Advice on going for second choice uni or taking a gap year

Watch this thread
immyn
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi guys,

I applied for History of Art with 2A*s and 1A predicted and got into both Bristol and St Andrews. I put St Andrews down as my firm and Edinburgh (also got in) as my insurance but have since changed my mind and really want to go to Bristol.

Results day went well and I got my predicted grades but Bristol had no places through clearing. I don't really want to take a gap year but Bristol is still my dream university. Do I go for St Andrews or take a gap year and hopefully go to Bristol? Any advice much appreciated!
Last edited by immyn; 8 months ago
StarLinyx
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
Why have you turned on St Andrews?
Spennyboi
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
Going to a university solely with the purpose of transferring is a very bad idea. Its not bad to go and try transfer, but only if you would be happy to stay on at St Andrews. In my opinion anyway.
StarLinyx
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
The only bad thing I have to say about St Andrews is the isolated location, although Dundee is only a taxi ride away for a good night out with friends.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
Phone Bristol asap - make them aware that you had an offer from them and that you are interested in a HoA place if someone drops out.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by immyn)
Hi guys,

I applied for History of Art with 2A*s and 1A predicted and got into both Bristol and St Andrews. I put St Andrews down as my firm and Edinburgh (also got in) as my insurance but have since changed my mind and really want to go to Bristol.

Results day went well and I got my predicted grades but Bristol had no places through clearing. I don't really want to take a gap year but Bristol is still my dream university. Do I go for St Andrews or take a gap year and hopefully go to Bristol? Any advice much appreciated!
Hi

If it is your dream to go to Bristol and it is possible for you to go next year, i would say follow your dream!

But you have to take into account being a year behind etc. if this doesn't bother you then i would trust your gut. That being said St. Andrews is a very good university and im sure you would have a great time wherever you go. Only you know what feels like the right choice at the end of the day

Andrew
Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (62)
15.62%
The paper was reasonable (193)
48.61%
Not feeling great about that exam... (100)
25.19%
It was TERRIBLE (42)
10.58%

Watched Threads