The Student Room Group

Equipment Checklist for freshers?

Hi, our eldest is off to uni (with catered accommodation) next month. Is there a checklist with things he’ll need/we or relatives can buy in advance? Thanks
Original post by TSRMousse100
Hi, our eldest is off to uni (with catered accommodation) next month. Is there a checklist with things he’ll need/we or relatives can buy in advance? Thanks

Hi :smile:

It depends on the accommodation - if their room has an en-suite then a bathmat for the floor might come in handy. I take it if their accommodation is catered they wont have a kitchen so things like pots and pans wont be necessary.

I left most of my shopping until i arrived at uni, it gave me a good excuse to go with my flatmates to buy extra things i hadn't bought and i got to know them well through doing things like this especially in the first week!

I would hold off buying books until they visit the library and see what is already available, books can be very expensive and you may not need them.

Andrew
UoP Student Rep
Original post by TSRMousse100

Hi @TSRMousse100,

First of all congrats to your eldest!
To answer your question there is no fixed list as to what to buy/ bring to university as it differs depending on circumstances e.g. a uni may provide a bedroom and kitchen set for a price, cutting down on what you need to bring to the university. I have attached a few websites for you and your family to have a look at as a guide when making your own list. Do remember that some courses may have extra costs for course materials e.g. architecture students may need to put aside extra money for their supplies.

https://www.ucas.com/connect/blogs/big-list-absolutely-everything-you-need-take-university
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/applying-for-university/university-life/what-to-take-to-university

You may also spend some money on course books, but do remember that the university should have copies of course books (upper years may also sell their old books) and in some cases, e-books may be better than a physical book, so it may be better to have the money ready but wait before definitely buying the book.
Side tip - some companies may be doing university sets for different things so keep an eye out for those!

Hopefully, this helps,
Goodness.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending