The Student Room Group

Is summer revision really needed?

Hi all,

So the summer is coming to an end and I am going into year 11 in September. I haven’t been doing much revision during summer except watching some English lit videos on YouTube. But I know that a lot of my friends were revising all this time and one of them even posted a story which really made me stress out. I was just thinking that I should have (or at least hope so) a lot of time to revise throughout the year and the stuff I do now will be forgotten anyway and I will have to go through it again. But now I am doubting myself. Now I can’t calm myself down thinking of how much time I wasted. If there’s anyone who has been though year 11 can help to comfort me I would be very grateful<3
Reply 1
Hi, first of all please don't stress!!! I am actually glad to hear that you haven't done any revision over the summer, the last school year has been really tough so a break will have done you good.
When I was in year 10 going into year 11, I created a whole revision timetable for over summer... and you know what? I didn't end up doing a single piece of revision (in fact that revision plan is still untouched stuck on the inside of my wardrobe lol). I also got 8s and 9s at GCSE so it didn't really stop me from achieving good grades! What I mean to say is that although it could be good for you to briefly go over content you learned in year 10, there isn't much point of learning new content or doing proper hardcore revision just yet as you will likely burn yourself out: pleaseeee just save proper studying for your mocks.
If you truly feel like you should do something, over this and next week, without putting too much pressure on yourself, refresh your brain by skimming over your revision guides/school books - I think that the only benefit of this is just to ease yourself back into the studying mindset, so you aren't too shocked when you go back in September.
Good luck and I hope this made u feel a lil better, if you ever want any more advice just message me <3
Original post by Marxx
Hi all,

So the summer is coming to an end and I am going into year 11 in September. I haven’t been doing much revision during summer except watching some English lit videos on YouTube. But I know that a lot of my friends were revising all this time and one of them even posted a story which really made me stress out. I was just thinking that I should have (or at least hope so) a lot of time to revise throughout the year and the stuff I do now will be forgotten anyway and I will have to go through it again. But now I am doubting myself. Now I can’t calm myself down thinking of how much time I wasted. If there’s anyone who has been though year 11 can help to comfort me I would be very grateful<3

DONT REVISE IN Y11 SUMMER. seriously just don't. I'm going into y13 and in my y11 summer i did nothing. this is the time to relax plz relax. Just revise from the start of y12 and youll be completely fine srsly (I've gotten AAB at the end of y12 A is the highest at AS so they decent. i didnt work that hard in y12 hence the B but srsly dont stress like work from the start of y12 and youre on the road to A* in y13)
I did absolutely nothing in the summer before year 11 and I don't even know 1 person who even revised during their summer. In a few months you'll be wondering why did you even waste your summer revising. You'll do fine in yr11 just enjoy yourself for now whilst you have the chance
Reply 4
Original post by iz.05
Hi, first of all please don't stress!!! I am actually glad to hear that you haven't done any revision over the summer, the last school year has been really tough so a break will have done you good.
When I was in year 10 going into year 11, I created a whole revision timetable for over summer... and you know what? I didn't end up doing a single piece of revision (in fact that revision plan is still untouched stuck on the inside of my wardrobe lol). I also got 8s and 9s at GCSE so it didn't really stop me from achieving good grades! What I mean to say is that although it could be good for you to briefly go over content you learned in year 10, there isn't much point of learning new content or doing proper hardcore revision just yet as you will likely burn yourself out: pleaseeee just save proper studying for your mocks.
If you truly feel like you should do something, over this and next week, without putting too much pressure on yourself, refresh your brain by skimming over your revision guides/school books - I think that the only benefit of this is just to ease yourself back into the studying mindset, so you aren't too shocked when you go back in September.
Good luck and I hope this made u feel a lil better, if you ever want any more advice just message me <3

Thank you so much for this, I really appreciate it. During year 10 I also created the whole revision time table, thinking I will revise every single day. But year 10 has been so mentally exhausting and hard that I didn’t do any. I feel like year 11 will be very overloaded but I should be able to revise during school weeks right?
Reply 5
Original post by Marxx
Hi all,

I would say if you really believe that you are falling behind/forgetting a lot, then keep the revision light - maybe re-read the book your studying for literature and maybe go through some flashcards (if you have some made). The summer before Y11 is definitely well placed for you to relax before your final year doing GCSE's. Don't be too stressed and relax while you can.
Reply 6
Original post by Da14a
I would say if you really believe that you are falling behind/forgetting a lot, then keep the revision light - maybe re-read the book your studying for literature and maybe go through some flashcards (if you have some made). The summer before Y11 is definitely well placed for you to relax before your final year doing GCSE's. Don't be too stressed and relax while you can.

No so the main problem is that I am a huge overthinker and a person that will constantly worry for no reason. Even though I got 7s and 8s for year 10 mocks I always have a feeling that what I do is not enough. So I am not behind or anything but still feel the need to overload myself and revise. It is hard to convince myself otherwise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending