what sixth form is the best?

Watch this thread
sototo
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
which sixth form sounds better? the first is closer, has a free bus, it’s a college students only takes me straight there bus, i have to be there longer waiting for the bus which means it kind of makes me do my homework because sometimes i get distracted at home, they post more information and are definitely having an in person open day, they have more video tasters, a lot of good ppl i know are going, their results are good and they have good field trips (economics goes to new york, paris and london !!) but they don’t do politics. the second one is further away (1 1/2 hour journey) and doesn’t have a college bus or any bus passes- let alone free ones- and it’s a bit more tricky to get to (it’s double the travel time ) but it starts later, does offer politics and more of the ppl from my school seem to be going (but not my closest friends) and they have a better reputation but they don’t rlly post much info which is annoying but it is close to a cute park and i can like come and go when i want between classes and there are shops nearby and the actual campus is rlly pretty but the actual area around isn’t very nice.
Elisabeth Hughes
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by sototo)
which sixth form sounds better? the first is closer, has a free bus, it’s a college students only takes me straight there bus, i have to be there longer waiting for the bus which means it kind of makes me do my homework because sometimes i get distracted at home, they post more information and are definitely having an in person open day, they have more video tasters, a lot of good ppl i know are going, their results are good and they have good field trips (economics goes to new york, paris and london !!) but they don’t do politics. the second one is further away (1 1/2 hour journey) and doesn’t have a college bus or any bus passes- let alone free ones- and it’s a bit more tricky to get to (it’s double the travel time ) but it starts later, does offer politics and more of the ppl from my school seem to be going (but not my closest friends) and they have a better reputation but they don’t rlly post much info which is annoying but it is close to a cute park and i can like come and go when i want between classes and there are shops nearby and the actual campus is rlly pretty but the actual area around isn’t very nice.
Overall choosing between sixth forms is an innately personal decision, so any advice I offer would just be from a personal perspective - however, on paper, it seems that the first sixth form seems the most viable option. If you can gather a clear sense of the campus and their communication is good enough to give you a 'feel' for the school, you'll be in a better position to tell whether it's the right decision for you. I ended up going to a college in which I knew nothing about before I started; still had a great time, but sometimes I wonder if I should've prepped first!

In terms of not offering politics, this could be a deal-breaker. How determined are you to use the subject? Do you need it for a future course? Is it worth basing your entire sixth form decision off of? I'd advise that, before you even begin to make a choice between the two schools, think if there's another subject you could easily take instead. If you can't imagine doing anything else, then perhaps think of going to the school that offers politics.

In your post you also mentioned a 'cute park' - whilst college amenities can definitely cheer up your daily routine, don't assume you'll be able to have the time/motivation to meander there etc during free periods. From personal experience, I chose a college in the city and saw myself visiting museums, eating at cafes, doing loads of 'idyllic' activities - when in actual fact, I think I've been into the museum once and I've never been to the cafe. A-levels are very time consuming - so try to remain realistic! But then again, I don't know if maybe you'd just have more motivation than me to do these things

To conclude, you should really just go with your gut (the dreaded phrase.) It may seem like a monumental decision but you can always move in the first few weeks, or just get settled into the routine. Tbh, it might not matter where precisely you go - college is what you make of it!

Hope this helped!
sototo
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by Elisabeth Hughes)
Overall choosing between sixth forms is an innately personal decision, so any advice I offer would just be from a personal perspective - however, on paper, it seems that the first sixth form seems the most viable option. If you can gather a clear sense of the campus and their communication is good enough to give you a 'feel' for the school, you'll be in a better position to tell whether it's the right decision for you. I ended up going to a college in which I knew nothing about before I started; still had a great time, but sometimes I wonder if I should've prepped first!

In terms of not offering politics, this could be a deal-breaker. How determined are you to use the subject? Do you need it for a future course? Is it worth basing your entire sixth form decision off of? I'd advise that, before you even begin to make a choice between the two schools, think if there's another subject you could easily take instead. If you can't imagine doing anything else, then perhaps think of going to the school that offers politics.

In your post you also mentioned a 'cute park' - whilst college amenities can definitely cheer up your daily routine, don't assume you'll be able to have the time/motivation to meander there etc during free periods. From personal experience, I chose a college in the city and saw myself visiting museums, eating at cafes, doing loads of 'idyllic' activities - when in actual fact, I think I've been into the museum once and I've never been to the cafe. A-levels are very time consuming - so try to remain realistic! But then again, I don't know if maybe you'd just have more motivation than me to do these things

To conclude, you should really just go with your gut (the dreaded phrase.) It may seem like a monumental decision but you can always move in the first few weeks, or just get settled into the routine. Tbh, it might not matter where precisely you go - college is what you make of it!

Hope this helped!
Politics doesn’t open up any options for me and I’ve realised I could just do my EPQ on a politics related topic and do reading around it. The first sixth form offers economics which has a similar appeal. Honestly even if I did go to the park during free periods it would probably just be a distraction and a way to procrastinate. My gut is telling me the first sixth form suits me better and is more familiar and comfortable. Would Biology, psychology, economics and english lit be a good combination? Thank you so much for your help!!
Elisabeth Hughes
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by sototo)
Politics doesn’t open up any options for me and I’ve realised I could just do my EPQ on a politics related topic and do reading around it. The first sixth form offers economics which has a similar appeal. Honestly even if I did go to the park during free periods it would probably just be a distraction and a way to procrastinate. My gut is telling me the first sixth form suits me better and is more familiar and comfortable. Would Biology, psychology, economics and english lit be a good combination? Thank you so much for your help!!
hey!! glad to be of help! i'd say they're good subjects, with your english lit showing range outside of a STEM field! good luck, enjoy your first year!! xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (67)
65.69%
No (26)
25.49%
I didn't use it to prepare (9)
8.82%

Watched Threads