Azm04
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
Aston, Cardiff and Plymouth may be alright with your stats.
Plymouth depends a bit on the whether they increase UCAT cut off to cut numbers down, or leave it as requiring an A* A-level prediction like last year, so I would call them and ask.
You score full points on Cardiff’s academic scoring, but they have had more people with full marks than they have had interview places for in recent years, so have used PS and UCAT as a tiebreaker. You need to make sure you tailor your PS to their requirements if you apply.
Aston should be a reasonable choice.
Really appreciate your help, thank you.
stevo000
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have a question and if anyone knows the answer please reply. I know that applicants are scored and ranked out of 24 points. However does this not mean that those with achieved alevel grades will be able to get a better score and thus more likely to get an interview due to getting points for ahieved grades as well. Or are the "direct school leavers" and those with achieved alevels considered differently?
username5814956
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by stevo000)
I have a question and if anyone knows the answer please reply. I know that applicants are scored and ranked out of 24 points. However does this not mean that those with achieved alevel grades will be able to get a better score and thus more likely to get an interview due to getting points for ahieved grades as well. Or are the "direct school leavers" and those with achieved alevels considered differently?
I have the same questionnn
Lollipop1to3
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I thought they use a point system for the UCAT as well as your academic grades to rank you-out of 36, not 24?
Lollipop1to3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
probably quite obvious but how does the the 0.5 increments work for ucat scoring- does anyone know?..its kinda confusing
"We do not have a cut off score for the UCAT and we accept all four SJT
bands (1-4). The total possible range of UCAT scores are divided into equal
deciles from 3600 to 1200 with points, in 0.5 gradations awarded."
Last edited by Lollipop1to3; 1 month ago
Lollipop1to3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Also out of 36, what do you guys think the cut off will be 27, 30, 35?-especially seeing as they have about 60 places for non-contextual students. GANFYD any ideas please?
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lollipop1to3)
Also out of 36, what do you guys think the cut off will be 27, 30, 35?-especially seeing as they have about 60 places for non-contextual students. GANFYD any ideas please?
Never really looked at it, sorry
saranghoe
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by rvbot)
If you give off WP flags, you will automatically be given a reduced offer if you’re successful in the interview.
- What other unis did u apply to and what r ur stats please?????
El1267
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi !
I just sat my UCAT and got 2800 band 3
VR 550
DM 650
QR 800
AR 800

GCSEs
9 - Chemistry
8 - Biology, physics, maths, French, history
7 - Geography
6 - latin, eng lit, eng lang

A levels
AAA in Chemistry, Biology and Psychology (I am a reapplicant)

I previously applied to Liverpool, Leicester, Sheffield and Nottingham with UCAT 2750 band 2. I had an interview at Sheffield but was unsuccessful so was wanting to apply to different medical schools this year.

What medical schools would you suggest I have a look at with these stats? GANFYD
I have looked at Aston, ARU,UEA and HYMS are there any others you would advise looking into?
Thank you !
CoochieMan
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey hey Possibly considering Aston, still hella undecisive tho so lets see how it goes.

My stats are below:

Spoiler:
Show
3100 band 2
A*A*A*A achieved
999998888766A* grades (6 in lang, 9 in maths, 988 in sciences)
Volunteering in covid clinics and hospital (both clinical and non-clinical), might get a job as a HCA, job as till operator, private tutor <- Gap year stuff
Private tutor, Observe GP and BSMS, HR work experience in 2 companies that aren't related to medicine, caring experience between baby and elderly <- Before gap year

Contextual:
Parents didn't go uni
Postcode contextual for ACORN but not on the other website
Young carer
School can be contextual
Low income household

Is Aston the uni where they double your VR score when giving out points or is that another uni? Thanksss
stevo000
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CoochieMan)
Hey hey Possibly considering Aston, still hella undecisive tho so lets see how it goes.

My stats are below:

Spoiler:
Show
3100 band 2
A*A*A*A achieved
999998888766A* grades (6 in lang, 9 in maths, 988 in sciences)
Volunteering in covid clinics and hospital (both clinical and non-clinical), might get a job as a HCA, job as till operator, private tutor <- Gap year stuff
Private tutor, Observe GP and BSMS, HR work experience in 2 companies that aren't related to medicine, caring experience between baby and elderly <- Before gap year

Contextual:
Parents didn't go uni
Postcode contextual for ACORN but not on the other website
Young carer
School can be contextual
Low income household

Is Aston the uni where they double your VR score when giving out points or is that another uni? Thanksss
Thats Nottingham and Lincoln
CoochieMan
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thats Nottingham and Lincoln
Ahhhh thank you so much! I knew it was a university that was linked to another uni, just didn't know which. Appreciate it
username5814956
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
does aston favour locals more? do they have fewer spaces than other med schools?
stevo000
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Does anyone one know what some of the previous cut-off scores were for GCSE and UCAT out of 24?
CoochieMan
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Name:  hsdfhsdj.PNG
Views: 61
Size:  56.3 KB

Does that mean UCAT and achieved grades are used post interview?

GANFYD becausethenight (sorry for tagging)
KA_P
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Name:  hsdfhsdj.PNG
Views: 61
Size:  56.3 KB

Does that mean UCAT and achieved grades are used post interview?

GANFYD becausethenight (sorry for tagging)
I'd assume it means to shortlist for interview. Like they will be considered pre-interview?
CoochieMan
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by KA_P)
I'd assume it means to shortlist for interview. Like they will be considered pre-interview?
But they say "and we then use both of these and MMI results to offer a place to study medicine"
Last edited by CoochieMan; 1 month ago
KA_P
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
But they say "and we then use both of these and MMI results to offer a place to study medicine"
I think it means they'll use it before and after interviews then. Maybe to pick between two similar candidates. I might be wrong aha.
CoochieMan
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by KA_P)
I think it means they'll use it before and after interviews then. Maybe to pick between two similar candidates. I might be wrong aha.
Ooooh yeah it could be used for borderline cases. I might call them tomorrow (assuming I remember to haha) just to clarify
KA_P
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ooooh yeah it could be used for borderline cases. I might call them tomorrow (assuming I remember to haha) just to clarify
Ahaha great idea!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (316)
57.66%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (76)
13.87%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (61)
11.13%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (48)
8.76%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
4.74%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (21)
3.83%

Watched Threads