Leaf.
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
How come the point system differs for those with degrees? Where all applying to the same A100 course but how do they then distinguishing between those with degrees and those that don’t. Max points with a degree is 32
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Leaf.)
How come the point system differs for those with degrees? Where all applying to the same A100 course but how do they then distinguishing between those with degrees and those that don’t. Max points with a degree is 32
Max points with GCSEs is 32, too. And then they add UCAT points on for both
Leaf.
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
Max points with GCSEs is 32, too. And then they add UCAT points on for both
Thanks mate. Really appreciate your help. Haven’t had a chance to actually do full in-depth research myself because of 9-6 job, and family commitments.

Just applying strategically is a complete mission with all the research needed lol - so I’m grateful for your help
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Leaf.)
Thanks mate. Really appreciate your help. Haven’t had a chance to actually do full in-depth research myself because of 9-6 job, and family commitments.

Just applying strategically is a complete mission with all the research needed lol - so I’m grateful for your help
Happy to help - even with the job, family and now covid booster jabs to sort :lol: :lol:
LilGoat7
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi guys, here is my info:
GCSEs and grade breakdown : 99999888A*7A (9s in bio chem maths business and french, 8s in English lit, geography physics, 7 in English language, A* in further maths and A in statistics)
A level achieved: AAA (bio chem maths)
UCAT: 690 avg (2760)
SJT band : 3
Brief mention of work experience : Brighton and Sussex, observe gp, ongoing clinical experience as hca
I meet WP criteria: low household income, bursary student etc.

Is Leicester a reasonable choice, or will my band 3 put me at a disadvantage?
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by LilGoat7)
Hi guys, here is my info:
GCSEs and grade breakdown : 99999888A*7A (9s in bio chem maths business and french, 8s in English lit, geography physics, 7 in English language, A* in further maths and A in statistics)
A level achieved: AAA (bio chem maths)
UCAT: 690 avg (2760)
SJT band : 3
Brief mention of work experience : Brighton and Sussex, observe gp, ongoing clinical experience as hca
I meet WP criteria: low household income, bursary student etc.

Is Leicester a reasonable choice, or will my band 3 put me at a disadvantage?
They only look at SJT in a tiebreaker situation
yara56394484
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I got 11A*s at GCSE and 2820 band 2. Predicted A*A*A*, do I have a good chance of getting an interview?
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by yara56394484)
I got 11A*s at GCSE and 2820 band 2. Predicted A*A*A*, do I have a good chance of getting an interview?
You score 60. Cut off was 57 last year
Subi2254
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey, I'm an international student and my score adds up to 57.5, the cutoff last year was 57, would it be risky for me to apply here?
0mitochondria
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I have achieved grades of 4 A*’s and a UCAT of 2870 but Band 3. As Leicester are saying they are guaranteeing interviews for achieved grades students in the top 5 deciles could Leicester end up being a risky option if all students with achieved grades apply there?

If they had too many achieved grades applicants would they then rank based on UCAT or grades or situational judgement? As the SJ could be an issue for me? Any advice would be welcome!
Clintt15
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by 0mitochondria)
I have achieved grades of 4 A*’s and a UCAT of 2870 but Band 3. As Leicester are saying they are guaranteeing interviews for achieved grades students in the top 5 deciles could Leicester end up being a risky option if all students with achieved grades apply there?

If they had too many achieved grades applicants would they then rank based on UCAT or grades or situational judgement? As the SJ could be an issue for me? Any advice would be welcome!
If I'm not mistaken I believe Leicester is grouping applicants eg. predicted a levels, achieved etc. I'm sure GANFYD will know more on this than myself
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Clintt15)
If I'm not mistaken I believe Leicester is grouping applicants eg. predicted a levels, achieved etc. I'm sure GANFYD will know more on this than myself
I only know what it says in the selection document
KK_2589
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Just did my UCAT today. Internal deadline is over and I have paid and sent my applications already for medicine to
Leicester Medical School
University of Nottingham
Aston University
Cardiff University

I live in Leicester and really wanted to do medicine there. What are the chances of being accepted? And even for the other universities?

UCAT Score: 2340 which I believe places me in the bottom 2 deciles as 2nd decile is 2350 I think therefore giving me only 16 points for Leicester.
For GCSEs I get 31/32 points.
I would say my personal statement is pretty good
Predicted AAA for Biology, Chemistry, Maths.
References are strong except for maths which is okay.

Also what are the chances of me getting an interview from the other universities?
WTSBLG
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by KK_2589)
Just did my UCAT today. Internal deadline is over and I have paid and sent my applications already for medicine to
Leicester Medical School
University of Nottingham
Aston University
Cardiff University

I live in Leicester and really wanted to do medicine there. What are the chances of being accepted? And even for the other universities?

UCAT Score: 2340 which I believe places me in the bottom 2 deciles as 2nd decile is 2350 I think therefore giving me only 16 points for Leicester.
For GCSEs I get 31/32 points.
I would say my personal statement is pretty good
Predicted AAA for Biology, Chemistry, Maths.
References are strong except for maths which is okay.

Also what are the chances of me getting an interview from the other universities?
Leicester's cut off last year was 57 and I think it's likely to go up a little. Aston should be okay, they have a released document on the last couple of year's stats. I can't work out your score for Cardiff, but your PS should be tailored to them. Nottingham scores GCSEs and UCAT, they have a new scoring system this year but work out your points first, we don't know what the cut off score is at the moment though. If you are contextual that might change some cut offs/requirements though.
KK_2589
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
what do you mean tailored for Cardiff? Ive written a general PS for all applications.
yara56394484
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by KK_2589)
what do you mean tailored for Cardiff? Ive written a general PS for all applications.
They have a specific criteria, it would pretty much apply to all unis but just make sure you tick all the boxes
Leaf.
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I’ve tried twice now to calculate my score and twice ended up with a different answer lol.

Can anyone please help me calculate my score. I want to compare it to what I got. First time I scored myself higher and second lower so not sure which score to go with lol

GCSE’s (06/2011):
Biology – A
Chemistry – A*
English – A
Mathematics – A
3 more GCSE at A and 2 at B (Geography, Physics)
GCSE short-course ICT A* (not sure what short course is)

A-levels (06/2013):
Biology – C
Chemistry - A
Economics – A*
EPQ – E

(06/2014) In 2014 I took a gap year, did some work experience, and took a resit in my biology as-well as well as take on AS level (not full a-level) business studies, achieving an A in both (06/2014)

Following this, I went to university:
Date of registration; 22/Sep/2014
End of registration; 23/Sep/2019
Qualification Awarded; MPHARM Pharmacy Second Class Honours (Upper Division)
Date of Award; 01/Oct/2019

After degree, I started pre-registration trainee Pharmacist, 30th Sept 2019 – 27th Sept 2020. Following this there was the wait for the GPHC exam due to covid, and I finally became a registered Pharmacist on 15/05/2021.

UCAT:
Total score 2580 (645) Band 2
(verbal reasoning score was 550).

Work experience: not yet, but planning to get some next few weeks.

No WP or contextual flags
WTSBLG
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Leaf.)
I’ve tried twice now to calculate my score and twice ended up with a different answer lol.

Can anyone please help me calculate my score. I want to compare it to what I got. First time I scored myself higher and second lower so not sure which score to go with lol

GCSE’s (06/2011):
Biology – A
Chemistry – A*
English – A
Mathematics – A
3 more GCSE at A and 2 at B (Geography, Physics)
GCSE short-course ICT A* (not sure what short course is)

A-levels (06/2013):
Biology – C
Chemistry - A
Economics – A*
EPQ – E

(06/2014) In 2014 I took a gap year, did some work experience, and took a resit in my biology as-well as well as take on AS level (not full a-level) business studies, achieving an A in both (06/2014)

Following this, I went to university:
Date of registration; 22/Sep/2014
End of registration; 23/Sep/2019
Qualification Awarded; MPHARM Pharmacy Second Class Honours (Upper Division)
Date of Award; 01/Oct/2019

After degree, I started pre-registration trainee Pharmacist, 30th Sept 2019 – 27th Sept 2020. Following this there was the wait for the GPHC exam due to covid, and I finally became a registered Pharmacist on 15/05/2021.

UCAT:
Total score 2580 (645) Band 2
(verbal reasoning score was 550).

Work experience: not yet, but planning to get some next few weeks.

No WP or contextual flags
I think 57.5? What did you get when you scored yourself?
Leaf.
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by WTSBLG)
I think 57.5? What did you get when you scored yourself?
Wth how did you get that score lol.

I just did it for the fourth time now and this is stress that I can't work it out.

UCAT SCORE (2580): 25.5

A-levels I think is where the confusion occurs. A-levels achieved on first sitting (over 2 years) A* Economics, A Chemistry, C in Biology = 26? I then re-sat biology in a gap year (over 3 years) and if we use the adjusted score then it gives 20? Which score would the medical school use????
Degree: 2:1 = 3
Total academic score = 3+26 = 29 OR 3 + 20 = 23

GCSE Scoring: 3+4+3+3+3+3+3+1 = 23 (this includes English and English literature not sure if that a problem) (didn’t include A* short course ICT)

any ideas pleaseeee??
Last edited by Leaf.; 2 weeks ago
WTSBLG
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Leaf.)
Wth how did you get that score lol.

I just did it for the fourth time now and this is stress that I can't work it out.

UCAT SCORE (2580): 25.5

A-levels I think is where the confusion occurs. A-levels achieved on first sitting (over 2 years) A* Economics, A Chemistry, C in Biology = 26? I then re-sat biology in a gap year (over 3 years) and if we use the adjusted score then it gives 20? Which score would the medical school use????
Degree: 2:1 = 3
Total academic score = 3+26 = 29 OR 3 + 20 = 23

GCSE Scoring: 3+4+3+3+3+3+3+1 = 23 (this includes English and English literature not sure if that a problem) (didn’t include A* short course ICT)

any ideas pleaseeee??
Ahh okay let's do this together! So UCAT score definitely 25.5.

The document says 'proved the minimum GCSE requirements have been met, your academic ability will be scored on the basis of your A-levels and degree'
So we don't include GCSEs in this.
So A* Economics = 10 (2 years), A Chemistry = 10 (2 years) then I assume adjusted 8 points for A Biology (3 years). Total: 28
Then add your degree 2:1 obtained of 3 points.
25.5 + 28 + 3 = 56.5?

Please check that again hahah but I think that's right now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (48)
13.41%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (93)
25.98%
I'm a bit unsure (63)
17.6%
I'm finding things difficult (124)
34.64%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (30)
8.38%

Watched Threads