blueve03
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Could reapplying to Leicester be a little risky as I have previously done an interview with them? Their admissions document says:

"They will need to demonstrate a significant improvement in any potential interview
score to be considered for an offer, as the previous year’s score will also be taken into account. We do this
to balance out any advantage due to being familiar with our interview process and stations."

I just don't know how much they mean by 'significant'. I received an interview score of 83 (when the cutoff was 85) so would I need a huge jump to 90+ to receive an offer? I'm not sure if I should bother with Leicester anymore.

Thank you for any input given!!
Last edited by blueve03; 2 weeks ago
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by chris01928)
God that is a worry. Do you have any idea of how they are going to then score within those ranking because surely A-Levels should be taken into account when scoring achieved applicants? Good spot with the clause
They then say they will look at the whole application to decide who to shortlist.
I don't like the use of the word "guarantee" if you then put a caveat in, but if they do interview all achieved grades that apply, are they going to reduce numbers for other applicants? Are they going to have a ring fenced number of places post interview? People have called them about this and they just seem to say they are not expecting many achieved grade applicants, but they must be living in a different world to me!
chris01928
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
They then say they will look at the whole application to decide who to shortlist.
I don't like the use of the word "guarantee" if you then put a caveat in, but if they do interview all achieved grades that apply, are they going to reduce numbers for other applicants? Are they going to have a ring fenced number of places post interview? People have called them about this and they just seem to say they are not expecting many achieved grade applicants, but they must be living in a different world to me!
It seems like they have forgotten that there have been grade inflations and that there are far more applicants than places each year. It's like they were trying to make the entire process easier for themselves without thinking about that huge incentive to apply to Leicester. I'm really not sure where to apply to now because as you say predicted or achieved students will suffer. Real shame
applecyder
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It seems like they have forgotten that there have been grade inflations and that there are far more applicants than places each year. It's like they were trying to make the entire process easier for themselves without thinking about that huge incentive to apply to Leicester. I'm really not sure where to apply to now because as you say predicted or achieved students will suffer. Real shame
Oh noooo... Does that mean even if you have a high score out of 64 (I thought I had a relatively 'safe' score of 62.5) - you're not safe with Leicester? I do wish they'd specify how they gave out interviews
chris01928
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by applecyder)
Oh noooo... Does that mean even if you have a high score out of 64 (I thought I had a relatively 'safe' score of 62.5) - you're not safe with Leicester? I do wish they'd specify how they gave out interviews
I'm not really sure but I imagine there is going to be a fair increase in applications this year which might make it harder to get in. I'm not sure about statistics someone else might know if your score is safe enough.
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It is just that they will not be clear how they are going to deal with what is likely to be a massive influx of "guaranteed" interviews. They should look at the hassle Exeter had last year, with those with predicted grades needing A*A*A* and 3040 UCAT for an interview, and then, completely foreseeably, too many people already with the grades for the places they had.

I am sure it is well intentioned, but it is shortsighted and not thought through and they are not putting in plans for what is clearly about to happen (or at least not telling applicants)
Last edited by GANFYD; 2 weeks ago
chris01928
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It is just that they will not be clear how they are going to deal with what is likely to be a massive influx of "guaranteed" interviews. They should look at the hassle Exeter had last year, with those predicted grades needign A*A*A* and 3040 UCAT for an interview, and then, completely foreseeable, too many people already with the grades for the places they had.

I am sure it is well intentioned, but it is shortsighted and not thought through and they are not putting in plans for what is clearly about to happen (or at least not telling applicants)
PRSOM
applecyder
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
PRSOM
What's a PRSOM?
KA_P
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by applecyder)
What's a PRSOM?
You can't rep someone a lot without repping other ppl between, so its basically the equivalent of them repping them. They want to rep them but the system doesn't allow them to. Just shows how great GANFYD is and that we're all really grateful that they're here helpful us ))
Clintt15
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Even if you have achieved a levels do people think Leicester is a safe choice for interview this year?
anon123456789!
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Does Leicester care at all about sjt? I have achieved grades and a ucat score above 5th decile, but band 3 would this put me at any advantage? Thanks
WTSBLG
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by anon123456789!)
Does Leicester care at all about sjt? I have achieved grades and a ucat score above 5th decile, but band 3 would this put me at any advantage? Thanks
I believe they would only use SJT in a tiebreak situation.
Student609
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I applied last year with achieved grades and got in. There are a lot of people in my cohort who did the same. So definitely worth a try.

(Original post by Clintt15)
Even if you have achieved a levels do people think Leicester is a safe choice for interview this year?
Sloth_Roman
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey, I have a score of 59.5/64.
I saw that the cut off was 57 last year - was this for a guaranteed interview or just for consideration for interview?
What are my chances?
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Sloth_Roman)
Hey, I have a score of 59.5/64.
I saw that the cut off was 57 last year - was this for a guaranteed interview or just for consideration for interview?
What are my chances?
https://le.ac.uk/medicine/study/applying/statistics
j.a.m.ucat
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It is just that they will not be clear how they are going to deal with what is likely to be a massive influx of "guaranteed" interviews. They should look at the hassle Exeter had last year, with those with predicted grades needing A*A*A* and 3040 UCAT for an interview, and then, completely foreseeably, too many people already with the grades for the places they had.

I have a question about this... if there is a strong motivation for someone with achieved A levels and upper 50% UCAT to choose to apply to Leicester for the guaranteed interview, why aren't all these people and others putting an even larger population pressure on other schools which interview the upper 50% of UCAT's with almost no other condition? It seems like a paradox. Is it because some schools are more desireable than others as places to study particular interests?
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by j.a.m.ucat)
I have a question about this... if there is a strong motivation for someone with achieved A levels and upper 50% UCAT to choose to apply to Leicester for the guaranteed interview, why aren't all these people and others putting an even larger population pressure on other schools which interview the upper 50% of UCAT's with almost no other condition? It seems like a paradox. Is it because some schools are more desireable than others as places to study particular interests?
Which other places are guaranteeing an interview to people with >2500 UCAT?
j.a.m.ucat
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Which other places are guaranteeing an interview to people with >2500 UCAT?
Um, plymouth? Or do I misunderstand a lot of things....
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by j.a.m.ucat)
Um, plymouth? Or do I misunderstand a lot of things....
Not this year, they don't! And last year, when they pre-published their cut off, they had to increase A levels requirements to A*AA to cut down numbers.
j.a.m.ucat
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Not this year, they don't! And last year, when they pre-published their cut off, they had to increase A levels requirements to A*AA to cut down numbers.
Nice answer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (48)
13.41%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (93)
25.98%
I'm a bit unsure (63)
17.6%
I'm finding things difficult (124)
34.64%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (30)
8.38%

Watched Threads