The Student Room Group

does anyone know what the combined pill does?

well, I’ve been told to go on them due to me being diagnosed with PCOs and so far, have only had three periods this year, which is a joke.. waiting for mine, after two months now, or even mor actually and I want to take the pill... but confused with it all. don’t know much about it, does anyone else use this pill for a medical issue and if so how much does it help? does it help your infertility too ? does it also help with acne as i suffer it really bad on my back and hair all over my body... which is fantastic, not... just feel really uncomfortable...hair is quite easy because you can shave , wax etc with it but still it’s just long😴😴

then when I do get them my pain is not good.. it it all in my legs, my stomach, pelvic area and other weird places down there... when I stand up I literally sometimes feel like someone’s stabbing my insides and it includes my vagina... it kills. bit tmi but still, I get pain outside my periods too, not as bad but still it’s annoying and i dont see why this happens..so i also am wondering if it perhaps reduces the pain?
(edited 2 years ago)
It could help with those things, because it's a dose of hormones (oestrogen and progesterone) so should help with the symptoms to do with hormone imbalances - so acne, excess hair growth, and irregular bleeding. It should make your periods more regular because you'll induce the withdrawl bleed by stopping taking the hormones for 7 days (the drop in progesterone causes the period). It should make your periods lighter so hopefully reduce pain and you can take it back-to-back to avoid periods too (you can discuss this with your GP)

It won't help with infertility, because it's a contraceptive, but there are other options like drugs that boost ovulation if you're planning a pregnancy now or in future. You can talk to your doctor about that as and when.

There's some good materials online like https://onlinedoctor.lloydspharmacy.com/uk/contraception/pcos-and-birth-control, https://www.healthline.com/health/birth-control/best-birth-control-for-pcos#skin-patch - and in general I'd always speak to your doctor prescribing the pill if you have concerns or questions :smile:
Original post by becausethenight
It could help with those things, because it's a dose of hormones (oestrogen and progesterone) so should help with the symptoms to do with hormone imbalances - so acne, excess hair growth, and irregular bleeding. It should make your periods more regular because you'll induce the withdrawl bleed by stopping taking the hormones for 7 days (the drop in progesterone causes the period). It should make your periods lighter so hopefully reduce pain and you can take it back-to-back to avoid periods too (you can discuss this with your GP)

It won't help with infertility, because it's a contraceptive, but there are other options like drugs that boost ovulation if you're planning a pregnancy now or in future. You can talk to your doctor about that as and when.

There's some good materials online like https://onlinedoctor.lloydspharmacy.com/uk/contraception/pcos-and-birth-control, https://www.healthline.com/health/birth-control/best-birth-control-for-pcos#skin-patch - and in general I'd always speak to your doctor prescribing the pill if you have concerns or questions :smile:

hi, so happy that you responded with so,e helpful advice... this helps a lot. glad that it helps with symptoms, i really am, thank god for that. i have learnt to get used to the pain but the physical appearance just makes me feel so insecure... does it stop spotting too? i spotted for like two weeks the other week and wasn’t pleased as i thought it was my period but there was no pain and it was really light that it was obvious it wasn’t a period and happens a lot.

ah, glad there’s help with ovulation etc in the future.. im 17 so not looking for a baby yet😁😁

thank you so much! take care x
Original post by gracieee16
hi, so happy that you responded with so,e helpful advice... this helps a lot. glad that it helps with symptoms, i really am, thank god for that. i have learnt to get used to the pain but the physical appearance just makes me feel so insecure... does it stop spotting too? i spotted for like two weeks the other week and wasn’t pleased as i thought it was my period but there was no pain and it was really light that it was obvious it wasn’t a period and happens a lot.

ah, glad there’s help with ovulation etc in the future.. im 17 so not looking for a baby yet😁😁

thank you so much! take care x

Glad I could help :smile: I think you have to try it and see - in theory it should help and it often does, but like any medication there are side effects and you need to see if it works for you.

In terms of spotting the jury's kind of out - some people get more spotting and some people get less. It can take a few months to settle into the new hormonal regime so you can get spotting in the first few months but not after, or some people get 'breakthrough bleeding' if they take it back to back for multiple cycles. I'd speak to your prescriber and make sure you have a good idea of what to expect and what would be concerning, and then stick with it for a few months before deciding if it works, unless you get seriously bad side effects.

Hahaha one would hope not :biggrin: In future you may need to speak to a doctor when you want to try for a baby, but equally PCOS doesn't always mean you can't concieve naturally, so also worth exploring contraceptive options if that's a concern (for example, you can have a hormonal implant if you find it hard to take pills)

:goodluck:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by becausethenight

agree, for many, this is still a relevant issue. Here are some fresh articles on this topic provided by Google, perhaps they will be helpful to someone, I'll leave them here: www.zavamed.com/uk/contraceptive-pill.html and www.zavamed.com/uk/types-of-contraceptives.html

Quick Reply

Latest