The Student Room Group

Marks & Spencers - unsuccessful application... or is it?!

So i applied to m&s online and didnt get through the first time... so i read a few posts on the big m&s thread and someone posted that they didnt get through so they made another email, applied again and got through. So i did exactly that and got through. I have an interview booked on tuesday. then a couple of days later i got this email:

Further to your online application dated 18/10/08, for the position of customer assistant at store, unfortunately on this occasion we are unable to accept your new application.

Our records indicate that you submitted an unsuccessful application dated 17/10/08 and in line with Marks and Spencer policy we cannot accept any further applications for a period of six months.

I can confirm that this was communicated to you in an email dated 17/10/08.

Please accept my sincere apologies and I wish you every success in your future career.

Kind regards

Mike Rice
Resource Administrator
HR Shared Service
Marks & Spencer

But when i logged in on m&s website and clicked review status it still says my interviews confirmed.... so am i safe?!

Im literally freaking out right now and im so desperate to work for m&s. I've heard they're great employers.. i just dont want to turn up to my interview and get rejected saying im not booked for one. :frown: :confused: :frown: :confused:

Help!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Phone them up to check if you want to be certain - but that email is fairly clear in that you have not got through, so I would give up if I were you.
Reply 2
Thanks, but i got that email a couple of days after i got through and it still says im booked in for an interview...
Reply 3
Then you need to phone them up and tell them this - how can we sort it out for you?
Reply 4
Err because maybe someone has been in the same situation and can help me out...
Reply 5
The quiz you have to do online is really easy - if you fail it, it means you don't know much about customer service, something with M&S is extremely keen on. They don't allow you to resubmit applications within six months otherwise you could just keep on doing the test until you got it right. You did it twice, the second time you got it right. Obviously, something was flagged up on your application, which they noticed, and they matched up your new application to your old application. So whilst your new application made you eligible for interview, as soon as they figured out that you had already failed the test in a previous application, they emailed you to remind you of the fact that you cannot resubmit your application. So no interview for you. If the fact that it says 'interview confirmed' on your new application bothers you and makes you think you have a chance, then as I said before, you need to phone them up and ask because they are the ones personally dealing with your application and can make these kinds of decisions. But the email from them is explicitly telling you that you do not have a chance; "I wish you every success in your future career" is a firm no.
Reply 6
Well obviously... but as i said in my first post.. someone applied twice and got the job..
Reply 7
Bump
Just phone them up tomorrow.
I bet they asked you to complete some ridiculous bull**** questionnaire?
PHONE THEM !! o
Reply 11
Phone them up, but I'm with rottcodd on this one.
No one on this forum is the employment sector of M&S, its them you need to speak to not a load of students.
Just don't turn up, the store has probabaly already been told but the online system hasn't been updated.
Reply 14
Do you think if i printed out my confirmation email id get away with it?
To be honest if you couldn't pass the internet thing first time round, I don't think you will pass the real one.

You will get found out. They have told you not to come. Don't.

Or, what most people would do in this situation, would be to ring the store/contact given to confirm this. Not consult people on a forum or "try to get away with it".
Reply 16
As i said.. someone got through second time and got the job.
Just ring the store, they will tell you.
I work for M&S, had the same bother when I started 2 year ago, the e-mail is more than likey right because they can't accept the same application for 6 months. It's exactly the same if you on a temporary contract and get finished, they can't take you on for another 6 month, unless you get kept on, it's a bit daft how it works but that's M&S for you :/ If you're stuck on it again, give me a bell, be happy to help :biggrin:
Reply 19
I'd go and not mention it..calling them will only arouse suspicion unless you just say 'I want to confirm my interiew slot' and leave it at that..
Alot of the recruitment stuff is handled by head office, my online application didn't come into my interview at all - infact they didn't know what position/hours I had even applied for anyway. It might become an issue when you sign contract and this goes through head office? I'm not sure though - They employ so many people this time of year so you could give it a shot..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending