I found it easy and would get B's without really trying (obvs don't encourage this) and came out with an A overall 🤷

The times I got A*'s & A's I'd revise by making flashcards for ALL the keywords listed on the exam board website and in my textbook (wouldn't look at them again cos making them was enough for me to remember most of them).

For long answer questions I wouldn't necessarily suggest writing out full essays all the time but write plans for as many possibilities as you can. You don't need to memorise every single piece of evidence you can find either...make sure you focus on learning the key ones that can be applied to all possible questions in each topic and then a couple of others. Evidence doesn't have to be all named case studies but we got told that examiners like you to name drop at least one thats supporting and one thats contradictory.

Sorry I don't really have any proper tips but my one big piece of advice is to learn a mnemonic for all the statistical tests! There are ones online but I ended up having to make my own cos I couldn't remember those...make it the first thing you write out in that exam and then you can refer back when you need it!

no no this advice is super helpful!! I’ll try use these methods and see how it works for me, thanks!!
Oooh...and have YouTube videos on in the background whilst you do other things (non school related like cooking, etc.). I often found it easier to passively revise psych whereas I had to actively revise for chem and bio 🤷😅

I used Psychboost mainly!

i don’t think this would work for me because i’d just watch the video but i mean i can’t revise psychology in silence either😭😭

Quick Reply

Latest