Tarik.al-obeid
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Anyone else gonna be starting Japanese in 2021?
GregC225
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
I'll be doing Japanese, TESOL and Linguistics mate. You doing that or the Intercultural Communication one?
Moxey
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
Hey, just wanted to reply to the thread to say I just finished my first year of Japanese, TESOL and Linguistics, so people can message me if they have any questions about the uni, city of York, Japanese/Linguistics courses or anything else.

Good luck to you both and all the other freshers starting next month!
GregC225
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Moxey)
Hey, just wanted to reply to the thread to say I just finished my first year of Japanese, TESOL and Linguistics, so people can message me if they have any questions about the uni, city of York, Japanese/Linguistics courses or anything else.

Good luck to you both and all the other freshers starting next month!
I've got probably a million questions but I'll start off simple I guess. How was it? Easy, difficult? Ratio of written work and conversational stuff? Mostly textbook-based? I have about 4.5 years of self-study under my belt already so I already know the basics of the language.
Moxey
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by GregC225)
I've got probably a million questions but I'll start off simple I guess. How was it? Easy, difficult? Ratio of written work and conversational stuff? Mostly textbook-based? I have about 4.5 years of self-study under my belt already so I already know the basics of the language.
When you arrive you do a little placement test to determine your level of Japanese, but since you have 4.5 years of self study, you will probably be in the Intensive Japanese group (or it was called Intensive Japanese this year, I think it might be called Japanese Communication for the upcoming year). I was in the other group, which is aimed at learning Japanese from scratch. My content was pretty easy -- the first few weeks being purely learning Kana, etc.

After learning Kana we went through the book Genki 1, a chapter per week (not completing the book). The only real conversational stuff we got to go through was repeating out loud the conversations from Genki. I imagine you will get more if you're placed into Intensive Japanese.

It was largely textbook-based: we had to buy a copy of Genki 1 each and study each chapter each week before class. The Kanji learned each week are also from Genki. Second year is much less textbook-based from what I have heard so far.

Speaking of second year, both groups are joined back into one for second year. The 'lower' Japanese group, Accelerated Japanese, is named so because it is meant to quickly get all students up to a similar pace, ready for second year.

Sorry for the long reply, hope it helped!
CaitlinMc1506
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Tarik.al-obeid)
Anyone else gonna be starting Japanese in 2021?
I’m going to be starting; my course is Japanese, Linguistics & TESOL
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (12)
13.95%
The paper was reasonable (40)
46.51%
Not feeling great about that exam... (27)
31.4%
It was TERRIBLE (7)
8.14%

Watched Threads