The Student Room Group

Honest budget for a gaming pc?

Hi, feels weird posting on here but thought why not...is £1,000 enough for a good gaming pc? I don't need 4k graphics (I mean who wouldn't want it haha but doubt I'll ever have the budget for one) just was debating about a good gaming pc one that will last for as long as possible and run Fifa(ye I bet u don't need a gd gaming pc for fifa just was a game I played I guess) and other games such as battle field(trying to get into gaming I dunno much about what games to play but was curious and wanted to get into gaming) and others people suggest. Well aware that I'm growing up very fast and start first year uni in September just never really had a console 🙃always shared one with my brother and he was never a good sharer. I guess I could use this gaming pc for uni work as well I mean it is a pc haha...I'm someone who don't know much about gaming pc but always been interested in them just never could afford one. If anyone has any advice in how to know all the pcs spec that would be helpful as well like I said I always was interested about them just don't know much about them I guess. Sorry if long. But, yes hope to get one summer 2022 if I need to save up for longer I could wait till summer 2023 but don't think I have much patience in waiting longer then this date I just don't but hey if suggested I'll do it. I don't work atm I'm just a student but yeah sorry if this long just guess it meant something to me.

Scroll to see replies

Depending on the size of your student loan, you may be able to get one throughout uni. I shopped smart and was able to get one for around £1k in 1st year, so it's entirely possible. As you said, you can also do work on it (though you are restricted to working at home), and that's what I do and I love my PC.

Timing is slightly awkward as graphics cards are incredibly pricey at the moment, and nobody is sure how long they will be for. I would still think you could certainly get a good one for 1k though. Building it is MUCH much cheaper, and it doesn't take *too* much to learn about it.

Subreddits like r/buildapc and websites like PCPartPicker are brilliant for that, and can help you on your way. I'm more than happy to help with any questions and whatnot.
Reply 2
Original post by Antpoolio
Depending on the size of your student loan, you may be able to get one throughout uni. I shopped smart and was able to get one for around £1k in 1st year, so it's entirely possible. As you said, you can also do work on it (though you are restricted to working at home), and that's what I do and I love my PC.

Timing is slightly awkward as graphics cards are incredibly pricey at the moment, and nobody is sure how long they will be for. I would still think you could certainly get a good one for 1k though. Building it is MUCH much cheaper, and it doesn't take *too* much to learn about it.

Subreddits like r/buildapc and websites like PCPartPicker are brilliant for that, and can help you on your way. I'm more than happy to help with any questions and whatnot.

So it's 9,250 per year if that means anything. Honestly I would love to save my own money I'm just not goof with hands or comfortable making the pc myself but I can see its expensive. Maybe I should wait till it gets cheaper? I just thought it would be a nice idea as I've saved £1,000 if I have to save more I'll do it because let's be honest I'm not gonna get another for another time. I'd preferable want one where you can upgrade it as much as possible when I get the money to do so if the pc let's me however, typing this makes me think that's not possible. I have many questions but I don't want to annoy you. 🙃I don't know much so I feel I will get scammed which sucks. I prefer a gaming pc not a laptop I just don't want a laptop I have one it's nothing special but does the job. But yes I was watching how to build gaming pc online and it peaked my interest but made me nervous that it could go wrong. I found a gaming pc but got told its awful 😢proves my knowledge is weak tbh. I just don't want to get scammed ik 4k is out my budget so not aiming for that. Just want a pc that can run games 1080p plus I don't play a lot of games but I would like to. I would like a pc that could be upgraded eventually if time comes. I just dunno if I'm mumbling or what I'm sayin at this stage. I just fedup with consoles been like this for awhile now fedup of sharing and them in general. I appreciate your comment. I was thinkin I could even use the gaming pc for class so win win. But yes not expecting expecting a nice reply as I probably wasted your time none of this is in order I'm fasting fast opens in a few mins at time of this so sorry about unclear bits. I was wondering if I should just keep saving up and waiting. If their is a place where o could learn everything tbh I have no clue I'm not a It guy just for as long as I can remember I always wanted a gaming pc but don't come from wealth. If I have to wait I understand but yes I'm serious about saving up the loan thing you said sounded super interesting I wish I understood what you meant.
Original post by Ketchup007
So it's 9,250 per year if that means anything. Honestly I would love to save my own money I'm just not goof with hands or comfortable making the pc myself but I can see its expensive. Maybe I should wait till it gets cheaper? I just thought it would be a nice idea as I've saved £1,000 if I have to save more I'll do it because let's be honest I'm not gonna get another for another time. I'd preferable want one where you can upgrade it as much as possible when I get the money to do so if the pc let's me however, typing this makes me think that's not possible. I have many questions but I don't want to annoy you. 🙃I don't know much so I feel I will get scammed which sucks. I prefer a gaming pc not a laptop I just don't want a laptop I have one it's nothing special but does the job. But yes I was watching how to build gaming pc online and it peaked my interest but made me nervous that it could go wrong. I found a gaming pc but got told its awful 😢proves my knowledge is weak tbh. I just don't want to get scammed ik 4k is out my budget so not aiming for that. Just want a pc that can run games 1080p plus I don't play a lot of games but I would like to. I would like a pc that could be upgraded eventually if time comes. I just dunno if I'm mumbling or what I'm sayin at this stage. I just fedup with consoles been like this for awhile now fedup of sharing and them in general. I appreciate your comment. I was thinkin I could even use the gaming pc for class so win win. But yes not expecting expecting a nice reply as I probably wasted your time none of this is in order I'm fasting fast opens in a few mins at time of this so sorry about unclear bits. I was wondering if I should just keep saving up and waiting. If their is a place where o could learn everything tbh I have no clue I'm not a It guy just for as long as I can remember I always wanted a gaming pc but don't come from wealth. If I have to wait I understand but yes I'm serious about saving up the loan thing you said sounded super interesting I wish I understood what you meant.

I'll try go through individual points to make it easier. It's not annoying, as if I did I wouldn't reply, so don't worry lol.

* All basic PCs can be taken apart and have parts replaced.
* Laptops are much more expensive and usually worse, so it's smart to go with a desktop.
* Avoid companies like Alienware, as they are incredibly overpriced. As I said, building it yourself is cheaper, but you may be able to buy it from a local PC shop and they can build it for you.
* It can go wrong, so yeah it's good to know what you're doing or do it with someone who does.
* £1k should definitely be enough for 1080p gaming, as that's how much I spent 3 years ago and it still does 1080p now.

For uni, your course fees are usually £9,250 and then you get a maintenance loan from student finance to pay for rent and food and that, and if you have some left over, that can pay for a PC (or help to).
Mid range gpu is about a grand.
Join the overclockers forum.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by random_matt
Mid range gpu is about a grand.
Join the overclockers forum.

Can you invite me?
Reply 6
I'll try go through individual points to make it easier. It's not annoying, as if I did I wouldn't reply, so don't worry lol.

* All basic PCs can be taken apart and have parts replaced.
* Laptops are much more expensive and usually worse, so it's smart to go with a desktop.
* Avoid companies like Alienware, as they are incredibly overpriced. As I said, building it yourself is cheaper, but you may be able to buy it from a local PC shop and they can build it for you.
* It can go wrong, so yeah it's good to know what you're doing or do it with someone who does.
* £1k should definitely be enough for 1080p gaming, as that's how much I spent 3 years ago and it still does 1080p now.

For uni, your course fees are usually £9,250 and then you get a maintenance loan from student finance to pay for rent and food and that, and if you have some left over, that can pay for a PC (or help to).

Can you suggest some you recommend buddy? Also, thank you. Your too kind. I wrote everything you said maybe it helps
You can build a PC that plays next gen games at 30 FPS at 1080p on Ultra settings for around £500. Pre-COVID, don't know if it's much more with pandemic-inflated prices though.

The main thing is the GPU / 'graphics card'. I got one that does the above (a 980 TI) for £160 on Ebay in 2019.
(edited 2 years ago)
Can you invite me?

Go on the forum and create an account.
Can you suggest some you recommend buddy? Also, thank you. Your too kind. I wrote everything you said maybe it helps

Suggest some pre-built PCs? I haven't had a look personally, so couldn't at this moment.

Also it does depend if you want it brand new or second-hand. As Ozzy said, you can get them cheaper on Ebay.
Suggest some pre-built PCs? I haven't had a look personally, so couldn't at this moment.

Also it does depend if you want it brand new or second-hand. As Ozzy said, you can get them cheaper on Ebay.

Prefer brand new but I don't mind ha. Oh np if u can't I have Time to decide just a bit excited that's all.
Prefer brand new but I don't mind ha. Oh np if u can't I have Time to decide just a bit excited that's all.

Something like these are a decent starting point. They'll easily do 1080p for a few years.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/scan-gamer-vega-amd-ryzen-7-5700g-16gb-ddr4-amd-radeon-rx-vega-1tb-ssd-2tb-hdd-win-10-see-info
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/scan-gamer-rx-amd-ryzen-5-5600x-16gb-ddr4-8gb-amd-radeon-rx-6600-xt-1tb-m2-ssd-win-10-see-info
https://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/system/infinity-x105-gaming-pc
https://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/system/ultra-r35-elite-gaming-pc
https://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/system/amd-5000-series-ryzen-5-custom-pc-builder

I found a website called Chillblast which actually build it for you. The prices are higher than somewhere like Amazon, but obviously they do the hard work. Hope that's some help :smile:

https://www.chillblast.com/build-a-full-size-atx-amd-ryzen-pc.html#product-details-tab-customise

What moniter do you suggest also is a moniter better then then a pc? Curious. Thank you so much I'm looking now! Another question is if let's say I brought parts could I go for example Curry's and ask them to assemble it for me? If so is it free how much would it cost if it does cost money and time frame? I was gonna try saving for a 1440p but unsure really. Is RYzen better? Been trying to do some research. Mostly, on the saving up world right now but yes I'm determined to save up really want one.
What moniter do you suggest also is a moniter better then then a pc? Curious. Thank you so much I'm looking now! Another question is if let's say I brought parts could I go for example Curry's and ask them to assemble it for me? If so is it free how much would it cost if it does cost money and time frame? I was gonna try saving for a 1440p but unsure really. Is RYzen better? Been trying to do some research. Mostly, on the saving up world right now but yes I'm determined to save up really want one.

For a monitor, I'd look closer at the time as there's always different deals around. I'd suggest going for either a 24 or 27 inch with 1080p (or 1440p if you do want higher res), and if you can afford it, get it 144 Hz as it is MUCH more smooth (as it allows you to see 144 fps compared to the standard 60).

In terms of shops building it, I'm not sure. It'd be best to contact them yourself and asking. If chains can't, I'm sure you could find a local PC store to do it for you (though I'd imagine they would charge you).

Ryzen is better from what I know, as Intel is usually much more expensive and not worth it (I have an i7 8700k, but the last few years it hasn't been worth it).

Continue saving up, and in the meantime keep looking into it and learning. As I said, Youtube and Reddit are very helpful for this kind of thing.
For a monitor, I'd look closer at the time as there's always different deals around. I'd suggest going for either a 24 or 27 inch with 1080p (or 1440p if you do want higher res), and if you can afford it, get it 144 Hz as it is MUCH more smooth (as it allows you to see 144 fps compared to the standard 60).

In terms of shops building it, I'm not sure. It'd be best to contact them yourself and asking. If chains can't, I'm sure you could find a local PC store to do it for you (though I'd imagine they would charge you).

Ryzen is better from what I know, as Intel is usually much more expensive and not worth it (I have an i7 8700k, but the last few years it hasn't been worth it).

Continue saving up, and in the meantime keep looking into it and learning. As I said, Youtube and Reddit are very helpful for this kind of thing.

I meant is a monuter better then a TV excuse my typo. But ah ok I wanted to be prepared. Sounds silly but I was gonna keep saving and December next year consider buying one with a 2,500 budget I'd say 2k on pc then maybe 500 well I would like a monister no more then 400 but prefer a 300 one if a cheaper could be found dope.(1k budget works as well) This way I could have enough for some games. Debating what to do tbh I learnt Rysen is better then Intel and been trying to watch some videos on how to build looks fun asf but not something I'm gd at. I looked at the pcs u suggested the last link seemed the best out of them all. But then again I dunno if it is. Ive decide I won't be going for Intel learnt some stuff not much but better then nothing. The pc build thing makes sense that shops would charge me. After looking constantly I can't seem to find a gd pc 😕that's affordable and doesn't have trash in it. I really would like a good cooler as I learnt they can get hot quick which in turn ruins the graphics card ect. I was thinking Rysen 7? Lowest rysen 5. I again dunno much about all of them 😕but thinking hard. I assuming people spend most on the processor so rysen whatever one u choose and the graphics card. Trying to learn bits about the mother board like which one is the best. Biggest reason Intel won't even be considered is because you can't really upgrade them whilst a rysen more chance. I doubt I'd upgrade it in all honesty but not my point I would prefer the option of bejb able to then not bein able to. Might of repeated it but thanks for the website you provided where they build it for you unfortunately I tried going low and it still was 2,500 which sucked but was expected. Anyway, what pc do you have my friend like specs as well curious and do you enjoy it? My biggest problem is patience buddy..I was thinking to go for ps5 when uts avaliable as it will be cheaper at times it bothers me how expensive pcs are but I think I'll just wait. Thank u for all help u provided bless u man.
I meant is a monuter better then a TV excuse my typo. But ah ok I wanted to be prepared. Sounds silly but I was gonna keep saving and December next year consider buying one with a 2,500 budget I'd say 2k on pc then maybe 500 well I would like a monister no more then 400 but prefer a 300 one if a cheaper could be found dope.(1k budget works as well) This way I could have enough for some games. Debating what to do tbh I learnt Rysen is better then Intel and been trying to watch some videos on how to build looks fun asf but not something I'm gd at. I looked at the pcs u suggested the last link seemed the best out of them all. But then again I dunno if it is. Ive decide I won't be going for Intel learnt some stuff not much but better then nothing. The pc build thing makes sense that shops would charge me. After looking constantly I can't seem to find a gd pc 😕that's affordable and doesn't have trash in it. I really would like a good cooler as I learnt they can get hot quick which in turn ruins the graphics card ect. I was thinking Rysen 7? Lowest rysen 5. I again dunno much about all of them 😕but thinking hard. I assuming people spend most on the processor so rysen whatever one u choose and the graphics card. Trying to learn bits about the mother board like which one is the best. Biggest reason Intel won't even be considered is because you can't really upgrade them whilst a rysen more chance. I doubt I'd upgrade it in all honesty but not my point I would prefer the option of bejb able to then not bein able to. Might of repeated it but thanks for the website you provided where they build it for you unfortunately I tried going low and it still was 2,500 which sucked but was expected. Anyway, what pc do you have my friend like specs as well curious and do you enjoy it? My biggest problem is patience buddy..I was thinking to go for ps5 when uts avaliable as it will be cheaper at times it bothers me how expensive pcs are but I think I'll just wait. Thank u for all help u provided bless u man.

Monitors are much better than TVs, as I believe almost all TVs are 144Hz, and aren't designed to be up so close. In terms of coolers, all Ryzen CPUs come with one, and you just want fans in the case to help that out. The CPU and GPU are the 2 most expensive parts, yeah, and want them to be about equal in terms of how good they are so one doesn't bottleneck the other (eg no point having an i7 with a 3050). Motherboards don't really matter, as long as it has enough slots for your GPU and RAM and whatnot.

I'm not sure how the cheapest you got was £2,500 as I built one on there for just over 1k, and it was still very good. My current PC is an i7 8700k, 1060 6gb with a 500gb M2 SSD and 2tb HDD, along with 16gb 3200 mhz RAM.
Hi, feels weird posting on here but thought why not...is £1,000 enough for a good gaming pc? I don't need 4k graphics (I mean who wouldn't want it haha but doubt I'll ever have the budget for one) just was debating about a good gaming pc one that will last for as long as possible and run Fifa(ye I bet u don't need a gd gaming pc for fifa just was a game I played I guess) and other games such as battle field(trying to get into gaming I dunno much about what games to play but was curious and wanted to get into gaming) and others people suggest. Well aware that I'm growing up very fast and start first year uni in September just never really had a console 🙃always shared one with my brother and he was never a good sharer. I guess I could use this gaming pc for uni work as well I mean it is a pc haha...I'm someone who don't know much about gaming pc but always been interested in them just never could afford one. If anyone has any advice in how to know all the pcs spec that would be helpful as well like I said I always was interested about them just don't know much about them I guess. Sorry if long. But, yes hope to get one summer 2022 if I need to save up for longer I could wait till summer 2023 but don't think I have much patience in waiting longer then this date I just don't but hey if suggested I'll do it. I don't work atm I'm just a student but yeah sorry if this long just guess it meant something to me.

I got my gaming pc for like £650 in 2018. It still runs battlefield 5, witcher 3, LOL, Red dead redemption 2 etc..use pcspecialist (search them up on google) they build your pc for you and it is usually cheaper than getting it prebuilt.

Otherwise, watch a few youtube videos and build it yourself!
Monitors are much better than TVs, as I believe almost all TVs are 144Hz, and aren't designed to be up so close. In terms of coolers, all Ryzen CPUs come with one, and you just want fans in the case to help that out. The CPU and GPU are the 2 most expensive parts, yeah, and want them to be about equal in terms of how good they are so one doesn't bottleneck the other (eg no point having an i7 with a 3050). Motherboards don't really matter, as long as it has enough slots for your GPU and RAM and whatnot.

I'm not sure how the cheapest you got was £2,500 as I built one on there for just over 1k, and it was still very good. My current PC is an i7 8700k, 1060 6gb with a 500gb M2 SSD and 2tb HDD, along with 16gb 3200 mhz RAM.

Oh ok thanks thought moniters were better as well. All Rysens come with coolers even to the UK? Also, are they good enough or would you suggest more spent on them just been watching some vjds prob terrible source with ppl who have crazy high expectations for pcs but they have ruined coolers for me I keep thinking it's best to buy best money worth coolers because of it. Oh ye so it gd investing the most into the processure and graphics card right? The mother board thing you said so I could buy any mother board and everything would fit? Apologise for dumb questions at least this is keeping my mind occupied before uni starts lol...just over thinking mother boards and what motherboard do you have or do you have any recommendations? I looked at Pc world curries and it messed with my head lol that motherboards are super important and that u need to find the right one to fit all the parts.the slots thing you said for the motherboard and ram that you said ect how much slots of each do you recommend or is needed? Hope that made sense knowing me I worded it in a stupid way...yes I for real don't know how it was 2,500 either it's just it asked for so much I did try keeping it super low it was kinda sad tbh or maybe it's me probably just me but I promise I did try keeping it low. Oh that's your pc specs nice! How is it running? Again thanks for all the help I'll try keeping saving up it just blows waiting what feels forever ha but ye.
Original post by MrStealYoGrill
I got my gaming pc for like £650 in 2018. It still runs battlefield 5, witcher 3, LOL, Red dead redemption 2 etc..use pcspecialist (search them up on google) they build your pc for you and it is usually cheaper than getting it prebuilt.

Otherwise, watch a few youtube videos and build it yourself!

So they build it and just ship it to me right? And nice really? I wish I was u ha. Glad stuff still works tbh what's your pc specs pretty curious? And ye been watching so many vids my gut says to get someone to build it for me or get a already built one tbh as it just what my gut says. Annoying thing about yt is these ppl ha crazy high expectations even on budget pcs and it ruins it for me sometimes.

Did they ship it made to u ir just parts curious forget askin last msg.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending