The Student Room Group

Experiences with Automotive and Mechanical engineering

I just got my GCSE results and am going into year 12 taking Physics, Maths and History for A-levels. I would like to go into a career of engineering and was wondering what the courses at University were like for both automotive and mechanical engineering as I here they both have similar aspects and which universities would you recommend for these?

Thanks in advance
Original post by JW05
I just got my GCSE results and am going into year 12 taking Physics, Maths and History for A-levels. I would like to go into a career of engineering and was wondering what the courses at University were like for both automotive and mechanical engineering as I here they both have similar aspects and which universities would you recommend for these?

Thanks in advance

Automotive engineering is really mechanical engineering with more focus.

To work in the technical side of the automotive industry you will be fine with either a mechanical or automotive degree. (Their is also some demand for electrical engineers, manufacturing engineers & product designers).

TBH you can move into the industry from a really wide net of universities depending what you want to do. Ive seen people in industry from a really vast amount of universities. Loughborough & Coventry perhaps stand out as sending quite a lot which is to be expected as they are in the West midlands (on the doorstep of JLR, Aston Martin, Lotus, London taxi company, lots of suppliers...).

The UK automotive industry is not host to giant OEM and as such Germany, USA, Japan (and perhaps now China) are where the big industry player live.
Reply 2
Original post by mnot
Automotive engineering is really mechanical engineering with more focus.

To work in the technical side of the automotive industry you will be fine with either a mechanical or automotive degree. (Their is also some demand for electrical engineers, manufacturing engineers & product designers).

TBH you can move into the industry from a really wide net of universities depending what you want to do. Ive seen people in industry from a really vast amount of universities. Loughborough & Coventry perhaps stand out as sending quite a lot which is to be expected as they are in the West midlands (on the doorstep of JLR, Aston Martin, Lotus, London taxi company, lots of suppliers...).

The UK automotive industry is not host to giant OEM and as such Germany, USA, Japan (and perhaps now China) are where the big industry player live.

Oh right, do you think maybe mechanical might be a better option as it still gives me open doors to other aspects of engineering?
Original post by JW05
Oh right, do you think maybe mechanical might be a better option as it still gives me open doors to other aspects of engineering?

Mechanical is certainly easier if you want to look at a variety of graduate industries. And with mechanical you can always do an automotive MSc after the BEng.

It really depends how set on automotive you are, and if you go to university which offers automotive engineering you'll probably find their mechanical courses have a good amount of cross-over.

Quick Reply

Latest