The Student Room Group

Computer science or law

I’m currently doing history economics and english lit to do a law degree but having my doubts about law - getting an actual job or being able to make a good salary.

I decided on computer science as an alternate degree,
but I have to take a gap year to do maths a level, if I want to get into a good uni. I could also do a GDL if I change my mind later on.

Worried on how much a gap year could set me back?
Original post by bdhdurjdj
I’m currently doing history economics and english lit to do a law degree but having my doubts about law - getting an actual job or being able to make a good salary.

I decided on computer science as an alternate degree,
but I have to take a gap year to do maths a level, if I want to get into a good uni. I could also do a GDL if I change my mind later on.

Worried on how much a gap year could set me back?

Lol I have no place to say this as I’m starting my a-levels in September so Idk if this is any help but I’ll give you what I think:

As long as you used the gap year wisely (like gaining experience for, in your instance, law and computer science), if you still have time to do so when you finish your a-level in maths.
Imo, I don’t think they would think bad of your gap year because you’re using it to do an a-level in maths which is a really good course to do and I guess, a good excuse. I don’t think it’s uncommon to do so either.

But, if you could fit any work experience in there, I would guarantee that universities will see the gap year as a really positive year.
Law - a useful degree, lots of different career options and not all within the Law sector, so dont dismiss it out of hand.
Law careers - https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/law AND https://www.thelawyerportal.com/blog/10-careers-good-law-degree/

Why have you now thought about CS if you are not currently doing Maths or CS at A level....? Remember, just having a degree is CS does not guarantee you a satisfying job, a happy life - and certainly not 'lots of money'.

Go to some Uni Open Days in September and listen to the subject talks for Law, CS and anything else that interests you.
This will show you what those subjects are like at University degree level - and what careers they can lead to. You might even find other subjects that also interest you.

Choosing a Subject at Uni - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/courses/i-want-to-go-to-uni-but-i-dont-know-what-to-study
Reply 3
Original post by Physīcs
Lol I have no place to say this as I’m starting my a-levels in September so Idk if this is any help but I’ll give you what I think:

As long as you used the gap year wisely (like gaining experience for, in your instance, law and computer science), if you still have time to do so when you finish your a-level in maths.
Imo, I don’t think they would think bad of your gap year because you’re using it to do an a-level in maths which is a really good course to do and I guess, a good excuse. I don’t think it’s uncommon to do so either.

But, if you could fit any work experience in there, I would guarantee that universities will see the gap year as a really positive year.

Thanks for your input :smile: I think I will do computer science
Original post by bdhdurjdj
Thanks for your input :smile: I think I will do computer science

Good luck!! And as you said, if you change your mind, you can always convert to law (GDL).
That’s what my dad did, and he’s now a solicitor.
So anything is possible and It’s always good to have back up plans!

Quick Reply

Latest