The Student Room Group

Does a cover letter make a difference?

Hi,

I'm still looking for my first role after graduating from University, but having a little trouble getting anything. I pretty much get declined at the CV point. My CV is good, just lacks experience in my field (Accounting), so just wondering if I accompany it with a cover letter, will that to improve my chances? Is it better to just keep sending my CV in hope that someone will take a chance?

Thanks!
Original post by nightwolf8
Hi,

I'm still looking for my first role after graduating from University, but having a little trouble getting anything. I pretty much get declined at the CV point. My CV is good, just lacks experience in my field (Accounting), so just wondering if I accompany it with a cover letter, will that to improve my chances? Is it better to just keep sending my CV in hope that someone will take a chance?

Thanks!

A covering letter looks more professional and you can highlight how your experience matches the job spec.
Hi,

Thanks!

Yes, a covering letter is a vital part of the application. The CV and covering letter should be considered inseparable parts of any job application. The CV gives evidence of relevant skills, the covering letter gives the persuasive force to the application.

The covering letter makes it clear why you want to do this sort of work, why you want to work for this organisation and highlights the top 3 reasons why you'd be good at the job. Applying without a covering letter is only making half an application - especially if your experience isn't the strongest.
Hi,

Thanks!

I personally and professionally think that a cover letter brings such value to an application than those who don't as it means you are serious to applying for the job and making a lot of effort to get it.

Saying from experience of working in recruitment and having my own business, I have seen a number of applications from candidates that don't even bother to do this and it puts me off because it makes me think if they can't be bothered to attach a cover letter then they won't bother do anything else when I decide to hire them.
Hi,

Thanks!

To add to the rest of the good comments, it's important to make the cover letter as professional, and as perfect as possible. Particularly with a profession like accountancy Good quality paper - white or cream wove or laid 100gsm - no funny colours, with good quality printing in a sensible, professional font. Envelope without points or tissue, and an A4 one will mean you don't have to fold the letter. It's traditional to 'top and tail' the letter by hand - that is you leave a space where you would type the saluation 'Dear Mr Soandso', and another space where the closing formula goes. You then insert these by hand after the letter is printed in black (preferably) or blue ink with a good pen.

Check, check and check again for spelling, punctuation, grammar and simple mistakes. It must be error free. :smile:
Original post by MonsoonFlower
I personally and professionally think that a cover letter brings such value to an application than those who don't as it means you are serious to applying for the job and making a lot of effort to get it.

Saying from experience of working in recruitment and having my own business, I have seen a number of applications from candidates that don't even bother to do this and it puts me off because it makes me think if they can't be bothered to attach a cover letter then they won't bother do anything else when I decide to hire them.

It’s understandable you would assume as such

but in many cases, you would be very wrong. People dont want to bother with tedious cover letters when hirers do not even acknowledge their application in many instances
Original post by Anonymous1152
It’s understandable you would assume as such

but in many cases, you would be very wrong. People dont want to bother with tedious cover letters when hirers do not even acknowledge their application in many instances

Do you know how many people apply for jobs though?

Imagine replying to 200+ applications...hirers are busy doing their day job and some of them don't even work in recruitment.

Imagine replying to 200+ applications...hirers are busy doing their day job and some of them don't even work in recruitment.

Exactly. Like those people who think a three-page CV is fine: they seem to forget that hirers simply have neither the time, nor the inclination, to wade through 300 3-page CVs searching for the nuggets of information which make them think 'we'll take him or her through to the next stage'.

And do you know how many applications people are doing day in, day out, and how stupidly lengthy they are?
(edited 2 years ago)
How do you apply to jobs when you have no experience?
Original post by Reality Check
Exactly. Like those people who think a three-page CV is fine: they seem to forget that hirers simply have neither the time, nor the inclination, to wade through 300 3-page CVs searching for the nuggets of information which make them think 'we'll take him or her through to the next stage'.

@Anonymous1152.
The sense of entitlement (in your comments) doesn't necessarily mean candidates should enter the next stage of the process and or get the job.
Employers (well Hiring Managers) have a lot to do in their day jobs and it's mainly endless meetings that we have to put up with.
it's a supplement. many don't bother reading it. cv is core. if cv no good then they won't read cover.
Original post by rosy_posy
How do you apply to jobs when you have no experience?

join university projects, virtual internships and courses from LinkedIn

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending